Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #16
Jay S.
600cc Beast

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
My Y2K Concours was big, smooth, roomy, & fast. For 11 years she met my needs well. As I got older & smaller, she got bigger & heavier. When I saw a 2009 GSX 650 F at the right price, I jumped. This bike has, oddly, exactly the same ergos as my old Connie (which were perfect for me) The seat-peg-bar relationship was almost identical. She's heavy, @ 500 lbs full of gas, but after the Connie, she feels like a bicycle. I added hot grips, Motofizz tankbag, and a Kreiga 20 L. tailpack. I've got 4000 miles in 4 months & so far it's been a real gem. The old Connie was smoother & the speed was almost effortless, (I have Ct. State Trooper performance awards to prove it) This 650 is just as fast, but it takes more revs & means more wind in the face. That's a good thing. This time, when the troopers congratulate me, I'll at least know what they are talking about. I thought that a new seat would be in order, but after 4000 miles, the stocker seems to be breaking in. I'll hold off on that Sargent seat for another year & see. A Vario touring screen might also be in my future, but again, I'll hold off & see. It's slightly less fun to blast down the slab to get somewhere (like N. Que., BRP, Mid Ohio) but it's a lot more fun once I get there.
Pics Jim? I only say that because I think the 650F is a very nice looking bike. That is actually the bike I was planning on buying last winter but Suzuki did not bring any new models in and I didn't like the blue/white or orange/black colors that were leftover from 2009. Not that there is anything wrong with those colors, but I wanted a more solid colored bike. I rode a friends 650F on a couple weekends in 2009 and really loved that bike and how it rode. Eventually I got tired of trying to find a new leftover 2008 in black/silver and I bought the FZ6R...and 10 months later I have zero regrets. The seating position was just slightly more forward than the 6R. Both ride extremely well though. I wish Suzuki would bring some of the same colors that you can get in Europe and Australia. I posted a pic in the "sexiest road warrior" thread of a really nice blue/gray 650F. Okay, I'll stop now, I just think the 650F is one nice looking bike. I'm sure someone else will say it's ugly, hehe, to each their own.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #17
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Here's mine...

alii1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #18
See red OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I would absolutely agree that the gsx-f is a beautiful bike, one of the dumbest things suzuki did was stop bringing them in 09. I like the trio of "standards" but my ultimate pick would have been a new 650f, I was able to drive both the yamy and the kawi but none of the dealers for suzuki would let me test the dam thing I didn't want to even consider it. I wouldn't buy a car with out test driving it either.

I like your sv, I have seen a few put together well for touring.
See red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #19
See red OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
wait thats not a sv! lmao! oops.....
See red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #20
Jay S.
600cc Beast

Oddometer: 88
Not my bike...but I wish it was.

Found this when I was shopping for my bike last year. Love this bike...kinda wish I owned one.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #21
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Could you convert the GSX650F to an upright rider? Replace the seat, add hard bags, mount bars with a nice pullback for an upright experience, and a much taller windscreen and you have it. Maybe a Madstad add on screen? Radial tires, ABS and a modern chassis would be a huge upgrade from my modified Nighthawk. I would miss the shaft drive.

2000 ST1100 ABS

jspringator screwed with this post 09-10-2011 at 05:16 PM
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #22
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
Could you convert the GSX650F to an upright rider? Replace the seat, add hard bags, mount bars with a nice pullback for an upright experience, and a much taller windscreen and you have it. Maybe a Madstad add on screen? Radial tires, ABS and a modern chassis would be a huge upgrade from my modified Nighthawk. I would miss the shaft drive.
It is fairly upright to begin with. Bars might be all it takes.

And I wouldn't sweat the chain and sprockets, you can all but ignore them for 20,000 miles and then buy a new set.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:06 AM   #23
RedEX
NeverSatisfied

Oddometer: 22
Good Ol' EX500

The current state of affairs, although I hesitate to call a Ninja 500 a real "sport bike". Now wearing a PowerBronze touring screen with MRA Vario spoiler including custom-cut (larger) spoiler, although I alternate between that and a Madstad screen. Bar risers, heated grips, HVMP bar ends, highway pegs, Corbin seat, and full set of Givi hard luggage. Very few options for mounting the Givi's to an EX500 so I had to fabricate my own mounts. Changed out the fork springs and rear shock spring as well. Getting a solid 55+ mpg riding two-up. Just rolled over 31,000 miles on it. With it's 4.8 gallon tank I never worry about gassing up until about 200 miles on the trip-meter. Sort of like a "mini-Concours"!

The cases are E-21's and a V-35 topcase.

Yea I know, it's not a 600/650!
Attached Images

Current:
2012 V-Strom 650

RedEX screwed with this post 09-11-2011 at 02:11 AM
RedEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:32 AM   #24
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by See red View Post

my wifes idea of luggage...LMAO

Your man card back please.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #25
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEX View Post
The current state of affairs, although I hesitate to call a Ninja 500 a real "sport bike".
That is excellent! Good work on the racks, it is too bad that the aftermarket ignored the EX500 and GS500, at least in North America.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #26
RedEX
NeverSatisfied

Thanks Grainbelt! Yea I agree, there is no mounting system for Givi sidecases available, with the only other option being the (very pricy!) Hepco & Becker set-up, which IMO is kind of ugly anyway. So I made my own. Hey I'm on a budget, why else would I own an EX500 in the first place?

I was at a local dealership recently, ostensibly to look at some kind of big scooter for my girlfriend, and when I heard the sticker price on the Yamaha T-Max I thought, "Hell I could buy two EX500's for that price!"

The topcase is not quite as big (in relation to the bike) as the camera angle portrayed in this photo. Had the Madstad windscreen on for this shot.
Attached Images

Current:
2012 V-Strom 650
Old 09-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #27
TinyBear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Honda CBF600SA

Only wish you guys in the states got the CBF600.

Great little sporty touring machine. Took mine cross canada and back again couple months back and LOVED it. Had a couple 900km days and although tired was ready and happy to be in the saddle the next day. The whole point of the trip was to ride with family in BC so in the 23 days we were on bikes the whole time and could not be happier.

Bike was awesome has factory side bags a Gears HUGE tank bag and a Gears Navigator tail pack(with tent/sleepingbag and fuel gerry can straped too it). The seat is adjustable 1" in hight and has heated grips (came in handy on many mountain passes). And i aint no small guy at 6' 265lbs.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #28
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,758
What? This thing?

Ok, ok!

Probably gonna swap it for a maxi scoot tho, not comfortable enough.

The Honda CBF600 is an excellent bike tho!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #29
Shivanshu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thats a great rear box on the Ninja bro, what about soft side bags or the hard case box.

Also wanted to see some more FZ6 pics with touring capabilities :)
Shivanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #30
RedEX
NeverSatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Also wanted to see some more FZ6 pics with touring capabilities :)
That CBF600 and the FZ6 look like they'd be pretty well-matched. FZ6 would be on my short list for sure.
Current:
2012 V-Strom 650