User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #661
cptnapalm
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I am 38.

I don't believe I had ever even been on a motorcycle until I took the MSF class a few weeks ago.

Why the hell did I do that?

3 years ago, I saw a picture of a Ural Gear Up and then I read Mr. Cob's report. 3 years later, I still love looking at the Ural, reading reports and watching YouTube clips.

I had never wanted a motorcycle before seeing the Ural. The only two wheeler I really like looking at is the Solo ST. So my motorcycle interest is more or less equivalent to my interest in Urals.

It is exceedingly rare for me to drive above 60 MPH in my car, so the speed of the Ural is just dandy.

I'll be putting a good sized down payment in the next couple of months for a 2011 Ural Gear-Up in Gobi Desert camouflage.

38 year old men should normally not be giddy, but I am.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #662
Polopol
n00b

Oddometer: 6
2. BMW R1100GS '97

3. I always wanted to ride a motorcycle but I was put off by the death of two old classmates and friends&family advising against it. However the bug was still there and over the years grew stronger. Last year, I was 30 years old at the time, I made the 'now or never' decision to start riding and bought the GS.

4. BMW R1100GS. It's my first bike and was selected for a number of reason's. As i'm 1m98 (about 6'6") it's the ideal bike in terms of riding position and comfort. Furthermore I am a BMW car fan(drive one but don't hold that against me :-)) so a BMW bike came somewhat natural to me. The 'Enduro' model was choosen as I do plan to take longer 'x-country' trips in the future. Why the 1100 you say? I didn't want to go all-out for my first bike. It's fairly cheap and holds it's value extremely well which is beneficial when I'll trade it for a new one in the future.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #663
HouseOfDexter
Flatlander

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)
Mom wouldn't say that...but I know she thought it...She hated me riding...My little brother ages ago(he was 17 and riding a SECA 400)...was in a M/C accident...luckily he was wearing a helmet(he would be dead today if he wasn't)...He had to have pins put in his arm...So my mom didn't look at m/c favorable...
Quote:
2. What was your first bike?
Ex-500

Quote:

3. How do you feel about starting so late?
Wished I started earlier...maybe when I turned 25 or 30...

Quote:

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
Kawasaki Ninja Ex-500 ->Triumph Thunderbird Sport (885 Triple)

I love riding...I probably wouldn't of started riding if my wife hadn't suggested it. She grew up around M/C...her dad an avid rider (45+ years without an accident) ...She wanted to get rid of my '93 300ZX Convertible...feeling like it was a money pit...and figured enticing me with a M/C would do it...now 2 M/C later and 2011 Mustang...It would of been cheaper to strip the 300 down and rebuild it ...but now there is no way I'm giving up my bikes...Oh yeah started when I was 45...I'm now 48 soon to turn 49 ;)
HouseOfDexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #664
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Started at 61....!

Quote:

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

After 25 years+ sailing and living aboard...decided to try mototouring after selling the boat.

2) started with a 2005 Vespa 150LX, a gift from me to wife. Both passed DMV moto licensing using the Vespa. Took MSF course for motorbikes.

A) purchased a 2006 BMW R1200RT and toured 10,000+ miles two-up with UniGo trailer through the USA and Canada

B) purchased a F650GS for light touring(too small for two-up)

C) got a 2005 1200GS and solo toured the Canadian maritimes; Labrador; Newfoundand, etc..

D) Hacked the 1200GS and toured Alaska and Newfoundland; still have it to this day.(see Avatar)

3) No problem and loved it

4) see A,B,C...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #665
Maskedman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Riding my own finally

I had a cousin that was lifelong disabled when he was 14, two years older than myself. So when I was a kid every time I said something about a motorcycle my dad would say something about Harvey. So I rode all of my friends bikes from mini bikes to however big they had. Well to make a long story short at 50 I bought a Vespa 300 Super and now I have a Kawasaki Versys. I have fun but truth be told I think I am much safer now. I always wear all the gear and I have nothing to prove other than having a good time. I don't want to be 80 years old and still wishing i had a motorcycle.

Masked Man out.
Maskedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #666
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
1. WTF were you thinking?

The wording was tamer, but that is generally how most of my family reacted and still do.

Motorcycles are so... dangerous!

Yeah. And so is lying in bed with the shades drawn and collecting bed sores.

For my part, I was 39 at the time and thinking that after several frustrated attempts to get started over the years that I finally had the time (sort of) and the money (barely) and my wife's moral support to quit daydreaming about it and to make it a reality.

A 1995 Honda Magna, which I still have. It was not my dream bike then. I vascillated between a Triumph Speed Four and a Triumph Bonneville America. Was finally persuaded by my best friend not to buy a new bike ("Nothing as demoralizing as making payments on a bike which you can't afford to repair and ride again") and more or less stumbled into buying the Magna, which I did not expect to keep around for very long once I got comfortable with the basics of riding.

Mixed feelings. On the one hand, I didn't grow up in an indulgent family with parents who lavished expensive toys that encouraged more doctors' bills. For that matter, I was not even allowed to get a job so I could have bought one myself until I got out of high school. After getting out of college, I began to appreciate my parents' refusal to spend money on things like that: I had my own fiscal priorities and for many years there was no extra money in the budget to even entertain getting a bike.

On the other hand, by starting later in life, I had at least a better appreciation for the risks, in particular the significance of the exponential term in the equation for kinetic energy KE = 1/2*m*v^2

Still have the Magna but stepped up to an '02 VFR about 9 months ago, thanks to my very indulgent wife .

The irony is that all my friends and acquaintances whom I used to envy for being able to ride motorcycles while I couldn't are now the ones sitting on the sidelines and wishing they could ride while I do. Each of them for various reasons had to sell his bike and is not likely to be buying another any time soon. It really is better late than never.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #667
bbagwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
1. WTF where you thinking?

My parents are not really fans of Motorcycles. My Mom was not happy, Dad understands I am old enough to do whatever I want. I don't think Mom's are ever very happy when we do things like buy motorcycles though. I explained to her all the safety gear, the Team Oregon Class and that I am starting on a small bike, not some 100+ MPH race bike.

I started riding at age 31. Two of my closest friends both have dual sport bikes. I grew up riding mountain bikes and I rode a few quads and three wheelers over the years. I think what really hooked me was riding around on my buddies Yamaha TW200. I had a blast just riding around his parents yard and parking lots. I am not the fastest rider, or the best rider but I am having a blast doing it! My girlfriend is 44 (I know older woman ) and she wants to get her own bike and start riding too!

1995 Yamaha TW 200. I feel it is a great bike to learn to ride on, and a blast to ride. I may get a bigger bike someday but I don't think I will ever part with the TW for a fun trail bike.

I am hoping that being a little older and more mature then I was when I was younger will help keep me out of trouble. I took the Team Oregon Motorcycle Training course and my buddies have helped me out too. My off road training consisted of a day riding in nasty slick mud in December in Oregon. Then the slickrock in Moab, UT! I might have been a little nuts riding in Moab but I had patient friends, and rode on what I was comfortable with. I have dropped it a couple times off road, but I know that is part of the game! I just try and ride within my abilities and keep learning.

4. What bikes have you progressed to/through?

Well I have only had the TW200 for 6 months so I haven't progressed to anything yet. I will probably get a bigger bike someday, but I am having a blast with the little TW!
bbagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #668
ak bike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
30 plus

Got my MCL at 71 , it's now 9 years later, so far so good.
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #669
The Blue Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
The answers:

1. "That looks like fun, and when I read forums/talk to riders about riding, the people who ride motorcycles all seem to talk about riding like it's some kind of amazing religious experience. I want to know what it's all about." I had never even so much as looked twice at a motorcycle until a then-internet acquaintance showed up at a meet/party we were having on a Suzuki M50. That was the first time I had seen somebody use a motorcycle for regular about-town transportation. Until then, all I knew about bikes was:

- The "Ninja" was considered to be pretty awesome back when I was a kid.
- One of my roommates in art school had nearly killed himself on a bike and swore off of riding.
- They came in two varieties, "plastic" and "Harley".

Seeing this guy show up for BBQ and beer on a non-Harley, non-plastic bike planted a seed of curiosity. So, they can be used for just... Getting around! Now, I wondered, what was the actual appeal of these things? Is there something about motorcycling that's better than being in a car? A couple of weeks later I borrowed this same guy's copy of The Long Way Round and The Long Way Down. Say what you want about Ewan and Charlie, they went out and toured the world on motorcycles. I didn't even know that was possible. After that, the only thing stopping me was money. I did a lot of reading in the two years or so between when I first got the itch, and when I was finally in a financial position to buy some gear and take the MSF. I happily ignored the advice or negative reactions of pretty much everybody who had never thrown a leg over a bike (I grew up with firearms in the Northeastern U.S., so I am well acquainted with the human tendency to make wild, nonsensical assumptions about groups or activities based on zero evidence). My own mother didn't speak to me for two months after she found out I had gotten my endorsement and bought a bike. Last I checked, I still don't give a rat sass what They think.

2. My first bike is a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R in Candy Thunder Blue, with a list of mods and tweaks that's as long as my arm at this point.

3. Define "late". I'm still alive, aren't I? It's too late when you're dead, everything else is (mostly) just opinion. FWIW I've been "late" for almost everything in my life. I got my college degree a full six years after my peers. I didn't know what the hell I wanted to do with my life until I was in my late 20's. Everybody I know from back home has married, bought a house, and popped out three kids already... That's not for me. I didn't have a decent job that could even pay for a bike until a little over a year ago. I'm probably an average of five years behind society's accepted milestone dates for just about everything, but so what?

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded getting out there on two wheels to practice physical riding skills back before the mid-20s metabolic slowdown, but back then I was too stupid to do much of anything well, so... Better now than never. I might not be able to drink as much as I used to, but I'm also much more aware of my strengths and weaknesses than I ever was when I was younger.

4. No progress in bikes, the Ninjette is my first. I've only ridden two bikes, this one and the Eliminator 125 in the BRC a little over a year ago. Actually the more I ride it, the less I feel like I want anything else... After un-corking the engine at both ends and adding saddlebags and a tail box, I really don't feel like I need anything more than exactly what I've got. Now do I WANT other bikes? Oh yes, of course, but who doesn't?

The Blue Rider screwed with this post 05-15-2011 at 01:37 AM
The Blue Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #670
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
1) "WTF were you thinking?" Originally it was fuel economy. Then after I realized how much it all cost it was hey, that looks like fun! This was followed by Charley and Ewan. Then I took the BRC on an Eliminator 125 and realized I really like cruisers

2) Now I've got a V-Star 650 Classic in need of a few minor repairs as my first bike

3) I wish I could've started earlier, but looking back it just wouldn't have worked for many reasons. I'm just glad I started

4) Still on the first one - just rode it home this weekend
Old 05-16-2011, 02:49 AM   #671
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak bike View Post
Got my MCL at 71 , it's now 9 years later, so far so good.

Here's to four score more years of happy riding for you!

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #672
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:

Blah blah, too long, CSB:

My grandfather died when I was 32. We were close, and even though it was a long time coming and I told everyone I was ok with it, I wasn't. I was angry. Despite several other things going good and bad with my life at the time, I felt somewhat stagnated and generally pissed off, so gave life the metaphorical finger and changed something I'd wanted to change since I was 12.

I took a MSF course, got my endorsement, and bought a 500r for too much money on a credit card (paid it off five months later).

Given the timing, my mother didn't really hassle me at all (sort of a "are you sure you want to do this" sort of thing), and after the first week, never again.

I rode mostly short trips, took it to campus (bike parking is attainable for a grad student, car parking isn't), and stuck to the car when it rained.

Then, because the universe is random if not malicious, while at the outer banks for a marathon (not mine, I don't run unless I've missed the bus) hurricane Ida reduced our 2 car 1 bike household to 1 car 1 bike. Oddly, it didn't really stress me out that much - I guess getting a little over 2k from the insurance company for a 17 year old honda helps. Still, finding a 17 year old car that is reliable costs more than 2k, so I gave the woman my car, effectively, and converted some of the payout to cold/foul weather gear.

A year and a half (and a trade to a wee strom) later, things are changed all right, and I like it.

I don't really feel like I started too late or anything - I read many years ago while doing my undergraduate work in psychology that for most skills people hit expert-level in about 10 years, so 10 years on the road at 42 probably won't be too different than 20 years at 42, at least in terms of riding skills and "road judgement", though I could see it taking more than 10 years if I wasn't commuting. My reflexes are generally pretty good, I can see, and I have the benefit of not being a 16 or a 21 year old on a bike.

Really, the only regret I have is that riding has opened an entire new world of ways to spend money.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #673
Quasi1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Started when I was 16 and rode until I was about 22. Barring a couple of spins round the works carpark on a borrowed bike, I didnt start serious riding again until I was 48. All I said to the wife was "I think I might buy another bike". All she said was "Fine, if you want". If only everything in life was that easy.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #674
Corbets
Gravity Slave

Oddometer: 33
I started riding a month before my 31st birthday. That was a year ago.

A brand new BMW F800R. Advantage to starting late is that costs are much less of an issue than for people who start at 16 - no used pieces of crap here. ;)

GREAT. Wish I'd have started earlier though (statement above notwithstanding).

No time yet, though a K1300R and a Multistrada are both calling my name for different reasons... maybe next year...
Corbets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #675
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
1. I started taking lessons just before my 40th birthday - in secret because I knew very well what my wife and everyone else I knew would say. I remember exactly the first moment when this seemed like a good idea. I'd never given motorcycles a second thought, even though I'd been heavily involved in racing sportscars. Then one day I was stopped at a light in Munich and two young leather clad women pulled up next to me on an old black single cyclinder BMW (R25, I think). As they pulled away, I thought, "Damn, that sure looks like something I've been missing. The training program to get a license in Germany is very rigorous and I spent every other morning before work for the next three months in lessons.

2. My first bike was a 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura, which was a very big bike compared with the 600cc commuter I'd trained on. But it looked nice, had reasonably good components, lots of torque, and served me well over a lot of journeys between Munich and London over the next few years. The bottom end of the engine seized up just after the warranty expired and, like a fool, I replaced the engine rather than cutting my losses. I held on to it until late 2007, but had fallen out of love with it.

3. Part of me does wish I had started earlier - when I had a less acute sense of my own mortality. But I also recognize that I was a different person then and probably would have been a hazard to myself and others.

4.a) Still under the spell of the women at the traffic light, I bought a 1954 BMW R68 shortly after getting my license. That bike looked the part, but was such a beast to ride and I never really spent much time on it. Sold that on to a collector a couple of years ago.

b) Winter weather being what it is in Britain, I found myself flying to southern Europe for a lot of short weekend and a few full holiday tours. I rode a BMW R1150GS around Spain, a classic Norton in Provence, a horrible Harley from DC to NYC and along the Blue Ridge Parkway, and, alternately, a BMW R1200GS and F650GS all over Morocco.

c) One day when the Guzzi was behaving especially badly, I test rode a 2007 1098S, could not believe what a different experience that was.and bought it on the spot.

d) Although I love the Ducati, and have taken it on several longer trips, I also recognize its limitations. And my own. I don't really like to ride on the road in Britain, am not cut out mentally for the racetrack, and so have begun to dabble more in the sort of offroad riding I was first exposed to in Morocco. That's got me thinking about the KTM 690 Enduro, but I'm also thinking that for the amount of time I realistically have to ride and the distances I'd need to travel to the places that really interest me, renting may be a better option.

-Stuart
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote