Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #16
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ View Post
I told y'all we were confused. One thing I'm sure about, the Husky, for me, was the correct decision for the kind of riding we did.

I'll get back to the RR a little later today. We have been in this truck for the past 22 hours. We are about 2 hours from home and I'm ready to lay down next to someone prettier than Supahflid.
Peaches?!? :/
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:36 AM   #17
2wheeldreb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Ya'll do go on these trips for the motorcycle riding, right?
Old 09-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #18
DavidQ OP
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,959
Sunday, September 4th

Weave spent last night planning what appeared to be an incredible and challenging route.
We left Ouray heading south on 550 to pick up our route.

We made it to our first turnoff and after about 2 miles of fun, the road ended at a gate. (I don't know why but I didn't get any pictures of this section) We studied the maps for a few minutes and didn't see a feasible way around it.

[Allow me to explain that. Our group (and by "our group" I mean a couple of the guys ) prefers to sleep in. Therefore we (and by "we" I mean me ) feel like we are running late every morning, and the first couple of hours "we" are trying to make up for lost time.]

So Weave and I decided to head for Ophir Pass. Ophir would serve as a scenic connecting road to our main route for the day.

In Ophir, Evil found a new friend.

Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
quasi_inrem
And then suddenly....

Oddometer: 408
Thumb Great Shots

Great shots, guys! And congrats to Eatalotapeaches! I took my 1150GS up there this summer. Didn't do as well as you all. Couldn't get myself up some of the passes, mainly cuz I had all my gear with me and the gearing on the 1150 was not the best for that terrain. AND, I am sure there was a bit of operator error as well. Broke my heart! I'm in!!
quasi_inrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #20
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi_inrem View Post
Great shots, guys! And congrats to Eatalotapeaches! I took my 1150GS up there this summer. Didn't do as well as you all. Couldn't get myself up some of the passes, mainly cuz I had all my gear with me and the gearing on the 1150 was not the best for that terrain. AND, I am sure there was a bit of operator error as well. Broke my heart! I'm in!!
Don't feel bad. This was one of the hardest days I've ever had on a loaded 1150gsa. I was coming from Telluride over to Ouary and don't think I could have made it coming the other way. Some of this shit is kinda hard going up Going down was the easy part

Some fun riding for us flat landers, thanks for sharing guys
Most excellent way to avoid the heat too.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Very good pics!
Still can't figure out how the Multi's(cyclinders) made those rides and lived to see another trip. To me, the KLR is almost too large for the roads and not to mention the single track! I've always avoided Black Bear (once on KLR with a nearly broken ankle from one of the other challenging passes, and again on the WR450F after some others decided not to try it). The WR was in it's element in those mountains and I won't consider another ride there on anything but a mid size thumper.
Good job!!

G2

R1200RT
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #22
DavidQ OP
We Don't Rent Pigs

We then made our way to Wilson Mesa trail.

Understand, none of us are very experienced single track riders. We also live in MS and LA where you can see over the biggest hill if you stand on your tiptoes. Our only encounters with this type of terrain and elevation change is a couple times a year when we go to the Smokey's the Ozark's or last year when we came to CO.

Also, we have a GSA in our group. Peaches (he's 5'10", 170 lbs) rides it like a dirt bike. I'm not sure if he is crazy, stupid, or confident. All I know is he will take it wherever you lead him.
Supah is on a brand spankin' new KTM. He has about 3 hours of dirt experience on this bike and not a scratch on it, prior to the trip.

On with the story...

The road leading up to Wilson Mesa trail is FUN! Any other day I would have been content riding this road to the trailhead then turning around and riding it back down.

At the trail head

The trail started off wide and fast

Then quickly became more narrow and steep.

Then the tight, off-camber switchbacks started

This is Weave

Weave had a crash at the beginning of the summer and damaged his wrist. He wasn't able to ride much this summer due to the pain. He showed up for this trip, still wearing a brace, and without very much strength in his right hand. (I soon learned he's a tough SOB and I better bring my "A" game if I want to hang with him.)

Anyway, Weave took a bad bounce on a rock and crashed HARD.

I saw it happen and I thought he had to be hurt. By the time I could get to him, he was laughing and getting up off the ground.

The trail continued to challenge us

Then opened up into this incredible valley

Then to a creek crossing

This doesn't look good.

Then we started ascending from the valley on a nice little rocky climb

Ummm, that's not the line!

This is

and this is

Here comes Evil (RUN!!!!!!!!!!!)

Here's Paddle. I didn't get a lot of pictures of him today. He can be sneaky smooth. Just when you think you've gotten him in a bad spot, he rides through it like it's another day at the office.

Just before this picture, Peaches was almost attacked by a huge black bear!

I was following behind him, enjoying the ride, when out of the corner of my eye I see this huge freaking black bear charging through the trees, directly for him. I started screaming GO! GO! GO! but he couldn't hear me! My stomach knotted up preparing for what was about to happen. Then all of a sudden I see what looked like a bear through the trees was actually a black cow . Everyone seemed to get a pretty good laugh at my expense. That's OK though, it made for a funny moment.

After that, we made our way to the end of the trail.

Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012

DavidQ screwed with this post 09-11-2011 at 04:30 PM
Old 09-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #23
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
oops, the KLR didn't like this hill.

The KLR's RIDER didn't like it either, but that is what happens when you blindly follow someone when you don't know they are scouting a possible trail and not leading the "way out"....
Old 09-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #24
DavidQ OP
We Don't Rent Pigs

After the single track we went back to Telluride to stock up on water and snacks.

In Telluride we ran into the Oklahoma guys (sorry, I'm horrible with remembering names). They were riding from somewhere in NM to Moab. There ride report can be found here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722009

They seemed like a good group of guys. We would see them again a few days later on the White Rim Trail in Moab.

After relaxing for a while, we realized we were exhausted and ready to head back to Ouray. We abandoned the rest of our scheduled route and opted to take Last Dollar Rd back north.

People love to carve stuff in Aspen trees.

Last Dollar Rd was fast and fun. A great way to end the day!

Up tomorrow, Black Bear and Imogene Passes
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #25
weave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Before we hit the good road going to the single track we had to ride the boring road around the San Miquel River
Old 09-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #26
weave
Studly Adventurer

The MS boys are freaking nuts, at some point everyday I would wonder if we were going to make it out for cocktails or be pushing the little help button on the spot.
Supa and the KTM leaving their mark

Supa spanking it

photo courtesy Mark
Old 09-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #27
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Okay, so since this was a real "first" for me to attempt a trip like this, I tried to prepare. EvilBollWeevil and I built a chock system for my truck, picked up altitude sickness medicine and more... I still wasn't prepared for the level of awesome!!!

By the way, it is a long and boring drive from Jackson, MS to Ouray, Co... We left my house around 4:30pm and tried to make good time...

Crossing the MS:

Here I am, on the road again...

The only thing we can find to entertain ourselves is to play with the camera... EBW isn't feeling 100%, so I am driving... the whole way...

You know you are in LA when...

Passed a little wildfire...

Got to watch these sneaky guys...

Are we there yet?!?

backwoodsKLR screwed with this post 09-11-2011 at 12:09 PM
Old 09-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #28
weave
Studly Adventurer

Beautiful Single track

view of Lizzard Head
Old 09-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #29
weave
Studly Adventurer

This looke like a good place for supa to get a flat, and Marks brand new super light battery to go dead

Later on Black Bear Mark decided that a dead battery wasnt a big enough challenge.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #30
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
Quote:
We then made our way to Wilson Mesa trail.

Understand, none of us are very experienced single track riders. We also live in MS and LA where you can see over the biggest hill if you stand on your tiptoes. Our only encounters with this type of terrain and elevation change is a couple times a year when we go to the Smokey's the Ozark's or last year when we came to CO.

Also, we have a GSA in our group. Peaches (he's 5'10", 170 lbs) rides it like a dirt bike. I'm not sure if he is crazy, stupid, or confident. All I know is he will take it wherever you lead him.
Supah is on a brand spankin' new KTM. He has about 3 hours of dirt experience on this bike and not a scratch on it, prior to the trip.
You guys fucking rock!!!
VAC
gastone is online now   Reply With Quote