Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #46
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 937
This might be just folklore, but I once heard that Yamaha actually dispatched a squadron of technicians from Japan to the U.S. just to go around the country and repair TX 750 models. If that story isn't true...it oughtta be!
Motoduc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #47
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,309
I worked in a Yamaha shop in 1973.

When new, the TX750 was a very nice motorcycle. We had a demonstrator, and I rode it alot. Smooth and torquey, with a very nice seat. I thought it was nice looking, too.

The 1973's did have a defect. The crankcase was porus in the area of the timing cavity, so oil would seep in & destroy the points. Yamaha had a recall on these, and were SWAPPING CASES on every one they could get back.

With this recall, their reputation was ruined. Yamaha had a tough time selling the 1974 TX750s, even though the defect was fixed.

I also heard that they would froth the oil in extended high-speed runs, and blow up. I've never seen one do this, but my sample was quite small.

Tom in Salem
Old 03-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #48
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,390
TX750 forum or page

besides tobyfolwick? I'm really looking for the original handlebar bend.. or a description of such.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #49
concours
WFO for 41 years

Here it is as dragged home:

And then after being made roadworthy.. paint to come next winter

Old 06-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #50
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
looks nice beside the goofy looking handlebars....
s10rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #51
ken_the_carp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I also worked at a Yamaha dealer when the TX750 was introduced, it was Yamaha's flagship, glorious in it's original metallic gold. The one sitting in our showroom came with a large box of engine parts to be installed before being sold.

The omi-phase harmonic balancer had no provision for balancer chain adjustment, a kit was provided with an eccentric shaft and locking system.
After about 3000 miles the weights started wearing the sides of the cases and we tried to remedy this by added 4 small radial bearing.

The main oil gallery was behind the points, oil constantly leaked into the points compartment, we changed the seals several times. Yamaha sent us a new style labyrinth seal, didn't stop the oil, eventually they suggested that we drill a small hole in the case to prevent accumulation fouling the points.

The engine had double cases (cosmetic covers to hide the functional engine cases). An exhaust crossover was part of the cylinder head needlessly the engine ran very hot, the oil temp was at the upper limits of normal motor oil (not sure I think about 270 deg.F). Yamaha added a sump extension. Oil capacity was close to 5 quarts.

There were some strange electrical issues, a contact was imbedded in the rear brake shoes to light a brake wear indicator on the dash. There was talk of this current "bleeding" back into the electrical system and engaging the starter, this could happen at any time/speed. I did see a TX750 with the crankshaft protruding out of the front of the engine.

Sorry, I'm not trying to put the bike down, just an old fart who thought they were pretty cool just brought to market too soon.

I remember holding one WOT going down a grade, the speedo was reading 128mph.

Ken

ken_the_carp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #52
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_the_carp
I also worked at a Yamaha dealer when the TX750 was introduced, it was Yamaha's flagship, glorious in it's original metallic gold. The one sitting in our showroom came with a large box of engine parts to be installed before being sold.

The omi-phase harmonic balancer had no provision for balancer chain adjustment, a kit was provided with an eccentric shaft and locking system.
After about 3000 miles the weights started wearing the sides of the cases and we tried to remedy this by added 4 small radial bearing.

The main oil gallery was behind the points, oil constantly leaked into the points compartment, we changed the seals several times. Yamaha sent us a new style labyrinth seal, didn't stop the oil, eventually they suggested that we drill a small hole in the case to prevent accumulation fouling the points.

The engine had double cases (cosmetic covers to hide the functional engine cases). An exhaust crossover was part of the cylinder head needlessly the engine ran very hot, the oil temp was at the upper limits of normal motor oil (not sure I think about 270 deg.F). Yamaha added a sump extension. Oil capacity was close to 5 quarts.

There were some strange electrical issues, a contact was imbedded in the rear brake shoes to light a brake wear indicator on the dash. There was talk of this current "bleeding" back into the electrical system and engaging the starter, this could happen at any time/speed. I did see a TX750 with the crankshaft protruding out of the front of the engine.

Sorry, I'm not trying to put the bike down, just an old fart who thought they were pretty cool just brought to market too soon.

I remember holding one WOT going down a grade, the speedo was reading 128mph.

Ken

lol, and this 16YO stunt pilot held that bastid WFO on I-495 for miles as well.. I remember 120 indicated.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #53
Richy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
I bought one new, Yamaha left me hanging. I've had a lot of new bikes since then, no Yamahas.

I really like that bike too, it ran and rode well.
Richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #54
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Here it is as dragged home:

And then after being made roadworthy.. paint to come next winter

And as she stands today...
Old 09-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #55
zoo mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Great work! Though I'm scared to get involved with one of those, I sure like the way they look and would love to take one for a ride.
zoo mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #56
NHNRS
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I think I saw your bike today in North Brookfield. If that was it, very nice work!
NHNRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #57
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHNRS View Post
I think I saw your bike today in North Brookfield. If that was it, very nice work!
Thanks, It was there. First outing. Rescued at the Bettencourt auction. Didn't see another one, LOL
Old 09-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #58
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,321
Very nice indeed. I loved the way Yamaha painte dthe bikes in the 70s. I worked for a local dealer when they were new, in the mid 1970s until about 1978. I loved the Yamaha XS650 and the TX series and until everyone at the shop ragged on the TX750, I thought I wanted one. But I had a Daytona RD400F and since it was faster, and so sexy looking, I never got a TX750.....Beautiful work and hope it lasts forever. I hear riden as they should be they can be quite reliable.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #59
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHNRS View Post
a few pics from www.rice-o-rama.com
here:
http://s1040.photobucket.com/albums/...O-Rama%202011/
Old 09-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #60
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Very nice indeed. I loved the way Yamaha painte dthe bikes in the 70s. I worked for a local dealer when they were new, in the mid 1970s until about 1978. I loved the Yamaha XS650 and the TX series and until everyone at the shop ragged on the TX750, I thought I wanted one. But I had a Daytona RD400F and since it was faster, and so sexy looking, I never got a TX750.....Beautiful work and hope it lasts forever. I hear riden as they should be they can be quite reliable.
We rode the slab for 60 miles in the morning because we were in a hurry... 75-80mph, no worries, sounded, felt great. I had dropped two teeth on the rear sprocket and up one on the front for longer legs. The Amsoil 20-50 makes the clutch a bit grabby, but the engine protection, it's a minor inconvenience.