Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #3601
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
With some painting and the addition of some storage cabinets and some FOC carpet tiles, I have been able to change my garage from this .........

to this .................

(Not sure how that TVR managed to change in to so many bikes!!!)

Nice! Liking the Dr. Big too!

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #3602
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Thanks fellas

The Ferrari is a TVR

The car got sold and then the bikes started to arrive one by one............(damn you E-Bay!!)

The trailer is a Moto-lug web-site

Here it is last month

I have done over 5000 miles through France, Spain and Portugal with it and it has been 100%, I would buy another anytime.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #3603
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneZero View Post
I need more motorcycle stuff!!!

You also need a deadbolt lock keyed on both sides on that door back there.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #3604
OneZero
TGT of Opportunity

Oddometer: 285
I noticed the locks the first day I walked into the house. You've gotta love military housing...I am strictly forbidden from placing deadbolts on my doors. It would apparently alter the house too much. I will say that West Point is the safest place that I have lived in the military in terms of theft, burglary, etc., but it's still annoying that I can't install a deadbolt!!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #3605
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneZero View Post
I noticed the locks the first day I walked into the house. You've gotta love military housing...I am strictly forbidden from placing deadbolts on my doors. It would apparently alter the house too much. I will say that West Point is the safest place that I have lived in the military in terms of theft, burglary, etc., but it's still annoying that I can't install a deadbolt!!

Didn't know you were on a base. You live in the safest neighborhood in town, never mind about the deadbolts.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
Old 09-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #3606
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post

Here it is last month

I have done over 5000 miles through France, Spain and Portugal with it and it has been 100%, I would buy another anytime.
Looks like you have a spare tire! Smart.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #3607
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50X50 View Post

Can anyone comment on their experience with this flooring? I'm thinking about installing it in my new 12x24 garage. Instead of black and orange, I was thing Bavarian blue and white.

I saw a video on how to install it but I was wondering more about how spills clean up. How would it fair with a lift and a 900 lbs LT on top of it?

RonkoRider screwed with this post 09-11-2011 at 07:30 AM
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #3608
Smoke Show
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
Can anyone comment on their experience with this flooring? I'm thinking about installing it in my new 12x24 garage. Instead of black and orange, I was thing Bavarian blue and white.

I saw a video on how to install it but I was wondering more about how spills clean up. How would it fair with a lift and a 900 lbs LT on top of it?

I can't comment on the weight but as far as clean up goes in works wonders for me! I took extra time to ensure tight joints and clean for me is a breeze with a power washer.
Smoke Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #3609
mellowdave
Красное октябрь

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post

If its race deck its indestructible basically. It would easily support your project.

I thought about it but I use my garage for more than a workshop so I went with something softer under foot, but my neighbor has it, almost as you describe, in blue and white, he is a Beemer fan too. It looks great and its super strong. He paid about 2.10 a Sq Ft, but that was a couple of years ago.

2000 Ducati 996::Several XRs
mellowdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #3610
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221

While not the caliber of most of the masterpieces of this thread, I'm pretty proud of my first building.

My house and property are a mess right now. I bought it from my parents somewhat "as is" with some unwritten rules about how long they are going to store their crap here and how much crap they're going to leave behind. There is a two and a half car garage, a large workshop at the back corner of the property, and large loft room above the garage, but the workshop is under construction and has no front wall and I've managed to fill all the covered space with my parents crap out of the garage, making just enough room in the garage for my Jeep and my tools, lawnmower, etc. and my brothers car which he left in the side yard when he joined the military. The room above the garage that would be perfect for my bike workshop, its still full of my parents crap too, including a pool table.

I tried to avoid another building on the property but I just found myself with no room to work. There could be a television show about my Dad and the stuff he collects, but thats another thread.

So construction commenced. Knowing only what I learned from watchind my Dad half build, then tear down and build differently the garage and back storage shed for the past thirty five years, I bought 45 econo studs and a box of nails and built a stack of walls

After two days of clearing the area of a temporary shelter covering a large amount of scrap wood, and also hiding another large pile of scrap wood, which covered a huge compost bin full of scrap wood, newspaper, insulation, carpet, cardboard, carefully interwoven with dirt, scrap metal, and stuff I don't recognize, housing ants, spiders, snakes, baby rats, millipedes, earthworms, hornworms, beetles, and a multitude of other things I don't recognize, I found a foundation wall in just the right place for one wall.

That was nice, one level foundation wall to square up everything else too. I don't know why there was a foundation wall there, there was never a building there. Actually I found concrete forms built off one end, it looks there was a plan to double the size of the workshop at one time.

With the site mostly prepared, my walls went up. In clearing the area, I found a nice set of double doors that open outwards perfect for the project. I'm sure my Dad will want the doors once he sees I'm using them, they'll suddenly be the most important item in the whole collection. Too damn bad.

The roof beams were cut from used lumber in the yard, with the amount of scrap lumber in the yard I thought this wouldn't be a problem, but theres not nearly enough useable material. Eventually I got enough lumber in the roof. Went back to the lumber store for a dozen sheets of OSB and I got three sides and the roof sheeted.

I managed to convince a retired roofer I know to come over with his gear and nailgun and show me how its done. I thought I had enough shingles in the yard to do it, there was a large pile of shingles nicely stacked right beside where my new building is. Turned out they were used shingles. Crappy back to the building supply store for five bundles of shingles.

Saturday afternoon the roof looked better than the roof on my house and I used up all the rest of my OSB trying to finish so I could take the day off and go riding on Sunday.

Sunday I went for a 600 km ride anyway. Got home just in time to jump in the truck and get to the Home Depot for one more sheet of OSB. Once the front was sheeted I stuck the doors in the hole. At least I tried to. Crap the building is a little bit crooked. I took the diagonal off the front wall because it was in the way of nailing the header together. Too soon. Off with the sheeting on the front wall. I'm sure glad I used screws and not nails. A large ratchet strap to pull it square again and then back on with the OSB sheeting.

Monday after work, picked up a set of new hinges and hung the doors. My first building is now useable

It needs some siding, for the moment I'll cover it with a water resistant membrane of some sort. It needs a floor, but with my Dads hoarding condition theres about 2500 red paving bricks stacked beside the house, those will do for my temporary structure

Its 8' x 8' 6", and 10' 6" at the peak of the roof. Well under the 96 square feet that makes it exempt for a building permit, and since only one wall sits on a foundation, its a temporary structure therefore being exempt from most building codes.

Inside will be a narrow workbench on each side, just wide enough to work on the Honda Z50's and pocket bikes, but narrow to maximize floorspace for my XRL. Two beams will be added on top of the walls as a lift point for hoisting the bike off the ground rather than having to buy a lift. I have an ATV winch I'll use for hoisting duties. I'll just use the battery off my trailer to power it when I need it.

Maybe a little bit of attic storage at the ends. Maybe some underbench storage. Maybe some lighting.

Eight feet isn't a lot, but it will do for now. It will sure beat fighting through a hallway and two doorways to get it into the living room every night. Eventually my bike projects will all live in the 14x16 workshop but thats several moving truck trips and a couple months wages away, for now, welcome to my playhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #3611
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Nice work...it's a bit hard to tell, but all four walls are supported on concrete, correct?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #3612
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Nice work...it's a bit hard to tell, but all four walls are supported on concrete, correct?
Sort of but not really. The far side wall is on an honest foundation wall. The back wall is sitting on a layer of broken concrete pieces that I carefully placed to make a something solid. The near wall is sitting on red building bricks and the front is on a layer of flat concrete landscaping tiles. So yes its supported by concrete in the loosest sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #3613
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowdave View Post
If its race deck its indestructible basically. It would easily support your project.

I thought about it but I use my garage for more than a workshop so I went with something softer under foot, but my neighbor has it, almost as you describe, in blue and white, he is a Beemer fan too. It looks great and its super strong. He paid about 2.10 a Sq Ft, but that was a couple of years ago.
They show a bunch of garages on their website. Racedeck Gallery They used to send a sample piece to you.

See this post 48 page 4

scooteraug02 screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 07:35 PM
scooteraug02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #3614
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,750
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #3615
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,432
Just heard back from Racetrack. Here is their cost estimate for a 12x24 garage:
Floor plan specs:
FLOOR SIZE: 12' x 24' Rectangle
TILE TOTAL: 288
110 - Royal Blue Diamond Tile(s)
110 - White Diamond Tile(s)
68 - Black Diamond Tile(s)

288 x $3.49 = $1005.12 plus shipping and edges

We recommend installing ramp edges at the opening of your garage door. Do you know the width of your door?
I guestimated it at 10- feet and they gave me the pricing for the edging and shipping as an extra.

In total, the bill will come to $1120.02 including shipping.

Hmmmmmmm......................
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote