Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 AM   #91
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
I'd trade my Uly for that RGV250 in a heartbeat.

Damn, wrong continent.
I like the rgv and all (it's road registered and damn it is fun once you get it in the power band) but for a Uly? Damn I wish we were closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
That's what I'd do.

They aren't perfect. The clutch is heavy and the motor below 2,500rpm is a jerky pain around town. But wind it past 2.5k and it becomes earily smooth with an effortless, torque-rich forward urge. The suspension's buttery smooth, adept at swallowing minor surface irregularieties without a trace at the seat and bars. Yet works to maintain the composure of that unflappable Buell chassis when you want to chew through your favourite backroads with haste.

All that and comfortable seating for two, heated grips, electric vest outlets, ample lockable luggage space and terrific fuel economy.

There aren't many bikes out there that'll do all that. And none of them handle like a Buell.

I know, that is why my heart says yes, I sold the Buell in a fit because it shook it's muffler loose and the fan gave up on the same weekend (after 70000kms). Any other bike I would never have given a second thought to as once it's in the rear view you can't go back, but the Buell was something different.

I loved the way that it shook, I loved the tractor like torque, the handling. All the guys I ride with say I am slower on the R1 (in twisties) the Buell gave you confidence with the suspension and handling. The R1 is great but it is too harsh and too likely to throw you off.

My old one is on the local classifieds for too much though. I sold it cheap (as I said i went into a irrational fit, I think it was like a lover letting me down, "you are dead to me.... get out of my sight", see this bike is totally irrational) I can't give him that much profit. There's only one other for sale in the state. Well maybe it is a good excuse for a road trip

Need to sell the R1 to free up cash. I'll make the choice then, at the moment I am dreaming Buell.

Vertical C screwed with this post 09-14-2011 at 04:39 AM
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #92
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Another reminder to never buy a used bike from Pluric, because when he says used, he means "USED".

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #93
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
Another reminder to never buy a used bike from Pluric, because when he says used, he means "USED".
Hmmm, I don't remember having one of mine "Grenade" under me.

Wasn't that the purpose of this thread? You being able to find a bike that can take your abuse?

Smartass.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #94
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
I loved the way that it shook, I loved the tractor like torque, the handling. All the guys I ride with say I am slower on the R1 (in twisties) the Buell gave you confidence with the suspension and handling.
I love my mULY, but I think if I couldn't have it I would look at a multistrada, the new 1200 or an older one... whichever I could afford. I think they're pretty close in handeling and have a lot of character as well.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #95
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Hmmm, I don't remember having one of mine "Grenade" under me.

Wasn't that the purpose of this thread? You being able to find a bike that can take your abuse?

Smartass.
Naw, the purpose of this thread was to draw attention to myself because I lead a lonely depressing life and can only find meaning in an online forum.

Actually, the S10 has a lot of appeal. If I could get used to the three feet of plastic and the weird throttle cables in the front.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #96
ULY-RPG
cool hands adv

Oddometer: 295
So i rode that 80 tiger 1050. Not for me although it's a nice bike.
ULY-RPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #97
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Naw, the purpose of this thread was to draw attention to myself because I lead a lonely depressing life and can only find meaning in an online forum.

Actually, the S10 has a lot of appeal. If I could get used to the three feet of plastic and the weird throttle cables in the front.
If you could get used to that Uly swamp cooler runnning 24/7 I think you can live with the cables.

And to feed your delicate ego because this is really all about YOU....

I believe that is you digging for gold,

Old 09-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #98
cccbarkbuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
I got an 08xt with 3000 miles on it from Hal`s Harley in 09 after the closing of Buell. It was in the rental fleet. The front brake was warped and pulsing but I rode for another 3000 miles knowing I had a 2 year warranty. I ride 2 up a lot and had the rear wheel bearings fail just in time to miss the years Buell gathering due to parts availability. I ended up with the 2010 wheel and new rotor and pads all covered by Harley. What I`ve had since July last year has been a wonderfully fun and sorted out trouble free ride. Just turned the 24000 mile mark touring the Black Hills last week with wifey on board.
I really enjoy this bike!
08 Buell Uly XB12xt
78 BMW R100rs (sold 3/13/11)
04 KTM200exc 09 Kawasaki Versys(daughters)
cccbarkbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #99
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
I love my mULY, but I think if I couldn't have it I would look at a multistrada, the new 1200 or an older one... whichever I could afford. I think they're pretty close in handeling and have a lot of character as well.
I had an 04 Multi, put over 30k miles on it. They are a great bike. Ran flawlessly for me, lots of torque (wheel lofting) and very smooth on the road. Not a great off road bike but doable, light gravel, forestry roads etc.
I am looking for a Uly right now but would not hesitate to get another Multi.
Watch for cracking sub frames on the 03-04 years, mine failed suddenly. I did a fair amount of 2 up with a top case.
here is a link to the thread I started on the frame..mine breaking was not unique
http://www.multistrada.net/forum/vie...ht=frame+break

72 Yamaha 350 street 92 R100GS
07 Versys 08 WR250X
manybike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #100
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
I'm not the only one to have made the switch to the Multi from the Uly. I have not heard of a single person that liked a Uly being unhappy with their switch to a Multi. There are many similarities in the ride and overall feel of the two bikes.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #101
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
I like the old Multi a lot too. I think the one area where the uly is dramatically better is passenger accommodations. Now the wife and I have just quickly sampled both so far, but it felt like she had a ton of room back there on the Uly while it was a bit cramped on the Multi. For 1-up the Multi is great. Still not sure whether I'd be on a Multi or a Uly, but I've already got one desmo in the garage and wanted something different and something pillion-friendly for when the Mrs. doesn't feel like riding her own bike.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #102
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:

OMG it just came to me after seeing this old photo of you lusting over my KLR.
You need a KLR.
How could I have been so blind? I think your riding skills are just about ready for a true beast.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #103
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Stolen from the WTF thread....

You might want to see what these guys moved onto for their next bike.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #104
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
he just overloaded the topcase, but if the recall has been done the carier wont mind that... :-)
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #105
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,752
Quote:
Stolen from the WTF thread....

Taken at the plant the week HD pulled the plug on Buell.

That picture's hard to look at.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote