Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #31
TreeManG23
TreeMan Racing

Oddometer: 902
As several of ya'll know, your route went within 3 or 4 miles from my house. I was asked by a friend of mine yesterday that spotted you going north if I was ridding with the group. I replied with No, but sure wish I was!

2004 KLR650, 1985 KLR250
2001 KX 250 #762 B
SmugMug Discount Coupon d5HbqatMuaR3a
TreeManG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #32
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Subcribed! Looks like a lot of fun.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #33
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,747
In.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #34
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Subcribed! Looks like a lot of fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
In.

Awwwww CRAP!! Looks like I better get to writing then eh?
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #35
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
Awwwww CRAP!! Looks like I better get to writing then eh?

We're waiting...

www.benddualsport.com

Old 09-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #36
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
We're waiting...

I'm a slow typer....

Listen to this in the meantime.

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 09-15-2011 at 04:07 PM
Old 09-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #37
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Day....Ummm...3?

"I know we've only known each other four weeks and three days, but to me it seems like nine weeks and five days. The first day seemed like a week and the second day seemed like five days. And the third day seemed like a week again and the fourth day seemed like eight days. And the fifth day you went to see your mother and that seemed just like a day, and then you came back and later on the sixth day, in the evening, when we saw each other, that started seeming like two days, so in the evening it seemed like two days spilling over into the next day and that started seeming like four days, so at the end of the sixth day on into the seventh day, it seemed like a total of five days. And the sixth day seemed like a week and a half. I have it written down, but I can show it to you tomorrow if you want to see it."

We awoke to a beautiful morning in Cheaha. The smell of souring beer bottles was in the air and girls that were not so nice had moved on down the road.Yup, life was good this day for sure. We actually started relatively early this day. Maybe it was the cool nights sleep. Maybe it was because Vic would be leaving us so we were sobered and inspired as it weighed heavy on our hearts. I think it was because we secretly knew that we were now covered in chiggers that would greet us with a bite and a smile each day for the rest of the trip and beyond..God love you, you little itchy bastards!

Parting ways with Cheaha Sate Park.

First stop of the day..AD MOTHER EFFIN" V solute!!!!

Before I get too far into this let me just say that the riding got better and better as each new day progressed. The riding for days 3 and 4 would come to be my favorite of the trip by far. You will notice a distinct lack of pictures from me for the rest of the trip(hopefully the others post up theirs). I got so into the ride that I kind of forgot to take pics as the trip progressed. Good for me, bad for the readers of this RR.

After our first stop we entered Talladega Natl forest. The riding in this place was somewhat slow paced but breathtaking.

Trying to adhere to our GPS route led to riding some less than open roads. We ventured onto a service road that had not likely seen "service" in years which led to one of the more interesting obstacles of the ride. A slightly sketchy water crossing (for lack of a better term). It was a foot bridge across a small but fairly deep stream. I was mesmerized watching 500lb bikes ride over a wobbly 28 inch wide and warped wooden bridge with no sides that had promises of an unplanned bath and drowned bike should you fail.

The body of water that fed the stream..
In the background you can see the fellas checking out the situation. You had to go down a hill and around a wall on a fairly narrow trail (when loaded with side bags) hook a right then climb over a 10 inch or so lip made of rocks and wood in order to get onto the bridge...

And a couple of pics of sanjoh making it look easy.

Everyone crossed without issue which was a bit of a testament to the rider level on this trip.

More of day 3 to come...

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 09-15-2011 at 05:17 PM
Old 09-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #38
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,680
I was the most under-prepared for this trip, without a doubt. I had a 16t front sprocket for the DRZ, but was too lazy and hesitant to grind on the case saver and make it fit. I told myself I didn't need no stinking luggage rack, I have strapped a bunch of crap on my fender before but never did I go off-road with it loaded. This was unwise, but hey I had never ridden this bike anywhere near that far from the truck before.

I would not opt for a bigger bike than the DRZ after having ridden the Western 1/2 of the loop.

On day three, I think, (and wonder how you keep them straight?) I hit a rock, Dave said it looked like I rolled off throttle and the back tire dug it up out of the road. This tossed the back end up in the air, luckily I was on the pegs and holding on good with my legs. Dave says I rolled a good 15 ft on the front wheel. It came down way off-center, and almost pitched me off, but I held on for dear life. Then the bike swung the other way before it straightened back out. I was trying to ride conservatively, getting hurt would ruin everyone's trip, and I had no ride home.

I don't know how the guys on the bigger bikes did it, the 650R I can see, but the other 650s and the 950. And that crazy FF on the Ninja? That is nuts. And Barney was the one to watch, just silky smooth all the time when I could see him. Mostly he was just gone though.

Here's Barney, I will call him the WillyB of FL.
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #39
MOTO DUDE
Rydin Dirty

Oddometer: 133
IN
MOTO DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #40
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post

Trying to adhere to our GPS route led to riding some less than open roads. We ventured onto a service road that had not likely seen "service" in years which led to one of the more interesting obstacles of the ride. A slightly sketchy water crossing (for lack of a better term). It was a foot bridge across a small but fairly deep stream. I was mesmerized watching 500lb bikes ride over a wobbly 28 inch wide and warped wooden bridge with no sides that had promises of an unplanned bath and drowned bike should you fail.

sanjoh making it look easy.

Everyone crossed without issue which was a bit of a testament to the rider level on this trip.
Probably a good thing I was slabbing it up I-75 to meet YFFs I would have dumped the Green Pig into the Water on that one. not mention I missed the ants and chiggers
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #41
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,701
Nice report guys.

Under construction
Al Tuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #42
TreeManG23
TreeMan Racing

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz View Post
I told myself I didn't need no stinking luggage rack, I have strapped a bunch of crap on my fender before but never did I go off-road with it loaded.
Next time, try hauling your bags length ways. I have had far better luck doing like that

Yes, I know my KLR has a rack but when I have loaded it crosswise I had problems like you show in your picture

2004 KLR650, 1985 KLR250
2001 KX 250 #762 B
SmugMug Discount Coupon d5HbqatMuaR3a

TreeManG23 screwed with this post 09-15-2011 at 09:58 PM
TreeManG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #43
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,549
Day 2

Day 2 Spot Track

DrZ, Barney and I opted to do part of the Horsestomp loop. Turned out to be one of the most interesting parts of the trip!

KD2K and I took off ahead of the group in an effort keep the dust down. Also at a much slower pace than the evening before

Nice Log there Kelly

The dust wasn't so bad until latter in the morning KD2K and I split to keep the dust down. Come over a ridge and behold "mountains". Looked like a nice view for lunch.

KD2K rolling in.

Rest of the Hoodlums rolling in

Lies were told food was eaten

KD2Ks hauler

Shade

Yep we're lost

Barney, Dr Z and I split off to ride the horse stomp. Turns out to be very interesting

The horsestomp loop is a bit dusty so I'm following the Dr closely with Barney following close when we exit the forest to an open spot on a hilltop with a curve bending to the left when all of the sudden white out, the Dr has disappeared, I lean over and wack the throttle with a hope that I remember the curve before the dust cloud all the time thinking there is no way Barney is going to make it.

I stop just down just down the road looking for some sign of life from Barney, about to turn around I mean he wasn't 20' off my rear fender when we hit that talc and it's been a coupla minutes.

Relief, I see a dim light emerge from the cloud.

A short time later we arrive in "town"

In front of the building

Guns, pawn, alcohol all in the same place Nice folks, we ask the fine Constable about how far we are from Cheaha SP. He say's about 60 miles.Seems to be a standard answer for this ride when anyone asks how far

How can you sell a gun without a demo. Heck we got houses to shoot why not.

Gettin towards dark and we are about 60 miles from camp, we cut the horsestomp short and head towards Cheaha.

A short time after we arrive, KD2K rolls up with beer and pizza. Thanks Kel that was awesome
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #44
rider1150gsadv
€ Fl Keys Fishing Guide €

Oddometer: 5,912
Laugh

Sweet!!!!! Mo' Pweeze.....

rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #45
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz View Post

On day three, I think, (and wonder how you keep them straight?) I hit a rock, Dave said it looked like I rolled off throttle and the back tire dug it up out of the road. This tossed the back end up in the air, luckily I was on the pegs and holding on good with my legs. Dave says I rolled a good 15 ft on the front wheel. It came down way off-center, and almost pitched me off, but I held on for dear life. Then the bike swung the other way before it straightened back out. I was trying to ride conservatively, getting hurt would ruin everyone's trip, and I had no ride home.

As odd as it may sound, things would've gone smoother for you if you'd been going faster. You probably would've gotten completely airborne for a second but landed flat, straight and smooth, not the flying W that you actually did. The old adage is, when in doubt, throttle out.

www.benddualsport.com