Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2005, 02:42 AM   #1
johnlt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
276C "Next turn" problem

I have a new 276C and have configured the Map display with one of the available fields as "next turn". Normally I should get the miles to the next turn displayed there when I am navigating a route. All I get is dashes in that field. I"ve looked for something in the set-up but can't seem to find anthing I did wrong. What am I missing?
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:06 AM   #2
MattS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
If it is anything like the GPSIII+, then that field should be "Dist to Turn" (showing mileage) rather than "Next Turn", which I believe shows the direction of the turn.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:33 AM   #3
johnlt OP
Studly Adventurer

Matt, yes it is "Dist to Turn" but in any case it still only shows dashes even when I am navigating a route. There must be a setting I missed to activate the function but I can't find it on any menu. It is the same functiobn as mty SP-III but instead of having it in a data field on the right, I configured it in an overlay on the bottom left of the map.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
Old 07-29-2005, 06:13 AM   #4
astro
seek light

Oddometer: 2,293
what version of the software are you running? have you recently downloaded a newer version? I think the latest version is 3.3
Old 07-29-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
johnlt OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRO
what version of the software are you running? have you recently downloaded a newer version? I think the latest version is 3.3
Yes, I am running the latest 3.3. Possibly I got a bad download
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
Old 07-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
276c

I got a 276C a few months ago and just got back from the MOA rally in Lima. I think the data field you want to display is called something like Distance Next where it counts down the distance to the next turn (I'm not at home, so can't check the GPS itself). You've chosen to set up the map page with the overlay in each of the four corners, while I've selected one large column on the right with four data fields. I don't recall having to do anything other then setting up the page layout and then selecting the desired data elements I want to display from the long list of possibilities. Try selecting another data element to display and see if that works. Perhaps the one you have selected in that particular corner is incompatible with your set-up. You do have it set for automotive mode, and not marine mode? You are, in fact, navigating a route?

marco polo screwed with this post 07-29-2005 at 11:04 AM
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
The field you likely want is "Distance (Next)"; this one always works for me.

Funny thing, there is another option "Next Turn" that is supposed to do essentially the same thing according to the manual (I haven't tried it).

Quote:
Distance (Next): The distance to the next point on the route.
Next Turn: The remaining distance to the next waypoint on the route.
Go figger.
SteveAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:13 PM   #8
yzf1kr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Next turn does exactly what the manual says:

Show the distance to the next waypoint.

Remember this is a marine device. An on the water waypoints are the locations to run your boat.
yzf1kr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:40 PM   #9
johnlt OP
Studly Adventurer

With your help, I finally figured it out. The data field "Nest Turn" is NOT the next turn, at least in automotive mode. Maybe it is the next waypoint but it is definately not the next turn. When I select "Distance (next)" as the data field, it shows the distance to the next turn on any route currently being navigated. I'm happy now. Maybe someday I'll figure out the benefit to "Next Turn" data field but I don't see any use for it yet. Thanks for the input.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
Old 07-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #10
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
I get it...

It looks like:

"Distance (next)" will give you the distance to the next point in the route whether it be a waypoint or a unit generated route point.

"Next Turn" will give you the distance to the next waypoint and not a unit generated route point.
SteveAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:30 PM   #11
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
the new ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzf1kr
Next turn does exactly what the manual says:

Show the distance to the next waypoint.

Remember this is a marine device. An on the water waypoints are the locations to run your boat.
i have not checked into this users particular comolaint.
i just want to remind you that this model completly converts to driving mode.i can't wait to get one to learn inside out.
i spent twenty minutes today teaching the ins. salesman how to get to a town 160 miles from here.
then there was the blind man with a gps72 trying to learn to make a waypoint over the phone.so he brings his wife in for eyes.some people just don't get it.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote