Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #256
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
Congrats Simon, where are you going to go now?!
After port orford, frisco
simonpig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #257
simonpig OP
packin' heat

9/15/11 (Thursday)
Daily mileage: 225 miles
Overall average: 25 mph

Getting out later this morning from the lakeview lodge I noticed my rear tire was leaking air slowly so I filled it back up. Should last me the day.

The riding through was the national forest today was somewhat lackluster compared to the adventurous trails in Nevada. Not complaining, but just sayin'.

photo P1010654.jpg

I did manage to barrel full speed through a barb wire fence. I was going downhill off the mountain road back into the main gravel road and at the last minute noticed it too late. The bike tore through the fence and I ended up going over the bars. Got up and composed myself. There was no damage to the bike.

photo P1010654.jpg

The TAT is defarkling my bike. To date I've lost my zeta heel guard, a rear zeta disk guard and both my handguards. Lost the left one on this spill.

An interesting views along the way

photo P1010654.jpg

The next section of interest was through a valley of dead trees. Getting up to that point required me to reroute several times due to downed trees or purchased land. My policy in Oregon is the path of least resistance. There's a ton of roads here so why not go around.

There was interesting powerline road section that at some points were super rocky. At certain points I would stop to take pictures and literally hear them sizzling above me.

photo P1010654.jpg

In a valley of dead trees, I got stuck on a couple of logs and had to lift the bike over. My rear tire had also gone completely flat at this point so I wasn't getting the grip and clearance needed to hop over them.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

After following some previous tracks I navigated through the section and exit through a gate that led me to the in forest road.

Got out the compressor and inflated the tire and found a small hole which i quickly plugged up. A gentlemen in a small pickup stop to ask if i needed anything as the repair was taking place. I said no but thanked him for stopping.

photo P1010654.jpg

During the last couple of hours leading up to that valley, the sky had become overcast and the temperature had dropped noticeably.

The ride from here to silver lake was chilly. When i arrived there I got gas and ate at the plum creek deli. It was an interesting little establishment ran out of a parked and converted rv with a gas grill out front and a big teepee. There was also a Norwegian and us flag flying out front.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

I ordered a bacon cheeseburger and fries and a big eight grade kid name Patrick prepared it. He said they get slot af advers coming around but I was rare in being a solo rider. That was the second time I heard that. We talked about hay, the big group of British adv riders that stopped by earlier in the season, guns, his want of his own motorcycle, and firefighting.

photo P1010654.jpg

After my delicious burger which helped warm me up, I put on my fleece pullover under my jacket, hopped on with the intention of riding another 60 miles to crescent lake.

photo P1010654.jpg

Unfortunately, I had grossly miscalculated my rate of progress and ran into several reroutes due to purchased land. It was 6:05 when I started and at 6:45 I finally made it to the entrance of the Fremont national forest. After going about a mile into the entrance, I decided to turn around and get on the main highway to crescent. It was freezing out and all I could think of was a nice warm room.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

getting darker

photo P1010654.jpg

darker still

photo P1010654.jpg

even darker

photo P1010654.jpg

dusk

photo P1010654.jpg

After finally arriving at crescent lake, I calculated I had missed about 50 miles of trail. I was bummed as I should've just stayed in silverlake for the evening, but I already made reservations in crescent lake a day earlier. Someone tell me, Did I miss alot of good trail from silverlake to crescent? If it was anything like what I rode earlier today, I don't think I missed much.

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:42 AM
Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #258
simonpig OP
packin' heat

9/16/11 (Friday)

Morning. Crescent Lake Cabins are sweet.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

My plan for today was to visit the umpqua national forest and the hot spring located there.

Rode over to crescent from crescent lake to get gas, and again noticed my rear was low on air. At this point my rear tire is looking rough. There's cracks around the knobs so there could be any number of leaks residing on it. Filled it up more than usual this time.

photo P1010654.jpg

Getting to the spring took me up elevation for a bit and And to a pedestrian bridge leading to springs.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

I met a couple on the brief hike over who were on vacation from Arizona. Cece and Shaun had 2 weeks off and were recommending I check out kentucky falls next to Florence. Shaun was a pretty sociable guy. When we got to the spring he would offer every bather there grabs at their tillamook cheese and crackers which they obtained on the factory tour earlier.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

The soak was amazing. It made the soreness in my left shoulder from yesterday's chilled ride melt away. There was a total of 6 pools there that got cooler the farther down you descended the Rock staircase. The one above mine was taken a older scruffy looking mountain man and another pool housed under a wooden canopy by a young hippie couple. They were all in the buff soaking and getting out to grab the occaisional cracker and cheese. I brought my swim trunks just in case but decided to hang loose, to save from having to dry my swim trunks.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

It was liberating to be soaking in the buff on the side of a mountain surrounded by Trees and cool fresh air with the sound of the river running below. This is the Oregon I had envisioned. It wasn't to be found on the TAT up to this point.

After soaking for 45 minutes and hiking out, I ran into 2 couples who had a flat the night before and decided to camp out. There was another guy, Jimmy was was acting as a fixer, whom I had met earlier getting to the springs. Jimmy at first asked me if I could ride down to a gas station with a Jerry can to get gas since one of the guys truck ran out of gas. The other guys car had a flat tire. I had all the tools needed to plug a tire and inflate it, and so I did. Both of the guys were on military rr from Iraq, so it was the least I could do.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

Jimmy was from Michigan, but his playground was in Venice beach Cali. He is a musician there. Somehow he was able to hitchhike all the way to Oregon and would be hitchhiking a ride back at some point. It seems like he had been camping out there for awhile.

photo P1010654.jpg

One couple, Travis and his girl Alia were both from Oregon and endorsed it over the other many states they traveled to some of which included Montana and Wyoming.

photo P1010654.jpg

After fixing the tire the group thank me and I roll away. It was around 5 pm at this point and I head south to Crater Lake and enjoy the view.

Did I mention that the last couple of days felt the the end of November? It was chilly. I was getting all sore from the chills. Had to bust out the balaclava.

Crater lake is pretty cool. I enter from the north entrance and slowly make my way south going counterclockwise around the big water filled hole hitting the different vistas along the way.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

Click below image for the Crater Lake Expedition Video... The Pig has landed!

After having my fill, I exit through the south at mazama village. There I stop in at annie's restaurant for a dinner buffet before setting out for my cold-as-balls ride to the union creek cottage and rv park.

It's a comfy place to rest my head for the evening.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:48 AM
Old 09-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #259
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
Someone tell me, Did I miss alot of good trail from silverlake to crescent?

Nope, not a thing...you're doing fine.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #260
simonpig OP
packin' heat

9/17

Awoke this morning and started on the last couple of days reports on the iphone. Live reporting really takes consideration and time. Everyday I’ve been trying to write the first thing in the morning and its really taken up the last minute of checkout at 11. Its not different this morning.

After getting all my crap together, I go down to lash it all down. On the way out, I notice a really nice old school hot rod with a ford emblem and exposed engine block. The owner, Bill, approached me and asked me about my trip. He’s maybe in his late 60s or early 70s. He asks about my trip and makes recommendations for road to take while on my way back east. He and his wife Lynda, who is smoking a Marlboro red, seem to be an adventurous couple. He use to ride dirtbikes and was telling me about Death Valley and that I should take the Sonora Pass back. We walk over to his hot rod he built up from parts either meticulously gathered from swap meets or hand built himself. It’s a beautiful machine with a nice low grunt. He remarks that it’s the smallest v8 made. Don’t know much more than that, but I do know something special when I see it. After a thorough going over of the map, we say our goodbyes and they roar off in the V8, after detaching the small trailer from it.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

After heading south for 11 miles to Prospect from Union Creek to get gas, I head back up 35 miles to pick up the trail I left off yesterday (around mile 285). It’s funny, but its easier to run out of gas in Oregon than in any other state. That’s what it seems like anyway. The gas stations are few and far between especially once you get in the national forest.

The trail today took me up through some mountain passes and back down and then back up again. There are some mountain roads that have been closed so I had to reroute the long way around the mountain.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

Visiting the worlds tallest sugar pine

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

Around mile marker 365, I start to realize that I don’t have enough gas to make it to the 426 mile point so I reroute to a bigger road and finish the day in Canyonland. I have been missing a lot of the trail here in Oregon, but for some reason, I don’t really feel like I’m missing anything. Maybe it’s that I’m starting to get lazy, or the TAT is taking its toll on me, but drifting along seems fine to me. For sure, tomorrow will be the last day as I make it to Port Orford and thus, my TAT trip will end, and the trip back begins.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:50 AM
Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #261
patiodadio
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 333
Dang, I gotta make it out to Oregon some time ! Great Ride Report by the way !

Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #262
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
it has been a awesome ride thus far...but i do get it, u feeling the TAT and getting tired.....pull up the socks for one more time breathe the air, because once ur done with this ride.....u will rememeber it for years to come...

there will be times when u will drift off on a mundane day at work, dream about the adventures u had.....

Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #263
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
The old sugar pine just keeps getting bigger, saw it for the first time in probably 1977 or so.

Can't wait for the next installment!!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #264
td301
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Simonpig, you found the first barbed-wire gate I was talking about. It was lurking in the shadows. My skid mark wasn't as long as yours coming down the hill. I stopped just in time and my front wheel was resting against that same gate. I may post a picture if I get a chance.

The second gate, just before Silver Lake, was a different story. I had a similar ending as your picture except I went through it instead of over it. Ouch ouch ouch. I'll see if I can find a close mile marker on my GPS and post back later.
td301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #265
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Simon, I went back thru Lake City the other day on my way south and visited with Venice and (insert husbands name here) They said "Hello" and I got a nice picture of her for you. As soon as I get some good internets I will send it to you. Happy Trails man!
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #266
meijer's trails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
yikes!

The barbwire was a close call!! Thankfully it wasnt worse.
Dude, youve become a trail master! Even fixing flats on cars!
meijer's trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #267
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,413
Why the non stock front fender?
Inquiring minds want to know>

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #268
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,005
Really liked this ride report. If you're in SF Wednesday night I'd like to buy you a beer and hear some stories first hand.

SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #269
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Whats up dudes. Im in SF now and gonna go hit up oreillys to get some oil. I owe you one last ride report but dont have a monitor. Thanks for following this thread. It is really a great experience to reflect everday on things that went on around me, and also to get your realtime advice. Its definitely not as lonely, thats for sure.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #270
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Didnt go with the f headlight and white front body panels as nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Why the non stock front fender?
Inquiring minds want to know>