Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
CAVEboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Gracie's Hack... DR650 sidewalk chalk build

**Edited** to include new upper subframe. I decided to leave pics of the old one for reference. New pictures in post below

I've never built a sidecar before and am going to need some advice and info. I got most of the subframe mocked up and thought I'd start a thread to get some feedback/criticism. The blue tape is where further bracing will be added. The real questions I have are in regards to the strength of my mounting points. I'm confident I can build a nice frame and car, but if my mounts aren't strong enough and in a decent location for geometry it will all be wasted. Please tell me if you think my frame mounts (specifically my uppers) are going to last in the long run and not ruin my bikes frame.

This is Gracie and she is moping while she thinks about the wind in her face and the freedom of the moto...

I use sidewalk chalk for fabrication all the time. This is my idea of the car frame (will likely change/refine). I was originally thinking 2'x4' for the frame, but am worried it may be too narrow. I want narrow for offroad riding, but not too narrow negating the utility. It will also be built from 1.75" .120 wall tubing and will basically be a flatbed that a car body can be bolted to for Gracie. Construction of the frame seems easy to me, I'm just trying to hash out the size before bending the tube. I'm thinking I may keep it 2x4' and just space it away from the bike a little to leave room for my upper control arms without compromising car space.

The swing arm and tire/wheel combo are in process. I was planning on building a custom swing arm and machining and axle and such for a spare DR wheel I have (would be nice to have matching wheels), but am now thinking I may cheap out and be lazy with a trailer hub/wheel combo swing arm. Depending how I like it I may spring for air suspension (many options here) or keep it simple with a moto shock. Chalk drawing hasn't yet accounted for wheel placement and swing arm dimensions.

I am so close to bending up the frame and am having a hard time waiting for feedback so please give me your thoughts and advice. I will try to curb my stubborn attitude to listen to experience.

I would love to see some links to photos of trailer hub swing arms. Maybe even a few custom two-sided swing arm setups. I really don't mind having a swing arm visible from the side of the car.

CAVEboy screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 08:05 PM
CAVEboy is offline   Reply With Quote