User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
So, Here I go again,... Heading South of the Border

I'm Back.......... What a great trip....I mean experience!! Here's a quick overview of my journey; Enjoy

But Please feel free to read on..........................

The Story starts here:

Yea I know, your probably thinking, Crap another going South thread. Well, it is Fall and as the annual migration begins for the feathered Fauna, so does the two wheeled ones go.

I am recently retired and albeit on a finite monetary stream, life is good. Mexico, the great mystery to me, that place I only remember as a young man crossing the bridge into Juarez so many years ago in the 70's while stationed at Fort Bliss, it's unfortunate I don't have much in the way of cognitive memory on how I got back.... Oh but the stories I could tell

So I went on a ride back in 08 to Baja with a group of folks I had never met, awkward apprehension I must say it turned out to be one of the times of my life with folks I still stay in touch with. Later that same year while sitting around a campfire with a few of the folks I had met in Baja, a plan was hatched to go to south, well one thing let to another alas I didn't make it, yet an Epic Adventure blossomed from around that crackling campfire. Erica, whom I've lost touch with and is probably heli-skiing off some northern Canadian Mountain or in yet another "Ironman" competition did a 4 month mostly solo ride of which I highly recommend as winter reading; link : "Runnin' Home - Tierra Del Fuego to Oregon!'

Well Radioman was sitting at the fire too and as we all know his story and epic adventures he too has circumnavigated throughout North America, north of the border. Well the only thing to fear is fear itself. So, am I apprehensive, well yes but only for two reasons.

1) Spanish just does not seem to come easy to me, I've been studying off and on for sometime now and even watch "Telemundo" to see what I can pick up, I'll tell you what I get from it, is Spanish soaps are friggin HOT! if you know what I mean. Anyway when I was stationed in different parts of the world I made every effort to as least become proficient in basic communications so I guess immersion is the best way to go and I am armed with pocket conversation book and can flap my hands and arms with the best of them.

2) Now this is my real pet peeve, the burr under my saddle.... bad police, the ones who just want a easy buck off the gringo's just cause. These are people whom took an oath to up hold the law to serve and protect, no matter what country!!! If I did something wrong then cite me with a ticket and fine, my bad, but just looking for for ice cream money because they have a badge and gun. Ok, enough, I'll just see how I handle it when it happens, so stay tuned.

As an aside: I can remember the Juarez police would fine you for stumbling off a curb or some other trumped up fine which just happened to be how much is in your wallet. That's my memory of Mexico from way back when.

Bikes:

I have a 06 Triumph Tiger and a 07 KTM 990 both are capable and would enjoy either for long saddle days but due to Copper Canyon and the wonderful patch work of highways I seen from other threads I'll elect to take 'Moya the 990.

Now, how to get most this stuff on the table packed. I managed to get 90% packed up, chucked the tent, tossed the cooking gear and my beloved Big Agnes sleeping bag. I did pack a REI travel bag rated to +55 degrees and we know the ratings to be a damned lie so I threw a fleece wrap in for good measure; hammock, and Kelty tarp they pack real small.

I wanted to have something to secure my electronics in you know camera, small laptop, so I pulled my Givi off the tiger and mounted it up. so not to bad looking, huh.

So let's see what it looks like loaded up?

Not quite, but some minor adjustments... that's looking better

Now I need to do something about the tires. At what the 908 costs (big jump this year) I want to save it for more dirt later. I have these sitting in the garage

Got the rear mounted Dear God what a PITA that K60 is one stiff bugger. Looks good though

Think I'll just burn the front off on the way down and slap the new one on in Tucson

OK, so I have a plan... kinda, no real set itinerary other than Copper Canyon.

Highlighted places I think would be interesting from prior reads

So the real trick is can I do this on $40 USD a day? if not my stay may be shorter.

I roll out Thursday Morning to rendezvous with "Radioman" in Tucson on Saturday.

Let it begin.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 12:06 PM
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
alphajory
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
good luck on your trip. i did a similar one a couple of years ago and had a great time. Rode the copper canyon and down through the central parts of mexico. Stayed in hostels for the most parts and the biggest expence was fuel as the 990 can be thirsty at times. I sure your trip will be a very memorable one..

subscribed
Old 09-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,994
Nice start o your RR. Will look forward to our adventures ahead of us.

Dos Cerveza's Por Favor

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajory View Post
good luck on your trip. i did a similar one a couple of years ago and had a great time. Rode the copper canyon and down through the central parts of mexico. Stayed in hostels for the most parts and the biggest expence was fuel as the 990 can be thirsty at times. I sure your trip will be a very memorable one..

subscribed

Yea, my 990 gets thirsty cause I'm stupid on the throttle,... well only sometime. Hostels I didn't think of that. Thanks glad your subscribed, I'll try to make it interesting

Aldous Huxley
Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Nice start o your RR. Will look forward to our adventures ahead of us.

Dos Cerveza's Por Favor
I'll get the first round See you soon.

Aldous Huxley
Old 09-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Sound like its going to be a great ride. Subscribed!!!
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Righty now, been running and scrambling taking care of last minute stuff. Rechecked everything and still feels like something is missing something, but at this point screw it! no worries.

All my paper work is in order, Departure in the morning loaded and done... cerveza time

As good as it gets

Aldous Huxley
Old 09-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
I'll be watching this one. Enjoy and safe travels.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
shutterman
some call me bop

Oddometer: 49
Retirement seems to suit you, Sam

Sam, have a safe journey. I am envious of the time you have now to be able to do this. Hopefully for me in a couple of years I can spend more time riding than working. Just have to figure out how to get my sons to pay me stay away from my two businesses.
I am going to follow this RR closely. Stay safe
We travel between the eternities
Robert Duvall - Broken Trail
shutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Kodanja
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Man, I'm envious....I too road Baja in '07, yet still want to go the into the heart of mexico. Have a great ride and be safe! Looking forward to your report.
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
Have a great time. I'll be following along virtually.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
I always forget stuff too. No worries, you'll think of it ... as you pass through Tucson! Usually a credit card will take care of that ... or a Fed Ex overnight to the border?

Have a great trip. Should be fantastic weather! The bike looks very tidy, not overloaded. Perfect tire choices IMO. Do you have enough spare tubes? Good ones are like Gold in parts of Mexico and Cent. Am.

Harvest season approaching around CC.

Looking forward to your ride report.

Hostals: not my cup of tea. In my 20's or 30's ... OK no problem. But in my 60's I don't really fit in most times and the dorm room style ones are rarely clean and security can be "iffy".

A carefully chosen Hotel will be highly negotiable on the rate as tourism is very slow. Be prepared to walk out the door to get your rate... but always with a smile. Friendly is always best in Mexico!

!que le vaya bien!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 09:54 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #13
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 658
I am excited to follow along, Sam. Looks like you have a pretty clean setup. I can't wait to see how it unfolds. I need to get Jessica signed up over here so she can watch too, maybe give her some ideas.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,640
Don't worry much about the Spanish much, I barely speak anything and I get by just fine. If I knew anymore I might just end up in more trouble.

It's really a great trip, just takes money and bike

Have a great time
Old 09-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Don't worry much about the Spanish much, I barely speak anything and I get by just fine. If I knew anymore I might just end up in more trouble.

It's really a great trip, just takes money and bike

Have a great time
Oh good one Bike I have,

Hey, I never did read how you escaped Cuba.......... awesome read BTW.

Quote:
I am excited to follow along, Sam. Looks like you have a pretty clean setup. I can't wait to see how it unfolds. I need to get Jessica signed up over here so she can watch too, maybe give her some ideas.
Jason stay tuned and get Jessica to follow along..... I have my Nikon, hopfully I learned something

Quote:
Have a great time. I'll be following along virtually.
LB, I'll get your flower shots... if there blooming

Aldous Huxley