Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #16
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEboy View Post
Ok, turns out I'm not as stubborn as I thought and I'm easily persuaded to change plans and priorities. I didn't want to put the car on the right because I had a stronger and much much easier mounting system on the left side. After pondering the traffic topic I decided to get my head in the game and make it work. Here is what I came up with. What do you think? I also spaced out the lower mounts a little more as mentioned above. Thanks for the comments... please keep them coming.

Lower sub frame is 1.75" .120 wall and the upper 1.25" .120 tubing. Lower rear mount will be braced but didn't get to that today.

She is ready! Turns out I don't work fast enough for her. Frame is 1.75" .120 tubing. Track width should work out to around 44-45". Good??

This is the mount in question. It is behind the oil cooler and only uses that one oil cooler bolt. The bars in the first picture that tie the whole "upper" frame together are only there to give this mount longitudinal and vertical support. I believe it will be strong enough, but don't really know about the forces involved with moderate offroading of a sidecar. Please weigh in... especially if you are a sidecar builder!

Yes... It dose look small in the pic light bracket "8mm bolt?"..
Is there any chance of going up with a 5/16" 8mm plate between the tank & frame?
then bolting though the gusset at the steering head back bone juntion ?
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
Looks like you have a great start. I'm hoping to start on a DR650 based rig this winter.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
D.Bachtel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Thumb

Now that we know your not going to be shuttled to some obscure sticky let me say this...

I like your approach, haven't seen the chaulk board slab layout technique in years, looks like a boilermaker shop.

You have great skills it's evident in your fittings so far.

Go wider on the bottom mounts, say 2/3 the length of the chassis you made. Keep everything at least as high as the lowest part of the bikes chassis.
Go wider at the top, get up at the neck if you can and take the rear up to where the top of a twin shock would be if you had them.
Think about how aero engineers design and attach a wing to a fuselage.

44 inches is not a bad width for an off roader. Stable enough and it should leave you a good 12" for your right boot and leg,
you want a little wiggle room there.

Glad you decided to put the car curbside. With the crown of most roads it would be odd to keep the chair on the highside of the pavement,
not to mention putting your passenger or load out into the opposing flow.

Be prepared to stiffen up that shock, no mushy mushy wallow needed.
You are building an asymmetrical tractor.

Don in Nipomo
D.Bachtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Bachtel View Post

Go wider on the bottom mounts, say 2/3 the length of the chassis you made. Keep everything at least as high as the lowest part of the bikes chassis.
Go wider at the top, get up at the neck if you can and take the rear up to where the top of a twin shock would be if you had them.

Don in Nipomo

I am waiting to see how you do this.

Don in Kalifornia
Salsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
CAVEboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Pro Builders please weigh in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
I am waiting to see how you do this.

Don in Kalifornia
These are some interesting challenges. I am going to have a hard time accomplishing all of them, but will see what I can come up with. I'm a little worried about the motorcycle's frame strength and attaching the diagonal support to the rear of the bike as suggested (bikes tail sub-frame). I have a couple attachment points where I have the cargo tail rack, but the frame there is small diameter and wouldn't seem to take much of a lateral load. I could be wrong. I'll see what I can come up with.

I would like to keep the ground clearance decent so will also look into side car frame height in comparison with the bike's frame clearance.

I found some info from another DR650 car that I believe had DMC mounts and the guy was breaking that oil cooler bolt. The DMC mount is a little different than my contraption, but I am still concerned about that mounting point. I will have to see if there is a decent way to strengthen that mount without it being "hack". I'm sure it would be fine with normal road vibration and stress, but logging roads and washboard vibration may take its toll.

Thanks for the help and yes happy to not be an "obscure sticky". Please keep the comments coming. I know some of you fabricators and sidecar builders have things to say. I may have to take a day and work on the car body for something a little different until I've gotten enough feedback to feel comfortable moving forward with the frame attachment/design.
CAVEboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #21
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,166
Quote:
These are some interesting challenges. I am going to have a hard time accomplishing all of them, but will see what I can come up with. I'm a little worried about the motorcycle's frame strength and attaching the diagonal support to the rear of the bike as suggested (bikes tail sub-frame). I have a couple attachment points where I have the cargo tail rack, but the frame there is small diameter and wouldn't seem to take much of a lateral load...
We used an arm coming up from the main subframe and clamping to the smaller rear frame loop of the bike. The KLR has a reputation for a weak rear loop on the frame. This arm carries the rear mount, prevents that clamp from rotating re-enforces the rear loop of the bike frame and helps brace the bottom rear mount.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #22
CAVEboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Keep the advice coming!

Thanks for the info guys! I'm interested in more. I'm still working a few of these mounting questions and answers over in my mind. Looking over many different pictures it seems that my mounting points are similar to many of the other builds I've seen (better triangulated than some actually) and that the additions that have been suggested are in response to my "offroad" inquiries. Basically if I want these mounts to last I need to come up with a little better way of securing the front mount. Without an entirely different mounting setup on the front I don't believe I can get it any higher. The rear mount could be moved if I'm willing to remove the side cover or maybe mount to the bikes subframe where my tail rack mounts. I'm considering these, but not yet entirely sold. Please keep it coming.

I took a break from the frame for a quick start on the tub. I have the bare shape down and that's about it. Added a small rack and windshield frame for the pup (it's not finished but will fold up under the hood of the tub when not in use). Here are a couple pictures of the tub for those that need a global picture of the project's end game. I'm thinking I'll probably mount this to the sidecar frame with rubber bushings of some sort. May not be necessary, but is relatively easy and I like the idea. I've got a left over piece of lexan for the window and am planning a vinyl seat of sorts for the dog and the occasional passenger (wide hips need not apply). I'll post more of this tub project when it's all done... not that the tub is perfect but I really am after feedback on the frame.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #23
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,371
That either a REALLY big dog or a small tub !!
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #24
CAVEboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ha, yeah it does look pretty small. In reality I guess it is on the smallish side, but seems well suited for my smallish bike. It's actually 5' long from tip to tip, but only 17" wide inside. I can fit (150lbs 5'8") and my wife should fit fine (125lbs) but it's really sized by the amount of aluminum I had left over from my last project. I barely had enough to finish the panels. The dog will be comfortable and it will carry smaller sized guests. It does look so small and innocent doesn't it?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #25
dukegnarley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Updates OR ELSE.
dukegnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #26
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Nice craftsmanship!

For the rear upper mount I would think about a sub-sub-frame to tie the right side to the left side under the seat.

You can see the brace that runs diagonally from the right upper shock mount to the left subframe mount on the backbone of my BMW.

Another thing that you could do would be to mount a hook on the back of the rig. That way if you come across a stuck Ural while off roading , you can use your Suzuki to pull their Russian made chain and help them out!

WARNING NOTICE!
Some portions of this post contain sarcasm, a form of humor often misunderstood when translated into Cyrillic characters!
Attached Images

lemieuxmc screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 01:29 PM
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #27
CAVEboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I know, this build went stagnant quick. I can't build more of my car frame until I have the swingarm finished. I have all the parts bearings and such to finish the swingarm and car frame. I am just waiting for a very busy friend to help me out with a little machine work for my swingarm. I've been asking him every couple days and I think he is sick of it, but he is just super busy trying to beat the snow with some house projects. There are a few small things that I've worked on, but don't have any new updates until the swingarm is done. Soon hopefully. I will update I promise. I have a few more questions, but can't really ask them without illustrations.

"For the rear upper mount I would think about a sub-sub-frame to tie the right side to the left side under the seat."

On my DR their is already a piece of tubing that ties the the sides together. If I end up working out the rear mount on the tail subframe then I may have to do what you are saying, but if I keep it on the middle frame tube it will be braced quite well by the factory frame. This is actually part of the reason I want to keep that frame mount set up like it is. I am trying to keep from over stressing the DR frame because I want this sidecar to be easily removable and not change the factor DR stuff. We will see though. New machined parts to come soon hopefully.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #28
spokes bender
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Agreed! Can we move it to the build thread when I don't need help anymore??

Anything to say about the car frame size? What dimensions might yours have? Info and/or pics on swing arms? I am searching and reading plenty in conjunction with these questions, just looking for some specific info that is easier to ask about directly.
Hello caveboy. I m looking to do same thing with my Dr650. Please keep me up date with your project. I'm a welder capable to do any fabrication. The hardest things for me is when to buy wheel and hub, use partd from old bike? I m new here, is there a different thread/forum for hack building. I noticed, you might get reported, if using this thread for hack building project. Keep up the good work.

spokes bender screwed with this post 11-13-2011 at 07:54 PM
spokes bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #29
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,577

Can I see some pics of your subframe?

I'm about to start a right-side DR650 hack for my buddy. This will be for a 4yo passenger similar to the Thing One & Thing Two hack.

I'm thinking a cross between your design and the Thing One & Thing Two design.

But, would like to see pics of your subframe.
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #30
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 927
Spokes Bender, It's up to the individual whether they want to put their hack build in this forum instead of "some assembly required".
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote