Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #1531
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
They are not motorcycle enthusiasts, these are 'bikers.' If you look, they have 9,000 miles on their 10 year old bike and their idea of a ride is a 10 mile round trip to the bar having bike night. Let them go, ignore the show.

Some of us HD owners like to ride...with stock pipes and no fringe. I have over 70k miles on mine and still ticking away....
+1.

Don't let the life-stylers discourage you.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #1532
speednut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
For every one of those there are plenty who aren't like that.

Choose to remember the idiots of any grouping and you'll dislike everyone.
I agree.
speednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #1533
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
I don't even know why Harley riders bother with this MoCo-billboard-piratey image thing. I was in Florida this winter and everyone and their grandmother was driving a Harley. They're as common as McDonalds. It's like a uniform.

That aside I love driving my Road King Classic. My goto bike is my GSA, but every time I get on that RK and am on an appropriate road (country, light traffic, rolling hills, some good twisties) I feel fantastic.

My only gripe, how the hell do you deal with valve on the rear tire? I've got the spoked wheels. I can barely see it, much less check the pressure.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #1534
dceggert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
* Snip

My only gripe, how the hell do you deal with valve on the rear tire? I've got the spoked wheels. I can barely see it, much less check the pressure.
Is your valvestem straight out between the spokes or is it coming out of the rim on an angle? My Ultra has the stem on the angle and I have a window of about 15 degrees that I can get to it under the right saddle bag. About 4 years ago I installed a center stand as well so now I don't have to worry how I park it and I can just rotate the wheel to get to it.
2005 R1200GS (sold)
1999 HD Ultra Classic
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #1535
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Is your valvestem straight out between the spokes or is it coming out of the rim on an angle? My Ultra has the stem on the angle and I have a window of about 15 degrees that I can get to it under the right saddle bag. About 4 years ago I installed a center stand as well so now I don't have to worry how I park it and I can just rotate the wheel to get to it.
Straight out. Any ideas on how to get an angle? 15 degrees would make a huge difference.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #1536
dceggert
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Straight out. Any ideas on how to get an angle? 15 degrees would make a huge difference.
The angle is built into the wheel so without changing wheels it is not possible...but I do have a proposed solution for you!

Go to the cheepo auto parts store in your area and look for the rubber valvestem extenders that go on the dual rear wheel trucks and motorhomes. They are about 6" long or so and flexible. When you want to check or adjust air pressure in your rear tire remove the cap, screw the hose onto it, then use the valve in the end of the hose to check/adjust the air. When you are done unscrew the hose and put the cap back on.

I do this when I check/adjust my motorhome tires and it makes it pretty easy in very tight places.
2005 R1200GS (sold)
1999 HD Ultra Classic
Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #1537
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The angle is built into the wheel so without changing wheels it is not possible...but I do have a proposed solution for you!

Go to the cheepo auto parts store in your area and look for the rubber valvestem extenders that go on the dual rear wheel trucks and motorhomes. They are about 6" long or so and flexible. When you want to check or adjust air pressure in your rear tire remove the cap, screw the hose onto it, then use the valve in the end of the hose to check/adjust the air. When you are done unscrew the hose and put the cap back on.

I do this when I check/adjust my motorhome tires and it makes it pretty easy in very tight places.
Thanks for the tip Dan. I will try that. Kind of a bummer that it's built into the wheel. Maybe I could kill two birds with one stone if that valvestem extender worked for the rear shock valve too.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #1538
dceggert
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the tip Dan. I will try that. Kind of a bummer that it's built into the wheel. Maybe I could kill two birds with one stone if that valvestem extender worked for the rear shock valve too.
It will, but here is another tip...Progressive 440HD shocks. I put a set on 3 years ago and cussed myself silly that I did not do this the day I bought the Ultra. The ride is THAT good. All the harshness is gone, and in the Detroit Metro area where we almost don't have roads anymore, this upgrade was substantial enough to get me to keep the bike! It was destined for the auction block...
2005 R1200GS (sold)
1999 HD Ultra Classic
Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #1539
Geoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
My Harley is as reliable and enjoyable to ride as my BMW RT.

Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #1540
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It will, but here is another tip...Progressive 440HD shocks. I put a set on 3 years ago and cussed myself silly that I did not do this the day I bought the Ultra. The ride is THAT good. All the harshness is gone, and in the Detroit Metro area where we almost don't have roads anymore, this upgrade was substantial enough to get me to keep the bike! It was destined for the auction block...
I hear what you are saying about the shocks. I took the RKC into Manhattan one day and won't do it again. I may consider a shock upgrade next year, but as the riding season is winding down I think I'll stick to the GSA for city trips. The RKC, with the stock shocks, is fine out here in horse country (Northern Westchester). Spent too much motorbike money this year already. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #1541
bmdubyou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
For every one of those there are plenty who aren't like that.

Choose to remember the idiots of any grouping and you'll dislike everyone.

You're right...and I know that. But I'm beginning to not even want to wave at cruisers and I dont like that feeling I have towards other bikers. On a side note: in IL its against the law to modify the exhaust system to make it louder...police dont do anything about it. What really gets me is a guy who works across the street and comes in and leaves at odd hours...like 3am and tears out of the parking lot like he's at the dragstrip. Ive called the police but they wont do anything. ok...sorry to rant! I'm still trying to love everyone!
bmdubyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #1542
davyjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
my 07 Road King

My 2007 Road King at White Rock Lake in Dallas.
Attached Images

davyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #1543
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdubyou View Post
You're right...and I know that. But I'm beginning to not even want to wave at cruisers and I dont like that feeling I have towards other bikers. On a side note: in IL its against the law to modify the exhaust system to make it louder...police dont do anything about it. What really gets me is a guy who works across the street and comes in and leaves at odd hours...like 3am and tears out of the parking lot like he's at the dragstrip. Ive called the police but they wont do anything. ok...sorry to rant! I'm still trying to love everyone!

Man you would HATE my neighborhood! and probably most of my fiends and some of my bikes ....

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #1544
BrianK
F'in' half ass lookie boy

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
Man you would HATE my neighborhood! and probably most of my fiends and some of my bikes ....
Don't doubt it for a minute.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #1545
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,554
Quote:

just take your saddlebags off to air up your shocks and rear wheel...just takes a couple seconds and makes it way easier

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote