Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #4531
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
[QUOTE=going south;16917206][
Quote:
QUOTE=dwj - Donnie;16915242]I \

Hey Donnie: I usually don't wade into this, As I am not as eloquent as Trice, Crash, Schizz, supa,mikemike,ace,PJ,Sr forgive me for omitting the others.... I live in Mazatlan 6-7 months a year, I have done a few big loops through Mexico all over the place.... I have come head to head with crash in Lazaro Cardenas, In veraCruz Mikemike gave me some great side trips, thanks MikeM...

And every sunday I meet with the local Bike gang at the Pemex for a ride... these Locals are not slouches in any since of the word or level .... the one Harley rider is the chief of surgery at sharps in Maz..... a lawyer & dentist, I am truly the low man on the totem pole in this gang....... I am trying to paint a picture here of my (gang)..

And this is where I wish I was more of a wordsmith, they tell me that this drug thing has been around for years... that they the Cartels are just placing the bodies a little more conspicuously as scare tactics for the others... Cartels-Zetas
and that it helps keep the pipe line open for faster delivery.... nobody in the way as it were....

And they (my friends) are wondering, is this an American Media scare tactic to keep gringo $$$ in America??? to send it to fort Lauderdale, Hawaii, to Arizona to keep the cash in the USA... to help out the new administration???... as you have stated "they have already substantially injured the tourism industry"

I gotta tell ya Donnie I don't know jack about shit, BUTT I gotta a lot of miles in Mexico this year 2011, and I trust my friends.... I don't know what to say from here, Butt and it is a really big butt... if you are near Mazatlan and I am not in Alaska (where I work) look me up I'll show you around town, and if it's sunday you is going for a ride, and then turn you loose.... and that goes for the rest of you....
the first beer is on me.....

I don't fall for the media hype, but I also don't ignore the facts. My wife and I spent nine weeks in Mexico in the past two years. Those two trip included more than 12,000 miles within Mexico's borders. We normally travel the back roads and small towns. My wife is gone now, but that will remain my travel method. We/I don't pick a small geographical area and spend a few days, we cover most areas of the country, traveling for weeks at a time. I have ridden around 20,000 miles in Mexico in the past four years, plus I worked there for five and a half years.

I am very familiar with issues that have always been present in Mexico, but I think a new era is taking hold of Mexico and I fear for the country as well as its people. Vicious gangs have got in bed with the ever present corrupt police and politicians. This has already and will continue to be a devastating thing for Mexico and its people. The days of your biggest concern being the possibility of paying a $10 bribe to a cop are gone!

In Sheryl's last trip to Mexico, I was looking forward to taking her to Creel. I had been there twice before. When we got there, it was like a ghost town! Other than a few local kids on the streets, it was barren! The experience I had hoped for my wife was gone! I worked at a number of facilities during my career, but Mexico was my favorite, not because of the manufacturing plant, but because of the people. It greatly saddens me to see what is happening!

While I know the demand for drugs in the US is fueling much of this violence, it cannot be blamed for the atrocities that are allowed by those in power in Mexico. Maybe Calderon, who I believe is a good and sincere man, is fighting the wrong enemy. Maybe he should first fight the corrupt politicians and police that is allowing and profiting from the drug trade. After that war is won, then go after the remaining Drug Cartels. Until then, I will continue to monitor what is going on and make my decisions of whether to cross the border on a "real time "basis.

It seems that most folks are in one of two camps, they have heard stories and seen TV coverage and chose not to take the risk without indept knowledge of the real problems, where they are and how to avoid them. Or they ignore all warning signs and pretend there is no real danger. I think the first group may be missing out on some excellent adventure and the second group put themselves and anyone that listens to them in more danger than is necessary. But of course, that is simply my opinion!

Thanks for the tour offer. I have been in or through Mazatlan three times in the last few years and it probably won't be the last!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #4532
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Donnie,
Let me get this straight. You're riding your KLR from Clarksdale to Baja ?

How else would you get it there? I have done 5,000 mile plus trips on it in the past. It ain't nothing for a Mississippi Boy!It has over 67,000 miles on it and has been trucked/trailers for about 6,000 miles. My max one day ride is 599 miles, but there are folks that have ridden then much more! I have five motos in the garage now that I have put over 360,000 miles on!

Here is a link to a 12,000 mile plus ride I took after Sheryl's death, but it was not on the KLR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708584
Old 09-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #4533
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Probably the KLR. If I was trucking it to the border, but I'm not, I would take the KLX250S. Planning on riding around for about a month, want to go?
If at all possible, yes. Let's keep in touch.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #4534
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
How else would you get it there? I have done 5,000 mile plus trips on it in the past. It ain't nothing for a Mississippi Boy!It has over 67,000 miles on it and has been trucked/trailers for about 6,000 miles. My max one day ride is 599 miles, but there are folks that have ridden then much more! I have five motos in the garage now that I have put over 360,000 miles on!

Here is a link to a 12,000 mile plus ride I took after Sheryl's death, but it was not on the KLR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708584
Yes,
I know you can do it. It just takes me longer to ride to the border than it does to drive my truck and tow. That was my only point. That; and I'd rather drive my truck through Houston than ride my bike. If I'm going to Mexico, then I have to go through Houston which can be a royal pain.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #4535
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizzman View Post
if at all possible, yes. Let's keep in touch.
ok!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #4536
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Yes,
I know you can do it. It just takes me longer to ride to the border than it does to drive my truck and tow. That was my only point. That; and I'd rather drive my truck through Houston than ride my bike. If I'm going to Mexico, then I have to go through Houston which can be a royal pain.
My solution for riding through large cities on a moto is to get in the far left lane and ride however fast they are driving. For me, it is far safer because you don't have the lane changing and merging traffic to contend with. Of course speed can be a bit of an issue with the 250 sometimes!I especially like the HOV lanes.

Back in1987 Sheryl, Tracy and me were driving through Houston and had an 18 wheeler change lanes, hitting us in the left rear quarter panel and push the car down I10 sideways at MPH! Totaled out a near new car, but other than a few bruises and bumps, plus a few stitches in my leg all was fine.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #4537
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
My solution for riding through large cities on a moto is to get in the far left lane and ride however fast they are driving. For me, it is far safer because you don't have the lane changing and merging traffic to contend with. Of course speed can be a bit of an issue with the 250 sometimes!I especially like the HOV lanes.
Bingo!! We have a winner!!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #4538
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Be back after lunch:)

Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #4539
Geoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Mexico isn't safe. Stay away, gringo.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #4540
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,937
If Calderon ever got serious about fighting the narcos, he could start by building a fence around San Lazaro!
Every single Mexican politician and their families should have their passports and visas revoked and they should be forced to take vacations within their own country before jetting off to Orlando and Beverley Hills etc... Their kids should be forced to attend state run public schools and they should all be audited out the whazoo, be forced to take public transportation and receive treatment in public hospitals. They should also be forced to learn to ride a motorcycle and cover miles here from north to south and east to west as well as be subject to registering a vehicle and the paperwork it entails. He won't ever do it, he isn't half the politician or man that the late Manuel Clouthier was.

There, I feel a lot better now! Being capable of whipping myself into a one man, pitch fork carrying, torch bearing tornado like frenzy, gives me a false sense of security that I have the answers, when I really don't.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #4541
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
There, I feel a lot better now! Being capable of whipping myself into a one man, pitch fork carrying, torch bearing tornado like frenzy, gives me a false sense of security that I have the answers, when I really don't.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #4542
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

It sounded pretty good to me!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #4543
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

I started working in Mexico in 1986. The hyper inflation had supposedly wiped out the middle class before I got there, all that remained was the wealthy and the poor. It seemed in the past decade that the middle class has again began to flourish. To the folks here that live in Mexico, is the Drug Wars and all of the connected problems going to do again what the hyper inflation of the middle 80's did? BTW, the pesos vs the US dollar went from about 600 to 1 in April 1986 to the 2200 to 1 range by year end. We were giving monthly salary increases to all of our employees in the range of 20% or more per month and they were steadily getting behind! It was brutal!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #4544
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
If Calderon ever got serious about fighting the narcos, he could start by building a fence around San Lazaro!
Every single Mexican politician and their families should have their passports and visas revoked and they should be forced to take vacations within their own country before jetting off to Orlando and Beverley Hills etc... Their kids should be forced to attend state run public schools and they should all be audited out the whazoo, be forced to take public transportation and receive treatment in public hospitals. They should also be forced to learn to ride a motorcycle and cover miles here from north to south and east to west as well as be subject to registering a vehicle and the paperwork it entails. He won't ever do it, he isn't half the politician or man that the late Manuel Clouthier was.

But, if this were the case no one would ever run for public office. Actually we should enact those policies here.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #4545
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Going South has it correct. +1

Acapulco is not a lot of fun these days. 10 hotels have closed their doors, and Carlos and Charlies was on a big slide and likely wasn't going to see it through. That really says it all.

The lesson here is to avoid the urban areas. Stick to the rural areas where life is pretty much like it was years ago.
The major urban centers are where you are likely to find the body dumps etc... like what happened here on Tuesday. Sometimes these things are just outside the urban areas but usually not in the rural areas on the libre and secondary roads. Having said this, there is more risk for residents than travelers simply based on how much travel you do inside the city on a daily basis. The chances of you having problems are far less than me for example because I have to transit the city every day at all hours.

Don't hesitate to visit Mexico, just avoid the urban centers where there have been problems and stick to the fun rural areas.
Thanks!Heard on FOX about the teachers staying at home through threats!Think i'll be having a back road tour all
the way to Belize! :)
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote