Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the land line thing,

the old analog loop from the CO is about the last thing to go down in an emergency. All the voip/fiber/coax cable stuff is much more vulnerable. I've been supporting VoIP systems since 2003 and make a good living at it, but it will be a long time until it can trump the reliability of the old analog system. The old system was 100 years in the making.

The new converged IP based technologies for voice and video are only growing on the basis of the added capacity and services they bring.
  2. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still mixed with the landline thing. Unfortunately, both my hard-wired lines went away when FIOS entered and we signed on.
  3. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what are you listening to? I've got a bunch of vinyl, and a turn table but nothing to hook it up to.
  4. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fiber isn't that bad but it staying connected relays on you having power for the modem more than anything else. The power on the CO end is probably about the same as it was for the old copper. I think your main driver is going to be cost. Does the additional minutes to cover your added cell usage cost less than the telephone portion of your Fios.

The other issue though is that the cell towers seem to be much more oversubscribed than land lines. Lots more busy signals when big events happen. Of course I'm sure a 911 call would kick a non emergency call off the line instead of give a busy signal, assuming the towers are still up and powered.

I'm probably not doing much to help you decide either way. I'll see you Sunday if our ride is still own with Greg. Maybe Eddy will join us too if the weather clears a little.
  5. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screw the commo stuff 'til the next "disaster," but I am going on the ride, Will actually be attending church with Greg and my wife to hear a former youth minister preach. My daughters both were a part of his ministry back when, and I haven't seen him in years. It will be nice.

Funny how time, circumstances, events change your mind set. Today a major event happened in my life, but it not only affected me, it affected the whole family. Definately a time to consider all around me, and the direction I need to go.
  6. Greenflyfarmer

Greenflyfarmer I'm better now.

Oddometer:
    Well I found the Revealing Science of God on the turntable from Tales of Topogragphic Oceans. It had likely been there 8 or 10 years. I cued up The Yes Album and then Fragile sounded scratchy. Wonder why. Zoso is working now. Used to love that british progressive stuff. Sounded different to a hillbilly boy.
  7. Greenflyfarmer

Greenflyfarmer I'm better now.

Oddometer:
    Now that I think back.....the last time I was still listening to vinyl. Hold on, its been awhile.

A drunk killed my sister. Julie and her boyfriend were hit head on by a guy that was driving down the wrong way on the interstate in the far left.......lights off. He lived. Thought about killing him for awhile but I'm not that kind of man. You figure that out about yourself in times like that, cold blood and all. Ten days later my wife and I got married, my little Alsasian grandma walking around my wedding shaking hands with eveyone saying she was Julie's grandmother...Listened to Yes all night, I have All of their albums before they went pop on the last one, which was worthless. Bottle of bourbon, tears.

Next thing I'm busy with graduate school and working ALL the time, day and night. Vinyl went to tape then to CD and albums collected dust in the bottom of the old stereo. Last time I listened to vinyl I was still a kid.
    The world has turned over since then. Heck. Elvis was still warm ish.

8. JHVA

JHVA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greg, sent ya a pm about the ride Sunday.

cheers,

j
  9. DirtDoctor

DirtDoctor Long timer

Oddometer:
    John, your PM hasn't come thru yet.I'll keep looking for it.I can be reached at 804-690-4261-cell.

We plan to meet at my Dental Office at 2 PM on Sunday (3525 Iron Bridge Road,Richmond,VA 23234) in south Richmond at the corner of Iron Bridge/Broad Rock Blvd and Patsy Ann Drive.We'll most likely be riding strictly street on this one. All are welcome!
  10. DirtDoctor

DirtDoctor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guy, CONGRATS !!! :clap
  11. manganos

manganos Let me pontificate.

Oddometer:
    Congrats Guy!!!!! :clap
  12. jwray76

jwray76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations Guy! Nice to see that they gave you a nice going away celebration. I have no question that you will have problem making some bucks here and there if needed. Hell with the shop set up you have and engineering knowledge you would have no trouble coming up with some KLR or Connie parts that you could easily sell on here.

As far as the landline thing we let it go a while back, but because we still had a home alarm and like the convenience of a central home number we went with a VOIP. Don't hear much about them these days but we have been really pleased with our no service charge OOMA http://www.ooma.com/ One time capex of about $200 was it. In case of power failure it automatically forwards to my cell.
  13. manganos

manganos Let me pontificate.

Oddometer:
    I ditched my landline even when I was an engineer for VZ. They refused to spend the money to even give us DSL so I went the wireless route and have not looked back. Wireline is dead as far as I'm concerned :deal
  14. higworld

higworld Cheeseburger in Paradise

Oddometer:
    Well, I went to "Guys Garage" today, and let me tell you ... what a mistake. First of all, he put in extra hours that he didn't bill me for. He took way too much time doing the job right .. like using a torque wrench, swabbing on anti-seize, and putting his ratchets on a metal lathe so they would work with my BWM. And then he had the gall to actually check and re-check my head covers to make sure they were sealed correctly. What kind of mechanic does that? Sigh.

:clap:clap:thumb:beer:ricky

Seriously, I took my GS to Guy because I've never done valves before. (Yea, yea .. I know). He took the time to do the job right, and even taught this mechanic-wannabe how to do it next time. Nice to see someone as prepared as he was. (Damn Kawasaki owners usually can't spell BMW. LOL!) Sync'ed my TBs as well. Bike runs far smoother now. Less vibration. Even though only two valves were off-spec.

My only issue, and it has nothing to do with Guy, is now I have a slight surge at a certain RPM. I thought I was one of the lucky few who didn't have that malady. Guess the bike liked the TBs slightly off-sync and the valves a little tight. It's nothing bad, just a little surge at 3k. Easy enough not to cruise at that RPM. So I traded a smoother running bike, and in spec, to get the manufactures surge added back in. :-D

Thanks Guy for your work and your education! I will definitely use your services when I get a job that is too much for me to handle. (That final drive and/or Hall sensor have got to go sometime, right?).

- Rick
  15. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn wannabe mechanics. That was a socket I turned down, NOT a ratchet. That mighta been ugly. I actually peeled another several thousands off the entire length after you left so it'll be ready for the next Beemer that comes in whose plugs are buried so deep that they never see the sun.

Seriously, thank you very much for the nice report and the opportunity to service your bike. It was just as much a learning experience for me, as it was, I hope, for you. I certainly enjoyed the time we had together, and always glad to share what knowledge I have with others.... even tho' it may be taking food outta my mouth in the future. :cry

I didn't know if your bike did, or didn't have a surge issue before you brought it in. Apparently there are ways to tune it out, or minimize it at best, but the name of the game today was put everything we touched into spec. Once I get more familiar with the BWM fuel systems, we can try and correct that if you wish.

Thank you again.

P.S. - I have your coffee mug, it's dun been washed, so you just need to let me know what future local rides you may be hitting so I can get it back to you.

Best.

16. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    Will this rain ever end?

Feels like Dagoba. :huh
  17. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am going to try to stop by Greg's office today at 1:30 to say hello to everyone, kick tires, chat about bikes and show everybody my new wheels, unfortunately, don't think I will be able to go on the ride due to "prescheduled family plans".
  18. JHVA

JHVA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is everyone? Meet time 2pm and got here at 2:08. Cancelled or left already?
  19. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed everyone today, got tied up visiting a friend who needed a visit during a tough time...Hope to see everyone soon!

Let's plan for a overnight, dual-sport ride next weekend!
  20. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer: