Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #61
Ditmo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I've owned two Nissan pickups. '87 hard body 4x4 w/ 4cyl that I sold with 240K on it and a '99 Frontier V6 4x4 that I've never had a problem with. Still have the '99 and won't sell it anytime soon. I bought the '99 new because of the reliability of the '87 that I thrashed. The '99 has relatively low miles because it was only my daily driver for a year. I don't like the new Toyota's or Nissan's. If I'm going to get that crappy MPG I might as well buy a full size truck. I wish they'd bring the 4cyl diesels into this country.

I put more miles on my bikes each year than my car or my truck.
2007 XL883R
Ditmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #62
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,916
When I bought my Xterra I also cross shopped Frontiers and Tacos (decided, I didn't want a pickup). The main thing that kept me away from Toyota is the cost. The Xterra had everything a comparable Toyota could offer, plus a more powerful engine for several thousand dollars less. But yes, there are some niggling issues I probably wouldn't have if I had a Toyota -- most specifically the need to replace the radiator before it contaminated the transmission fluid by leaking coolant into the trans cooling loop. Other than that, it has been totally faultless and has some balls to go with it. The fuel mileage isn't great but it isn't as terrible as a lot of people say. I have a heavy foot and still average 19 MPG in city driving. On a recent road trip I got 26!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #63
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 4,299
All I know is I have a 2010 reg cab 2 wheel drive, after a year and a 1/2 its worth 1k more than I paid for it.

I used to laugh my ass off at the dealer when they asked 14k for a 8 year old truck with 150k miles on it, no mas.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #64
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Between the girlfriend, and my brother and his wife we have 3 '05's in various different configurations. One has over 180k and all have been stone reliable, the v6 4x4's average about 20mpg and the 2wd 4cyl manual gets 26-28, unless you drive like I do and then it gets less.

The only trouble we had was when the sister in-law backed into the girlfriends in the driveway and we had to explain which red 2005 tacoma hit the blue 2005 when all three are insured with the same company by my brother and I. We finally sorted it out by referring to them by the last couple digits of the VIN but it was a bit Abbot and Costello there for a while.

buy one for yourself too.
cameron110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #65
4wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,608
I have an '05 with 75k or so. It has been stone toyota reliable with one glitch........It broke 2 teeth off the ring gear in the rear diff. I attribute this to "Prebroken" parts.......I bought the truck new, it has never been abused, though it has been worked hard on occasion. I figure someone dropped the diff on the floor before it was installed, and cracked the teeth.

The upside.........Since they never break, buying an almost new used differential was reasonably cheap, since the market for used part is not very big.......They don't break, so who would buy one?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #66
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
4 year old thread? I hope his boy's not still waiting on Dad to buy him a truck!

I have three Toyotas. I won't own another not because they're junk, but because they will outlive me.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #67
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyprimate View Post
4 year old thread? I hope his boy's not still waiting on Dad to buy him a truck!

I have three Toyotas. I won't own another not because they're junk, but because they will outlive me.

I've owned two in the past and had no problems resale. Just bought two more and they are definitely a long term purchase as they will run forever. They are pricey I will say that but if you tend to keep for years they are worth it.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #68
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
Where do people find them pricey?

Wife's RAV was 4 grand cheaper than the competition from KIA and Hyundai. 4 GRAND!!! and we got better financing!

Tacomas are cheaper than Nissan, Ford, Chevy's trucks.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #69
street tracker
High, wide, and handsome

Oddometer: 1,450
I haven't been here in almost three fucking years, and this is what I come back to?

Nice to know it's still the same old place.

Okay, on topic: other than the painted fender flares fading to pink, my '01 S-Runner is still un-killable after 10 years.

http://www.gearheadsgarage.com
street tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #70
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,496
Quote:

Wife's RAV was 4 grand cheaper than the competition from KIA and Hyundai. 4 GRAND!!! and we got better financing!

My Tundra which is a pretty well optioned "base" model was $4K less than the gutless F150 I test drove.
And the Ford was a stripped model, rubber floors, no C/C, CD player, or power anything.

I don't have any plans of selling it before it falls completely apart.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #71
ricker
BGR8FUL

Oddometer: 118
Grease your steering stops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness View Post
There's one gripe; the freekin ball joints have a rubber deely that dries out and makes a sound like your truck just shat out it's transmission when you turn hard one way or the other, like when backing up.
ricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #72
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by street tracker View Post
I haven't been here in almost three fucking years, and this is what I come back to?

Nice to know it's still the same old place.

Okay, on topic: other than the painted fender flares fading to pink, my '01 S-Runner is still un-killable after 10 years.
well, there's this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723504

Mr. J screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 04:03 PM
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #73
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,566
Quote:

Many people buy them used, they hold their price very well. A two year old taco will cost more than a ford ranger same age.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #74
street tracker
High, wide, and handsome

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post

http://www.gearheadsgarage.com
street tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #75
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,277
I've had three of 'em, 2 1986's and a 1996 or so that I have now, all 4x4, all ran well as long as I had 'em - the first one was still going last time I talked to the second owner, the second one was a turbo 4 cylinder that my son rolled [dumbass!], and the third one is a v6 that I just got 8 months ago well used and am putting to brutal use around the ranchette.

The Son has almost 200K on his replacement Taco.

I love 'em.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: