User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Subscribed...

I grew up in St. George. Graduated form Pine View and Dixie College. Thanks for the thread!

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #17
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Pop on the Apex Mine Road

Here's my father-in-law, visiting from PA. We call him "Pop." He's almost 81, and still running his own business, mainly to provide work for his employees, certainly not for money. Overall, a great guy, and a great father-in-law. Pop has been a Harley and Goldwing man over the years, but hasn't ridden much for the last 10 years. His wife of 50 years passed away a few years ago. Pop was crushed, but has since bounced back nicely. In fact, so nicely that he has a new girlfriend, age 62. Rock-on, Pop! My wife is totally cool with all this. No disrespect to the mom, but life goes on.

My little role in all this, with encouragement from my wife, was to get Pop back on the bikes, if he wanted. And he's into it. He comes to the breakfast table in our house with his helmet, and asks if we have any plans for the day. "I don't know, Pop, what would you like to do???"

So, that is the intro to Pop. Here is Pop with the bikes at a local lunch place, just prior to our ride. Sorry, no pics on the food. Next time. Pop's new girlfriend was with us and we were trying to make a good impression.

I ask Pop, do you want to ride pavement, or dirt? He hasn't been on a bike in over a year. He boldly says dirt. These bikes are dirt bikes, aren't they? Right on. We should all be lucky enough to have a "new" girlfriend, 18 years younger, and be riding dirt bikes in our early 80s.

We leave St. George, pass through Santa Clara, and Ivins, turn left on old Highway 91 and start up the Utah hill, all pavement. We make a quick left onto the Apex Mine Road, officially named the Joshua Tree Scenic Backway. For all you inmates, this is a great road, very easy dirt unless muddy, with spectacular views, and lots of variations. Highly recommended. I'll post up more pics on a future ride. This was a simple day with Pop.

The map photo for those following along at home. The dirt part is highlighted in yellow. Our ride went from Shivwitz on the Joshua Tree Scenic Backway (gaining elevation), to the turn-off (back east, downhill) on Hollow Wash Road. This is road has a few areas prone to wash outs, but is generally in good repair. The cliff bands of the White Hills are great as the road descends, eventually returning to pavement in Bloomington (Navajo Drive).

Pop, taking a break on the descent. Quote: "All this downhill is crushing my balls on the front of the seat." Pop doesn't stand up much. Pine Valley Mountain is in distance on right horizon.

Last pic. Here's where the story takes a turn. Just after this pic, notice the short sleeves, Pop dumps the bike in some loose gravel. I pick the bike up, and he gets up and hops on. No resting for Pop. We go another 100 yds and he dumps a second time. This time I ride the bike forward through the loose shit, then retrieve my bike.

By the time I catch up, Pop is already on his bike and moving again. Tough old bugger. Couldn't take any pics, had to focus on Pop. Back down on pavement, Pop cleans up his arm (only a minor scrape). Bike suffered a bent shifter which we pried back into place more or less.

Good ending to the story. Pop wants to ride more tomorrow -- very solid guy. Think I'll give him one of my riding jackets. In retrospect, should have done that today.

Pop took his girlfriend and my wife out to Tuacahn tonight while I did cub scouts with my son. Everyone seems happy at bedtime. Good vacation for Pop so far!!!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 09-22-2011 at 11:25 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #18
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Ya gotta love Pop's honesty (crushing my balls). Good Pop story and ride.

In 2007, my dad road my TW for a quick spin. I hadn't seen him on a bike in over 30 years. Pretty big grin. I bet Pop had a pretty big grin too, at least with the helmet on.
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #19
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
We should all be lucky enough to have a "new" girlfriend, 18 years younger, and be riding dirt bikes in our early 80s.
You've got that right ! Go Pop !!
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #20
azwheelin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. I really enjoy my TW200 as well.
azwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #21
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Big grin from Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Ya gotta love Pop's honesty (crushing my balls). Good Pop story and ride.

In 2007, my dad road my TW for a quick spin. I hadn't seen him on a bike in over 30 years. Pretty big grin. I bet Pop had a pretty big grin too, at least with the helmet on.
Thanks, Inmates (Admiral, Superhawk, AZwheelin).

Yeah, big grin from Pop. Here's a pic from today's ride. No dumps, and Pop's girlfriend said he looked like a "badass" wearing my black riding jacket. Apparently, no permanent damage from crushing his balls. He and the girlfriend "slept in" and missed breakfast. Go Pop go!

And Pop in the "badass" riding jacket.

Will post up more pics later. Very fun afternoon ride with Pop and my dad. Pop very happy to be back on the TW200.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #22
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Petroglyphs with Pop and Dad

A few pics from the Petroglyph ride with Pop and Dad. Pop and I at the sign, just over the Arizona border from Utah -- exit at the new St. George airport road. This is 10 miles from my house and the beginning of the AZ strip.

Pop with the bikes, ready to roll. The scrape on his arm from the two dumps yesterday is all fixed up (wife is doctor), and Pop is ready to roll.

And the close-up. As Pop says, "I'm one lucky guy."

Pop and my dad arriving at the Petroglyph site. This is an easy ride on smooth dirt, very accessible from St. George. There are great rides that continue further south, deep into the AZ strip. More details on that later. Today, was all about a pleasant afternoon jaunt with Pop and Dad.

Observation: Rock looks very southern Utah "red" for being called the "Little Black Mountain Petroglyph Site"

A few petroglyph shots:

Dad with his Honda. This is really a great little bike. Don't hesitate if you are considering it.

Bikes on the open road, headed back to St. George.

Final shot of our little trio, me excluded. Very fun afternoon with Dad and Pop. No dumps and Pop has his mojo back. He wants to go to Brian Head this weekend, perhaps to mess around with the bigger road bikes up there. Have to keep him calm -- no passengers, especially not the new girlfriend. Might be best to stick them on the ATVs and let them have fun that way.

Thanks for ridin' along, inmates. Highly recommend the AZ strip if it fits your plans. Will post more in future, but next rides will likely be Brian Head area or higher elevation. Almost time for fall color. Ride safe.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #23
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Fall Color at Brian Head

Good weekend with Pop at Brian Head, but he decided to back off the motos. The Vulcan 900 looked "daunting" in the garage, and the ATVs looked fun. Pop and the girlfriend both got on the ATVs and had a great time.
She was an ATV newbie, so at age 62, this was a big accomplishment. Pop was so proud.

The fall colors at high elevation were starting to shine. The next few weeks will be primetime. Gorgeous. Go for elevation, inmates, if you can.

Bonus: Name that diner . . . on the long way back from Brian Head (to St. George) we stopped for food & drink. Lunch on me for the first inmate to name the restaurant/location. Did you try the pie?

Pop wanted to stop here. He liked the sign

Old 09-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #24
BeezaBoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
So cool that you can ride with your Dad and Pop.

I've always just driven through St. George, but it looks like I'm missing out on miles and miles of great riding.

I'm subscribed!
BeezaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:47 AM   #25
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,498

Thunderbird. Just had a slice there 3 weeks ago.
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #26
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thunderbird - Mt. Carmel Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post

Thunderbird. Just had a slice there 3 weeks ago.

Dead on, Sam. Let me know the next time you're in St. George. Lunch on me. Fun to ride a bit together if that would work out too.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 01:42 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #27
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Dead on, Sam. Let me know the next time your in St. George. Lunch on me. Fun to ride a bit together if that would work out too.
Will do! Thanks for the invite.

You really are starting to build a great post highlighting the beauty of So. Utah.

Sam
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #28
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tribute to MSH's Alma Mater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH View Post
Subscribed...

I grew up in St. George. Graduated form Pine View and Dixie College. Thanks for the thread!

Thursday in the day the cleaning ladies come to our house. I work from a home office, so often I take off on the bike for a bit as they are finishing the vacuuming -- too loud!!!

Today, only enough time to cruise town and do a few errands. Very easy to pass by the center of town and take a photo at Dixie State College -- a tribute to inmate MSH, an alum from a few years back.

Enrollment at Dixie College has been booming. Major new construction on campus. Alumni contributions, anyone?

And the final plan. "Centennial Commons" -- it will be a showpiece!

Ride safe,

Old 09-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #29
tgregg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Thursday in the day the cleaning ladies come to our house. I work from a home office, so often I take off on the bike for a bit as they are finishing the vacuuming -- too loud!!!

Today, only enough time to cruise town and do a few errands. Very easy to pass by the center of town and take a photo at Dixie State College -- a tribute to inmate MSH, an alum from a few years back.

Enrollment at Dixie College has been booming. Major new construction on campus. Alumni contributions, anyone?

And the final plan. "Centennial Commons" -- it will be a showpiece!

Ride safe,
I live in SunRiver and am always looking for a riding companion. Here is link to my Torrey ride last weekend

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/...ad.php?t=48108

my email is tgregg6721@yahoo.com
St George, UTAH
tgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #30
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Gregg -- Yeah, thanks for the "heads up." I'll be in touch. My work schedule is fairly flexible, so I ride on weekdays fairly often. There is another guy with a TW200, often with free time on Wednesdays, who lives near me in Green Valley (I live in Shadow Mountain). Perhaps we have a few rides in our future -- rubber side down.

Heading to Brian Head for weekend. Should be near peak color at the highest elevations. Ride safe.