Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
SL100 progress & SL350 update

Have been working on my daughters SL100, trying to get the now running motorcycle to perform properly. Even though it starts fairly easily, it doesn't want to run past mid throttle and runs very rich, with a light inversion of fuel coming back out of the carb throat. I went back into the carb several times, cleaning and adjusting, especially the float level as well as checking the needle (center position) and nothing changed. I also went through and tightened the head bolts (they were loose), adjusted the cam chain, valves and reset the timing again. Checked compression, 110 psi and although a little low it is supposed to have a new bore so the low number may be due to rings not being seated yet. Still ran the same, so then I took off the exhaust thinking it might be plugged, but other than being much louder, no change in how it ran.

At this point I decided to order a new float, needle & seat, 105 main jet (it had a 110 in it and looked like it may have been drilled??) carb gasket kit, petcock gaskets, all screws and nuts that were stripped, rounded or otherwise boogered up, and a few other items like new chain, tank mounts, battery strap, etc. While waiting for these parts to arrive, I have fixed or repaired a few other items such as the missing footpeg bolts, continued to sort out the wiring (almost done, really just need to trim and loom everything now) and then last night I decided to put a number plate on it as my daughter has decided on her vintage racing number, #9. She chose this number based on her varsity soccer team number, but I explained to her how the old AMA National Numbers used to work and how this number had always been Gary Nixon's and what an icon he has always been and also how he just recently passed. This number has a lot of meaning for us older riders and I hope it will someday have similar meaning for her.

As far as the SL350, my next step is to have two sets of 2 into 1 exhausts made, one for my bike and one for Paul's (Oregon Coast) SL350. In a couple of weeks I have one whole weekend with nothing planned, that is when I will completely dismantle my SL350 and get a serious start on the winter rebuild.