Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #736
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 820
When I made the decision to get into motorcycle riding a couple of months ago (June-ish), I made good use of my web-fu.

I knew I wouldn't be able to buy a motorcycle until this month, so I knew I'd have the whole summer to sit in front of the computer and read, read, read, and read some more. Bought both "Proficient Motorcycling" books, and took the Team Oregon BRC.

At times my wife has thought my compulsive forum reading has been out of control, but I'm an information hound. I am really quite glad for the existence of all the great motorcycling websites that have been full of helpful, experienced folk that share what they know with the FNG's.

The only "downside" to all the reading I've done, is the depression that went along with having no ride...yet.

10-ish more days and I'll be able to remedy this issue..... not going to make it much longer...must....ride....must escape the cage.....

Anyway, I suppose the point I'm trying to make is I feel like I'm much more prepared to get out on the road than I would have had I never taken the time to do the research. I'm a "stack as many cards in my favor as I can" type of guy.
ShardPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #737
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
So, what bike are you getting in 10 days?
One I can afford!

In all seriousness, I'm not trying to be super picky since I've only got $2,000 to spend and I'm buying used. I'd like to find a cruiser in the 250-750cc range. I will say I'm kind of fond of the Suzuki Savage/S40's because I like thumpers. I'm also keeping my eyes peeled for Honda Shadows and Yamaha Viragos. Year doesn't matter too much, but condition is important. I'm not allergic to doing maintenance, but I don't want a big project.

I don't need something uber-powerful or whatever, as I'm not one of those "bigger is better" types. I know full well that a Honda Rebel 250 (or something similar) would suit my needs just fine.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #738
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
One I can afford!

In all seriousness, I'm not trying to be super picky since I've only got $2,000 to spend and I'm buying used. I'd like to find a cruiser in the 250-750cc range. I will say I'm kind of fond of the Suzuki Savage/S40's because I like thumpers. I'm also keeping my eyes peeled for Honda Shadows and Yamaha Viragos. Year doesn't matter too much, but condition is important. I'm not allergic to doing maintenance, but I don't want a big project.

I don't need something uber-powerful or whatever, as I'm not one of those "bigger is better" types. I know full well that a Honda Rebel 250 (or something similar) would suit my needs just fine.
Well, make sure you save some of that for "the track" or MSF courses... Even if you're like me and don't have a track in THE ENTIRE STATE...

Not sure about where you are,, but $1,500 out of your $2,000 budget should handle it nicely...
Old 10-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #739
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
One I can afford!

Of the bikes you mentioned I say go with the S40. You will not be happy with a 250cc cruiser for long. It is not a case of bigger is better... It is more a case of what the bike is capable of doing.

Also have a look at a Ninja 250. It is likely the only 250cc bike that falls in your budget parameters that is capable of sustained highway speeds. They wrap it like a Sport Bike but it is a Standard

The little Ninja will make you laugh out loud where the others will only garner a smile.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 10-04-2011 at 08:36 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #740
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Well, make sure you save some of that for "the track" or MSF courses... Even if you're like me and don't have a track in THE ENTIRE STATE...

Not sure about where you are,, but $1,500 out of your $2,000 budget should handle it nicely...
Already took the MSF basic course, I've bought gear (Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, Pants, Boots), all I need now is the ride. After I get some time under my belt, I'm going to take the advanced course, which amusingly enough is held on a GO KART track that's in the area.

@Dakez

S40 is my primary choice. There are a couple for sale in the area, and well within my budget.

ShardPhoenix screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 10:28 AM Reason: need to not post before coffee kicks in
Old 10-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #741
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The little Ninja will make you laugh out loud were the others will only garner a smile.
I love my little ninjette. It's so much fun to ride. Has nothing on the bottom end, but talk about corners! Hubby loves it too. He calls it a 'giggle bike' because it makes him grin like the Cheshire cat. And it's really good on gas and pretty reliable. It's just a fun bike. Have fun and ride safe!
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #742
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
GO KART

I wish I had that... I thought I could use an ABANDONED mall for my back-in practice, but the guy ran me off.

Sucks mainly b/c I'm the only one interested in that sort of thing around here, and prolly the 3rd Supermoto in town.

So it's not like there'd ever be droves of bikes roaming the empty parking lots...

oh well...
Old 10-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #743
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
One I can afford!

Get a DR650 of KLR 650 if you like thumpers and only have 2 grand to spend. You will get far more enjoyment out of one of those IMHO. I am just biased, I hate riding on pavement and only do it when necessary. A savage is a good choice though, my cousin got one as a starter bike and is still riding it two years later, he likes it.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #744
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Haven't seen any DR's or KLR's come up in my area. Only seen a couple dual sports come up in my price range, and they were a little... beat up.

Made a couple inquiries to a few guys about some bikes, one of which is a 2005 S40, 9k miles, $1900. I just have to hope it doesn't sell before the middle of this coming week. Have my fingers crossed.

------edit-----
I've just graduated from total wannabe to "newbie". Bought the S40, and am quite pleased with it. My maiden voyage even included 30ish miles of slab.. I-5 between Medford and Grants Pass. Was a beautiful ride.

ShardPhoenix screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 09:22 PM
Old 10-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #745
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Be careful of new tires. The wife low sided her g650 about a month ago and dislocated her shoulder...
daq7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #746
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
The OP asked this question 18 months ago. During that 18 months we have given him 55 pages of information. I think he is probably a guy doing research for a book.

Perhaps for a book about what a new rider should know, but more likely a book about how, when given an opportunity, us humans will grab a string and run with it....when we are asked a question we love to have the answer, be the expert.

This person might be lurking, or dead, or laughing his ass off, or cashing a check, or might have decided that motorcycles are too complicated and just bought a boat instead.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #747
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
That may be so, Scott, but it is still good information for a noob to have. I know it has helped me several times while learning.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #748
MotoMusicMark OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question Not lurking, dead, laughing or...

SCQTT, opaque_machete, DAKEZ, and others,

It's me, MotoMusicMark,...yes, a true moto-noob! Thanks so much for all contributors to this thread. It really took off and, as someone mentioned, probably helped a lot of noobs like me!

I am 53 years young and bought a "wrong" first bike in early 2010. The school of hard knocks told me it was too tall for me despite a seasoned motorcyclist guiding my choice.(There's another point a noob should watch out for!)

You wonder if I am writing a book. Well you're close. A compilation of the good "from the street" information to REALLY help the new motorcyclist I feel is vitally needed. Does anyone have books/videos they know are available along these lines?

I've been basically unemployed for about 2 years and have dreams of doing a seminar series or on-line video to help noobs. Anyone interested in partnering? Are you musical? I've also written a number of motorcycling-specific songs toward a touring band at festivals, expos, etc.

Keep the good info coming for moto-noobs. They appreciate it!

Tip: Be VERY wary of anything that might look slippery because it can get you: road apples, matted wet leaves, oil slick, mud, etc. You'll at the very least get a wiggle in your ass to tell you it was slippery!

best,
MotoMusicMark

P.S. What's a "sticky thread" and a "Perfect line forum"??
MotoMusicMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #749
Bravo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Noob responding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
The bike is better than you are. When you think you've come into a turn too hot, do not chop the throttle, keep it constant and look through the turn.
NOOB reporting in. I'm one of those late bloomers - 48 years old and have been riding for just 6 months. In that time I've ridden 4,000 miles between 2 different bikes. This is a massively helpful thread.

The quote above came from the 1st page. It's succinct, direct, unemotional, and incredibly practical. It's also the one thing I have to regularly force myself to keep foremost in my mind when out for a ride on winding country roads. There are so many golden nuggets in this thread that deserve mention, especially regarding car drivers, conditions, lane position, gear, etc. The one above just resonated with me more than most others.

If I could pass on anything I learned this year, it would be: start small. My first bike was a 250cc Kawasaki Super Sherpa. I put my first 3,000 miles on that bike, including a 1,500 mile, 6 day road trip. I learned basic skills and gained a ton of confidence. When I bought my 650 V-Strom 2 months ago, I felt ready to move up and begin the learning process all over again. Nice thing about starting with a small dual sport is that I now have a little dirt bike for learning some off-road skills.

Then I would echo the other most helpful tips:
- ATGATT. Don't go cheap, either. Buy the best stuff you can afford.
- Ride YOUR ride. Stay within your skill level. Listen to the Dirty Harry in you. "A man's gotta' know his limitations."
- Learn to brake. Then learn it again, again, and again.
- Practice, practice, practice (ride, ride, ride).

Thanks to all who have shared their long years of experience with noobs like me. This thread is a treasure.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #750
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

I had two things, but rightnow can only remember one...

COMMUNICATION; I live in a place where ravines can often accompany the road...

And we've all seen or heard the stories about a overturned car and a person being trapped and not being able to call for help.

Take your phone and put it INSIDE your jacket pocket. Put it in a place that's close, and protected... And the inside jacket pocket is it.

Your wallet and keys and so fourth can't call for help if you're trapped under your bike, and if you put it in a bag that might land out of reach.

Put your phone in the inside pocket of your jacket EVERY TIME you ride.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 11-03-2011 at 07:51 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote