Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #61
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
b) 100MB is what, a couple hours of music streaming? a smartphone becomes a *lot* more fun, and a lot more useful with unlimited data. ;D
I'm getting this so I can surf the web/stream music and generally screw around when I have down time at work. My new position means a lot of time just being there. I can't just leave to find wifi, so it probably won't be an option 95% of the time. Figure 20-25 hours a week of this and how many mb I'd go through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Ahh, true enough. I'd love to stream radio from seattle at the jobsite. But paying that much per month for it? I don't think so. And what really got me to switch away from sprint was the inability to make a call from home.
I don't even really care how it works at home, heck, I don't even care how it works as a phone anywhere. It will be about 90% surfing tool, 9% texting tool, and 1% phone. I have to carry the work phone anyway and can use that whenever, but it doesn't do anything else. My new work phone(which is sprint) works great at my house. I have to walk up the hill to my barn for my verizon to work here. Just waiting for a sale now.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #62
GeoDiablo
compulsive troublemaker

Oddometer: 2,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Non-contract iPhones are likely to stay about the same as Apple tries to be leading everyone with each generation....top of the line prices (which the iPhone is) seem to be pretty stable in the stratosphere. But we are on the 4th generation so you probably could find one used for cheap, the bad news is if it needs a new battery that is a huge expense.
Got mine online for six dollars and change, shipped. Not too tough to do the swap.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #63
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,660
Just went to the Android system. Basically it was a cost issue. I have been with Verizon for many years. I went in to the Verizon store to get three iPhones and a data plan for the family. $800 up front and $200 per month for 700 minutes talk, unlimited msg., and 2GB data (per phone).

Went to the T-mobile store and got 2 HTC Sensations and one HTC Wildfire for $600 up front and $140 per month, 1000 minutes talk, unlimited msg. and unlimited data (2GB per phone per month at 4G then it drops to 3G speed).

Both 2 year plans. Couldn't be happier with the phones. Just like and iPad but smaller and makes phone calls.

The HTC Sensation with its dual core processor and a 4G signal is as fast as my DSL line at home.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #64
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,943
Right now I am waiting for a keyboard and 4G and since that is taking so long I'll probably add quad core to that list which means it wont be till January till I get a new droid

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #65
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,333
Quote:
The biggest factors with the stats you show is

A.) How much do you use 3g vs. Wifi- i.e., I wouldn't download apps or watch videos unless I'm on wifi. It's a hell of a lot faster, for one thing.

B.) Even if I use another 200mb of data (at $10/100mb), I'm still paying less than my sprint plan, and have better reception.

That's how it worked out for me, anyway.
100MB of data is nothing, in a world of GB. And I thought the 5GB caps were small
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #66
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
100MB of data is nothing, in a world of GB. And I thought the 5GB caps were small
Ok, I guess I'm not the typical user. With 13 days left in my first month, I still have 83 MB left. I'm just not interested/don't have time to watch videos and do data intensive stuff on my phone. I may surf advrider for 5-10 minutes at lunch, get my email during the day, and that's about it.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #67
plutonic
Outsider

Oddometer: 3,687
Anyone w/Mac computers at home using an Android phone? What's your experience? Syncing or any other issues? Incompatibility w/Mac ( if any )?

I would love to get an iPhone but I want to stick with T-Mobile and they are not offering iPhone as we all know. My Blackberry is expired so I need another phone.

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."
plutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #68
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonic View Post
Anyone w/Mac computers at home using an Android phone? What's your experience? Syncing or any other issues? Incompatibility w/Mac ( if any )?

I would love to get an iPhone but I want to stick with T-Mobile and they are not offering iPhone as we all know. My Blackberry is expired so I need another phone.
Yep. With the exception of my wife's old Toshiba laptop, we're all Mac here. I run a Mac Mini as a server, I have an old Mac G4 hooked up in the garage, and my main machine is a MacBook. I also have an original Motorola Droid.

No problems really. I used Salling MediaSync to put my music on my phone initially, though now I just manually copy songs into the music folder on the Droid. PDANet works great to tether to my laptop to get internet up at our cabin if I need it.

Oddly enough, I'm due for a new phone. My contract expired last week, and I've been having some problems with my phone over the last couple months. I'm probably going to end up with an iPhone 4s on Verizon. My wife has had an iPhone for years, and is also due (she's on AT&T). It would be nice for us to have all the same apps, same chargers, etc.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #69
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,333
Quote:
Ok, I guess I'm not the typical user. With 13 days left in my first month, I still have 83 MB left. I'm just not interested/don't have time to watch videos and do data intensive stuff on my phone. I may surf advrider for 5-10 minutes at lunch, get my email during the day, and that's about it.
It sounds like more, if you look at it as 70 floppys
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #70
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Just picked up the Galaxy S2 to replace my iPhone.. anyone know of a wireless transmitter/remote control the MP3 portion? With my iPhone I was able to keep the phone in my pocket, and have a wireless device up on the handlebar to control volume and forward/reverse songs (Monster iEZclick).. is something like this available with this phone?

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iEZCli.../dp/B000HVHGI6
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #71
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,290
For you 'Droid users.....today's Amazon free app of the day is a motorcycle trials game. It's not bad and actually pretty difficult in places.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:18 AM   #72
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
I picked up a Motorola Atrix 4G from AT&T a few days ago. I'm really liking it so far. It is a big change going from the Windows Mobile but I'm getting it so far.

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #73
Johnny Truant
Oh brother...

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Right now I am waiting for a keyboard and 4G and since that is taking so long I'll probably add quad core to that list which means it wont be till January till I get a new droid
I had the OG droid with the slide out keyboard and just upgraded tot eh new bionic. I was all about physical keyboard a few years back when I got the first droid, but with once I started using the swype app I rarely found myself sliding out the keyboard.

I miss it in very rare occasions, like when I have to input a password that switches from symbols to letters a lot. The new input methods have come a long way as have the touch screens.
Johnny Truant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 AM   #74
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anevildoer View Post
I had the OG droid with the slide out keyboard and just upgraded tot eh new bionic. I was all about physical keyboard a few years back when I got the first droid, but with once I started using the swype app I rarely found myself sliding out the keyboard.

I miss it in very rare occasions, like when I have to input a password that switches from symbols to letters a lot. The new input methods have come a long way as have the touch screens.
What I like about the physical keyboards is the ability to touch type so I can send out a text without really paying attention.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 10-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #75
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anevildoer View Post

What I like about the physical keyboards is the ability to touch type so I can send out a text without really paying attention.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: