Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
teizms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Question Kevlar & Kevlar Mesh riding gear

Hello folks,
We are "considering" adding Kevlar and Kevlar Mesh suits to our lineup in addition to the Power Shell and Lombard series. Yes these would be the same materials used by Motoport.

My question is, how many of you are looking for Kevlar/Kevlar Mesh gear and what do you want to spend on it. Before we invest in the idea, i want to get an idea of what you folks(the ones who are looking Kevlar based gear) have on your mind.

Please do share - All kinds of comments are welcome
Thanks
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,336
Functionality, visibility, good stitching, crashworthiness.

NoVa Rider screwed with this post 10-04-2011 at 04:30 PM
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
BrainBender
Bounty Hunter

Oddometer: 338
Thumb

Better looking than Motoport (shouldn't be hard) and half the price!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
teizms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainBender View Post
Better looking than Motoport (shouldn't be hard) and half the price!
those two are pretty much a given. (not half but quite a bit less)
Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,688
It's more than the fabric though. Their stuff is built to be bullet proof. Is yours?

If you can match the build quality, you'll have a winner. By far the biggest complaint on Motoport gear is aesthetic. Thing is though there isn't much out there that will beat it on tumble-ability. Anecdotally, it's the best. And, the ugliest. Bulkiest. Clunkiest.

Their quad armor rocks. The Sas-Tec you're using now might be kick ass in a lab, but put it in a suit in the cold and it's a rock. I don't want to land on that. How about upgrading to T-Pro for real protection? If you're upgrading from your generic "CE" whatever that means, how about going whole hog and really upgrading?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms View Post
Hello folks,
We are "considering" adding Kevlar and Kevlar Mesh suits to our lineup in addition to the Power Shell and Lombard series. Yes these would be the same materials used by Motoport.

My question is, how many of you are looking for Kevlar/Kevlar Mesh gear and what do you want to spend on it. Before we invest in the idea, i want to get an idea of what you folks(the ones who are looking Kevlar based gear) have on your mind.

Please do share - All kinds of comments are welcome
Thanks
I am looking for kevlar/mesh kevlar.

What do I want to spend on it? Well, as little as possible. However, I understand real quality costs real money. I spent just shy of $1300 for my current motoport jacket and pants, and another $120, or so, on the gloves. The benefit exceeds the cost, but I am not opposed to increase my margin; $1000 for a good outfit that will last for years is a no-brainer for me.

I expect impact protection for most of my body, superior seam strength, tear resistance, and abrasion resistance. Furthermore, the gear must provide year round flexibility. It must be extremely durable for daily abuse, washable, and low maintenance. It needs to be able to be serviced by you in a reasonable time frame. Easy on and off, particularly for the pants (some of us are old, and we played hard in the past). It should have SOLAS level reflective material. I don't care a whole bunch about how it looks - I understand function over form. At this level of spending, I'm not so sure that "pretty" is important. "Rugged" is a look, too, and one that is appreciated. It must work, all the time.

My motoport gear is built to last. Though I spent a lot of money on it, it will last me for a long, long time, say, oh, about 15-20 years. It isn't stylish, so I don't run the risk of ever going out of style.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
syaufu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I have a motorport suit and just returned from a London to Beijing trip and the suit worked well..would certainly buy another kevlar or kevlar mesh suit as it is very functional for a trip with many different temps and conditions..pricing is always important but the protection used tumps all..so use good protection ..design it well and sell it cheap and it will sell ..bj
syaufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
teizms OP
Beastly Adventurer

JIM - not sure how to word this but - i mostly try to avoid marketing in a manner like "hey this is absolutely the best stuff and most bullet proof stuff out there". As you said, most of the feedback is anecdotal. Wherever we have some proper test results we will provide them and where we don't we will simply say so.

As far as Sas-Tec goes, i have personally (again anecdotal) not experienced the "hardening" of the armor. Apart from the that, the protectors "feel" very protective and are extremely comfortable. I have the choice of using armor from several different vendors but chose Sas-Tec for these reasons. Yes they do provide test data for those who need - for those who don't can always look up crash reports for gear using this sort of armor.

I dont mind using T-PRO if folks are willing to pay for it. However, we are a small company and cant risk investing in T-PRO armor and then have people backing off and saying hey its too expensive. If enough people are willing to commit ahead of time then we dont mind using T-PRO ....or any other material/part.

the worst kind: All good points. i disagree with just one point though. when i spend a large sum of money (large for me at least) i kind of want everything too - including proper design (good looks?).

Generally, i kind of knew it would start tilting towards a motoport comparison but thats not really what the point of this thread is. I want to get an idea of what amount people want to spend on this sort of gear. What can they live with and what they can live without - whats necessary and where can you compromise Were you considering this sort of gear and then dropped the idea ? Why - because of price? because of looks?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,886
I won't repeat what TheWorstKind said...he pretty well covered why I wear Motoport.

I will add that I read your "Women's One-Piece" with great interest. I even showed it to my wife, and if you knew how sick of ADV she is... The one thing I thought it was really missing was kevlar construction, which would sway me to buy Motoport for her. Kevlar vs nylon is a deal-breaker for me, and probably many others. FYI.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
markdrums
Better late than...?

Oddometer: 49
My 2 cents may be slightly different.

I already think you guys are on the right track with the Cordura and SuperFabric materials you're using in the Navigator and PowerShell suits. From all I've heard that's good stuff.

There are way too many threads on ADV with debates on Motoport's kevlar vs other fabrics and whether their armor (Tri, Quad, whatever) is really as great as they say it is. One thing I think most will agree on is that Motoport appears to have the best armor coverage. I've considered getting an Aerostich or one of your one-piece suits for commuting, but what keeps me using Motoport besides the fabrics is the amount and placement of the padding.

So, for me, I don't have to have kevlar if I can get Cordura, Super Fabric and all that for abrasion resistance. Just make sure I'm padded up like a bubble-wrapped egg and I'm good to go.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
markdrums
Better late than...?

Oddometer: 49
One more thing I forgot: it's gotta have a super-obnoxious retina-searing hi-viz color option.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #12
SantaRosa
I'd rather be lost

Oddometer: 214
Plus One

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdrums View Post
One more thing I forgot: it's gotta have a super-obnoxious retina-searing hi-viz color option.
+1 Armor +1 on the Hi-Viz. Durable and long lasting. Price would seem to be relative depending on product quality. If your going to make high end gear then don't cut corners.
SantaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
mikeprince
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I have the Motoport air mesh Kevlar pants and really like them. I bought them for the Kevlar, great air flow, custom fit, and great build quality.

What's kept me back from buying their jacket is cost (which I'd get over at some point) and the very superficial distaste for their design.

My next jacket will be hi-viz.

If you could match Motoports quality, with a design that looks nice, and hit $300-$350 for a jacket you'd have a winner.
mikeprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:04 AM   #14
MZ5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I've considered Motoport gear. I have always stopped short of buying it. I am distinctly unconvinced by their marketing approach that their gear is particularly better than other items that cost vastly less money. At anything remotely approaching their prices, I want to see CE test results. Specifically, abrasion test results AND burst/tear strength of both bulk material AND seams. Note that I say I want to see test reults. I don't necessarily care about the certification itself, but the full-spectrum testing I want to see. Styling (to include available colors) has also been an obstacle for me to buy from Motoport.

Presently, I wear a heavy leather jacket with lots of armor. Sas-Tec is some of what's in the jacket. For lower-body protection, I have Forcefield shorts and pants that I wear under my m/c pants.

I suspect I'm a little different market than most on this board, though, as I'm mainly a commuter in metro Phoenix. So, I need clothing that'll flow some air, but not too much. I need protection _from_ the wind/heat more than anything else in the airflow area. LD Comfort will take care of the heat issue if I have controllable airflow.
MZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,483
I am interested in anything that will protect me better. I also think you are on the right track with your products although I have not yet sampled them. If I needed gear today I would strongly consider the power shell. If the price was not considerably more I would like Kevlar but I think it already looks like a great suit. I also like the reports of customer service where you send a suit out to try on.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote