Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #4696
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
So the official law in Mexico is helmets are required........as I remember from 2 years ago I rode without one but with it prominently displayed and had no problems.

Any thoughts? Other than that I should be wearing one! :)

I'll only say this. If you crash in the US and have a serious head injury, a neurosurgeon probably is pretty close to save you. If you crash in Mexico; how many neurosurgeons do you think there are; and unless you are in a major city I'll guarantee they are NOWHERE close. Your choice.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #4697
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 818
watch texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Is the United States safe ?
Be careful when passing through Texas. The Mexican Cops in Texas are more corrupt and prejudice towards Americans than any Mexican cop, military or citizen is. Once over the boarder, get your paperwork and head south. 50 miles into mexico should be far enough into the country to be safe from the Texas State Troopers! With the Baja you should be fine. Just treat Tijuana and any large boarder town like any sleazy american town and you'll be fine.
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #4698
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
So the official law in Mexico is helmets are required........as I remember from 2 years ago I rode without one but with it prominently displayed and had no problems.

Enforcement is pretty much at the discretion of the officer. I've ridden short distances without a helmet, waved at the officers, and didn't have a problem.

But as been pointed out you really don't want to be laying on the side of the road in a rural area, waiting for the Red Cross ambulance to finish up its last run and then drive 40 miles to where you are at.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #4699
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

A few years ago, we were crossing the Sierra Madre and one of our group low sided in a curve. Fortunately for him the only injuries were abrasions and bruises. We were only about 3 miles outside of Jalapa and the Red Cross ambulance picked him up and took him into town where the clinic x-rayed him, bandaged him and pronounced him OK. If he had had a serious head injury, he would have been in big trouble and would have had a much different outcome. Here in the US of A ambulances tend to be closer, better equipped, and a Medi-Vac helicopter is often within 30 minutes to an hour. Not so, below the border.

It can happen to any of us.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #4700
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
The bridge at Sabinas is up the rest of the road to Saltillo is a blast...even more fun if you take the libre let me know if you are going

View Larger Map
Thanks Bato. I know 57 is good. The road I am wondering about is MEX 40 from Monterrey to Saltillo. I heard it was washed out bad, both cuota and libre, but especially the libre. Haven't got dates set yet, was just talking to Chango about it yesterday.

I've taken 57 in three times before. It's a great road. The Zerrweck brothers are there in Monclova too and are the local motorcycle gods. I just like hanging out in Saltillo and some of the other towns like Parras, Cuatrocienegas, etc.

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 04:52 PM
Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #4701
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Thanks Bato. I know 57 is good. The road I am wondering about is MEX 40 from Monterrey to Saltillo. I heard it was washed out bad, both cuota and libre, but especially the libre. Haven't got dates set yet, was just talking to Chango about it yesterday.

I've taken 57 in three times before. It's a great road. The Zerrweck brothers are there in Monclova too and are the local motorcycle gods. I just like hanging out in Saltillo and some of the other towns like Parras, Cuatrocienegas, etc.
Where do you like to stay in Saltillo ?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #4702
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Could be wrong but, Legend has it that he might stay at a 200 year old Hacienda . Who knows?????
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #4703
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:

it is required by law in al Mexico, but there are many towns where Transitos (traffic police) just let it go.
Here in reynosa I have seen many transitos riding without helmet, and also I have never seen they pull over a biker (not even those without licence plate)

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #4704
WakeDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
The "top tips" I have gotten in regards to travel in Mexico have been...

1. No travelling at night (Animals, Road hazards and Bandidos)
2. Stay clear of large cities.
3. Don't dress flashy. (Might be a problem as my Rev'It gear is somewhat flashy)
4. Don't drink the water (beer tastes better anyways)
5. Go to Mexico, it is a blast...

Am I forgetting anything? I am planning a 3-month trip next year and the only country that is worrying me somewhat is Mexico, the rest of Central America seems tame in comparison. Also, I have been searching plenty but what is a good resource for paper maps in regards to MX/Baja and Central America? Thanks.

-Alex
WakeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #4705
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 958
Maps

For main land Mexico: I like the Guia Rojo, you can get them on line in english or spanish some of the larger stores in Mexico have them also, for Baja go with the Baja Almanac... the bible.......
The Guia Roja also covers Baja, but not to the extent the Almanac does...

Have fun....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González

going south screwed with this post 10-04-2011 at 02:25 PM
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #4706
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDude View Post

3. Don't dress flashy. (Might be a problem as my Rev'It gear is somewhat flashy)

Am I forgetting anything? I am planning a 3-month trip next year and the only country that is worrying me somewhat is Mexico, the rest of Central America seems tame in comparison. Also, I have been searching plenty but what is a good resource for paper maps in regards to MX/Baja and Central America? Thanks.

-Alex
C.A. way more dangerous than Mexico for the regular guy.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #4707
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
C.A. way more dangerous than Mexico for the regular guy.
That's what I was thinking.

Plus disagree with the "stay away from big cities" part.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #4708
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDude View Post

Point 1: Agreed.

Point 2: I might disagree with some of the guys here because many like to go to small towns but I personally enjoy nightclubs, industry, good food, and so forth. So there are some cities that I really enjoy: Monterrey, Reynosa, Mazatlan, etc. I also like the tourist area of Tijuana, tacky as it may be to some.

I think that most of us would say to be wary (or avoid completely) Juarez right now.

I personally would avoid New York City on a bike but the more that I hear about the DF (Mexico City) the more tempted I am to ride there sometime.

Anyway, my $.02 worth.

Point 3: Go ahead and wear your normal riding clothes; you can't hide the fact that you are a gringo moto tourist. But leave your Rolex and gold chains at home.

Point 4: The water in many Mexican cities is no worse than the water in many small south Texas towns; no one drinks that crap either. It's 2011 and the Mexican water stories are greatly overrated these days but I'd avoid drinking the tap water just the same.

Point 5: Bingo!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #4709
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post

It should be ok now the cuota I was there in December and they were cleaning it up already read and enjoyed your reports seems you have friends there ...My sister leaves there .

Quote:
John Wayne used to stay at EL HUZACHE

Bato screwed with this post 10-04-2011 at 04:05 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #4710
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
I like El Morillo. It's on the south side of the town. It used to be a hacienda. Some of the old buildings are still there, the chapel, etc. Very nice. Not expensive. I see they have redone their website. http://www.hotelsaltillo.com/

As you know there are many abandoned haciendas in Mexico. Ghost towns, not tourist attractions. They just sit out there rotting away. Makes for good adventure riding. Very good book on the hacienda and encomienda system in Mexico is http://www.amazon.com/Society-Coloni...7776542&sr=8-1 You can get a copy at the local library if they have inter-library loan. I've been doing a lot of personal research on that topic and also religious art. The Saltillo cathedral has one of the finest collections of religious art in the world. Much of the religious art of Mexico disappeared during the 1910 revolution, and more again during La Cristiada war.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote