ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #31
Luke wl.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
This is a great resource, thank you! I plan on using the Co portion to ride home (partially) from RMAR!

Ride report.

2005 XR650R
1968 Triumph Bobber
2008 Husqvarna cr125
Luke wl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #32
petdav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Thanks for the gps tracklog

Posted by petdav
Just returned from S-N ride on CDR and wanted to say thanks for posting such a great set of gps data for this route. Using my 276c, I lead a group of 6 and we were able to consistently rely on your tracklog and waypoints to guide us through - a huge benefit to anyone attempting this route. Thanks again for all the excellent work,
petdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #33
98Virago
98Virago

Oddometer: 91
Hi Cannonshot,

I need some help regarding GPS Routes/Tracks/Waypoints that I can download to my Garmin GPS 60CSx (I don't understand about gpx file but I know my GPS use gdb file instead).

I am planning to do the whole CDT starting on Aug 25 from Antelope NM to Montana. I only have couple more days to take-off and I am still strugling plotting my GPS routes/tracks. Please advice for an easy routes/tracks to enjoy.

Thanks for any help,
Gery

Ride Safe,
98Virago
98Virago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #34
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Virago View Post
Hi Cannonshot,

I need some help regarding GPS Routes/Tracks/Waypoints that I can download to my Garmin GPS 60CSx (I don't understand about gpx file but I know my GPS use gdb file instead).

I am planning to do the whole CDT starting on Aug 25 from Antelope NM to Montana. I only have couple more days to take-off and I am still strugling plotting my GPS routes/tracks. Please advice for an easy routes/tracks to enjoy.

Thanks for any help,
Gery
Download "GDR Cannon Loader R3.GPX" from here. Open the file with MapSource. From the top line menu select "Transfer" and "Send to Device". Map sure you have a background map of some sort. Sent the tracks and waypoints to the 60Csx.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #35
98Virago
98Virago

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Download "GDR Cannon Loader R3.GPX" from here. Open the file with MapSource. From the top line menu select "Transfer" and "Send to Device". Map sure you have a background map of some sort. Sent the tracks and waypoints to the 60Csx.

Goodmorning Cannonshot,

Thanks so much for all the help. You and Big Dog "Mark" are very helpful to me and made me very confident that I will be on the right tracks. You guys are awesome and wish I could meet you in personal someday....

Thanks again,
Gery

Ride Safe,
98Virago
Old 08-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #36
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:

Goodmorning Cannonshot,

Thanks so much for all the help. You and Big Dog "Mark" are very helpful to me and made me very confident that I will be on the right tracks. You guys are awesome and wish I could meet you in personal someday....

Thanks again,
Gery
We just want to see everyone get a chance to enjoy some of this stuff as much as we did. Have a great trip!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:09 AM   #37
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:

Goodmorning Cannonshot,

Thanks again,
Gery
Make sure you have installed your background maps correctly into your GPS. To check, do this:

Once you have transferred Cannshot's tracks, fire up your GPS instrument with the GPS off. From the menu go to tracks. You should see Cannonshot's route icons on the lower left of the screen. Scroll down the list until you find Track 1. Track 1 is the beginning of the route in Montana. Highlight it and hit 'enter'. Then select 'map' and hit enter. You should see the map screen come up with the tracks clearly marked. Now zoom in to see if your backround maps are working. You should eventually zoom in enough to see the road names. If they are there, you should be ready to ride.

I am using the route starting Sep 19 going south. I am also trying to learn how to use tracks before I go. I've gone over every inch of it on my laptop using my mapping software at .2 mile zoom. I think that excercise is helpful in better understanding the route details. I'll probably make a simple route sheet to mark off things like gas stops. Although, Cannonshot has done an excellent job of locating likely gas stops for my range.

Good luck and post your progress in ride reports.

Thanks again Cannonshot!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #38
98Virago
98Virago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Make sure you have installed your background maps correctly into your GPS. To check, do this:

Once you have transferred Cannshot's tracks, fire up your GPS instrument with the GPS off. From the menu go to tracks. You should see Cannonshot's route icons on the lower left of the screen. Scroll down the list until you find Track 1. Track 1 is the beginning of the route in Montana. Highlight it and hit 'enter'. Then select 'map' and hit enter. You should see the map screen come up with the tracks clearly marked. Now zoom in to see if your backround maps are working. You should eventually zoom in enough to see the road names. If they are there, you should be ready to ride.

I am using the route starting Sep 19 going south. I am also trying to learn how to use tracks before I go. I've gone over every inch of it on my laptop using my mapping software at .2 mile zoom. I think that excercise is helpful in better understanding the route details. I'll probably make a simple route sheet to mark off things like gas stops. Although, Cannonshot has done an excellent job of locating likely gas stops for my range.

Good luck and post your progress in ride reports.

Thanks again Cannonshot!
Thanks so much for all the tips. Cannonshot, BigDog, and some of our inmates are very helpful to me regarding GPS to keep me going. I will also try the tips you suggested to double check my actual GPS instrument to see if the Tracks are there. I admit that I still have to learn a lot about GPS mapping and be familiar how to use Tracks.

Thanks again to all,
Gery

Ride Safe,
98Virago
Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #39
MaxEpr
where'd who go???

Oddometer: 14
Thank You Cannonshot!

GIRD (Gulfstream Idiots Ride the Divide)

Thank you Cannonshot for your effort in creating the Great Divide trax, ride reports and photos. We Hugerush (2010 KTM990) and I Maxepr ( 2009 KLR650) just completed the Great Divide 08 08 2011 at Rooseville, MT. to Antelope Wells, NM. We met several people along the route Riders and People that knew about the Great Divide route. Your way points were fantastic and saved our bacon with gas and camp sites several times. The route was pretty uneventful except in New Mexico with the monsoons and calitche mud. The rains start about 14:00 (it actually came early 13:47 on 08 17 2011 to CR42) we were 7 miles from making Hwy 117 while on Chain of Craters Byway (a.k.a. CR42) and got stuck in the calitche mud. A sheriff and a SP were actually out there looking for someone that night in a 4x4 and determined the road was washed out about 2 miles from hwy 117. The stuff is so sticky they should build houses out of the stuff. It dried out enough the next day and we back tracked the 50 miles back to Grant. I was never so happy to see dust off the rear wheel.

As well as the thanks to Cannonshot I'd like to "shout out to the DRZ400 we passed headed North 320 miles out of Roosville, MT.
Pair of KTM690s with TourTech aluminum bags. They looked too clean to be riding the divide.
Air Canada team Tim DR650 and John KLR650 met at Fleecer Ridge
Miscelanious riders that we passed
For BMWBOV John in Silver City the "Dog Lady" wanted us to let you know we went the whole distance from border to border staying as true to the line as possible.

I can't say enough good about Performance Cycle of Denver!!!! The Continental TKC80 130-80-17 rear was disapearing fast. It was new in Denver - Roosville - at about 2500 miles and it was Saturday at 16:50 and I called Bernadette (aka Bernie) and she hooked me up by placing the tire where a friend could retrieve it after they closed. a friend drove it from denver to kremmling and I carried the new one as a spare from Kremmling, CO to Antelope and back to Denver. but it was nice to have it. The TKC made the trip I'll post pictures. The point is I'll use Performance Cycle of Denver every chance I get they're great!

Equipment: used a Garmin Zumo 665 It will show a track that can be followed. I downloaded and loaded Cannonshots trax using Mapsource. The XM radio and weather was freekin awsome!! I colored the line flourecent green it seemed to show up well in day and night. I have to read the screen cleening instructions I'm certain I did it wrong the whole 2 weeks. If anyone has questions I'm no expert but could walk you through it. The thing also leaves a route or track on the screen if you set it up to. I'm going to try to down load my little trail to a computer file for prosperity. All in all it went well. New Mexico was open from the fires and no one hassled us going on the trail. We talked to someone that got turned back.

Good luck to all the other Inmates on the GDR!!
MaxEpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #40
srileo
dot Indian snakecharmer

Oddometer: 892
Another shout out to Cannonshot for his fantastic tracks that he shared. I initially thought i'd get by with just the bicycle maps and proceeded to do so. Within a few hours it was painfully apparent that riding a bike offroad and reading fine print on a map are best not done at the same time. Shifted to the GPS the next day and boy was it smooth sailing!

The tracks are very succint, with ALL the info that the bicycle maps have, including calling out the tougher sections. After a few days, i just used the bicycle maps for the area history and general reference, relying on the cannonshot tracks for gas info as well.

There was only one place near the WY/ID border where i experienced a closed gate, but it was ridiculously easy to get around. I met one rider on a bmw800GS going s-to-n, and a pair of older riders BMW riders together.

In the spirit of cannonshot's help, i pledge a ride report that will help other riders out, that i will share shortly.

Shridhar
Old 09-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #41
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,112
Hi Cannonshot!
My name is Jack.
I have been digging around for several days in hopes of gleaning the knowledge needed to do the CD ride next summer. ! you are by far the most prolific and helpful THANK YOU! :) You have inspired a great deal of confidence.
I haven't been able to find an earliest/latest ballpark date for starting/finishing with a reasonable amount of confidence that the passes will be clear(esque) of snow.

PS I have been enjoying your other ride reports as well! So much fun! Thanks for the documentation.
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:22 AM   #42
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Learing the 60Csx on the Fly...Using RoadTrip for Mac

I just finished Cannoshot's CDR. It was fantastic, with no missed turns at all!

For those of you new using tracks with the 60 series Garmin, here are a few clues:

1. Make sure your laptop loads up the appropriate maps that coincide with the tracks you transferred. It should be automatic during the data transfer, but I had to do it twice to get the maps. The transfer process will prompt you to have the appropriate maps loaded so you know you got them.

2. After transferring Cannoshot's tracks to your 60, you should see his data on the 'Tracks' page (keyed from the primary menu). Cannonshot's tracks are numbered 'Track 1', 'Track 2' etc. There is a lot of stuff there so you have to scroll down to find the Tracks. I wanted to highlight each one and study it to insure I had everything. However, I found I couldn't highight and check each track because I think there was too much data for the storage capacity of my 60. In fact, it wouldn't even scroll past Track 7, so I eliminated everything but the tracks and gas stops I wanted for my ride. That freed up memory space so I could highlight each track and study the section in the comfort of my condo with the GPS satellite search turned off.

With the GPS off, I zoomed in on the track selected for study and made sure the underlying roads were named. This occurred at 800' zoom. At the time I thought that this mode was what I would be following during the actual ride.

I started out riding with the GPS in that mode at Union Pass Road and it worked, but the map would not 'track-up'. That made following the tracks hard and slow. Not only because I had to do a mental backflip to figure a right or left turn, but because at 800' you out ride the map page pretty fast!

By the end of the second day I realized that I was making this ride too hard and dangerous, for fear of running off the road trying to read that screen. Something was amiss. I kept fiddling with it and fortunately, discovered that a) the entire track was laying right there on my standard 'Map' page. and b) the standard 'Map' page had the proper 'track-up' orientation. Suddenly, riding the tracks was as simple as it can get! I didn't even have to zoom in much because the arrow would clearly leave the breadcrumb trail when I missed a turn. Viola!

How could I have been so stupid for so long? All I had to do was page over to 'Map' when I was near the course and there everything was plain as day. The Tracks page isn't used for riding at all!

I'm still learning, but think the 'Tracks' mode selected from the main menu is simply for finding the desired saved route from a collection, or modifying one. In the Tracks mode, the screen is always oriented Track-North.

Another thing I learned is if I 'panned' on my standard Map page to see what's ahead, the device would automatically change orientation mode to Track-North. To get back to Track-Up, I simply had to tap the Page button through all the page options until the Map page came up again. Presto...it was back on Track-Up.

Cannoshot advised me last spring to just try a few trips with my new 60 and it would become more obvious. Sadly, I only tried one trip and all I did was ride to a location and use the 'backtrack' feature to see what tracks looked like. As a result, it took a couple days on the CDR before the Garmin's mysteries revealed themselves to me. Once they did, I got handy enough to manipulated the thing on the fly. I see now why so many inmates use these things. They are not as simple as an auto-routing street device, but they are still pretty simple to use, and the easiest way to follow a route along paths or roads not on most published maps.

My next challenge is to learn how to make my own Tracks and configure them for sharing.

Thanks Cannonshot!

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #43
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
2. After transferring Cannoshot's tracks to your 60, you should see his data on the 'Tracks' page (keyed from the primary menu). Cannonshot's tracks are numbered 'Track 1', 'Track 2' etc. There is a lot of stuff there so you have to scroll down to find the Tracks. I wanted to highlight each one and study it to insure I had everything. However, I found I couldn't highight and check each track because I think there was too much data for the storage capacity of my 60. In fact, it wouldn't even scroll past Track 7, so I eliminated everything but the tracks and gas stops I wanted for my ride. That freed up memory space so I could highlight each track and study the section in the comfort of my condo with the GPS satellite search turned off.

Hi Pantah! Glad you had a great ride and that the track file proved useful.

You shouldn't have had any problem loading the file with regard to the unit's memory. The GPX itself is less than 200 KB.

Since there are 665 waypoints and 20 tracks in the file, it is important to clear out all saved tracks and maybe even all saved waypoints before loading the file to make sure that the capacity for tracks and waypoints are not exceeded. I think the 60 series runs 1000 waypoints and 20 tracks max.

The maps I selected for the ride (including Canada) using Topo come up to about 1.2 MB.

Hope this clears up that issue.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #44
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
congratulations on your ride and GPS experience.

I just knew you were on the wrong map page when you started describing your panning problems. Glad you figured it out okay. I went thru the same angst a couple of times.

I think my 60 csx will only take 500 waypoints. I know it will only do 20 tracks at 500 points apiece.

I used to create tracks using Delorme software. It has commands to create track from a route. But it is tedious going back and forth, especially if you are changing your trip a lot during the planning stage.

Now I just create a route in Mapsource and manually draw the tracks using the track tool. Once they are drawn they are ready to share. This is also a bit tedious, but it goes fast and is a good way to spend a cold winter day.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #45
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I think my 60 csx will only take 500 waypoints. I know it will only do 20 tracks at 500 points apiece.
Just so there is no confusion about loading the file that contains 665 waypoints . . .

Waypoints/favorites/locations: 1000
Routes: 50
Track log: 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks

As I mentioned, you will likely want to make sure you cleared all waypoints and tracks from your unit before loading up for a trip.