Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #55111
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoganya View Post
Is there any recommended interval to change (not just clean) the air filter on a 2005 DR650SE? I have 22,000 miles now and I'm not sure if the previous owner has ever changed the filter.

Any recommendations for 90% street 10% dirt?
Replace when it starts falling apart.

Any filter will do but I really like the TwinAir.

I alternate between a stock 2001 and TwinAir filters.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #55112
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Both seats get good reviews here on this thread. I have a Corbin and it's good ... but I have no doubt the Sargent is probably just as good. Comfort and ergos are subjective. I'd ride a couple bikes with these seats and decide.
Maybe someone on here has the same dimensions as me, I'm 5'8" 180 lbs, 30" inseam... There aren't many dr650's around these parts to go test seats :(
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #55113
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Maybe someone on here has the same dimensions as me, I'm 5'8" 180 lbs, 30" inseam... There aren't many dr650's around these parts to go test seats :(
I believe the sergeant can come lowered 1 inch. This might be good for you.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #55114
SprintST
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
Maybe right. Case armor (which is sweet stuff), skid plate and spare shifter lever (which I always carry). All total about $180 from procycle. I don't know. The TCI thing may be the way to go, just seems a little high when you can get good protection and can include spares of stuff and still save $75
My DR has a really poor sense of balance and seems to lie down at the most inopportune times. It also has a serious case of overkill on case protection. My thinking is that if my bike lies down and the case gets pierced in the middle of nowhere the $75 savings would be of little consequence.

I first ordered and installed ignition, clutch and oil filter guards from Perry Gray only to find out that the Scorpion skid plate (with protective wings) that I'd also ordered to round out the protection package was no longer available for the DR. I settled on the TCI set-up because I like the side guards and I'm hoping to use them to mount up some highway pegs. After a quick look I'm thinking that moving the passenger pegs/bracket might even be a viable option.

The TCI engine guards got tested the other day when the bike tipped over in the driveway while I was working on it. The guard was scratched up at point of impact but that's it. I'm satisfied. TCI make a quality product. Expensive, but good stuff that bolts right on. It's just one of those things that I was willing to spend a bit extra on. I'll scrimp elsewhere so it all works out in the end.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #55115
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Tried putting on my supermoto wheels last night, is there a trick of getting the darn front caliper inside the wheel!?? I'm using the EBC 320mm rotor kit with adapter which is mounted on the fork, but it's almost like I can't fit the caliper between the rim and rotor when I try to put the wheel on.
when i was mad about motards i ended up opting for 310mm discs where possible. no noticeable difference in braking power but that 5mm less radius made getting the caliper on a breeze. not much help on a DR650 as i think only the 320mm disc is available, but 310mm discs and caliper adapters are readily available for KTMs, drz400, wr450/250 etc.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #55116
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
i'm the same size, 5'9 on a good day though, and i love my Seat Concepts seat! i commute every day (except for yesterday & today due to rain.. :( ) and i love it. no longer does my rear ache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Replace when it starts falling apart...
i agree, but i'd add that the poster should check the condition of the stock filter. mine has shrunk and was lifting at the far corner letting dirt by. i added some wire around the filter foam to hold it to the inner support to keep it from pulling away and not sealing.

i think it shrinks a little with age, like me.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #55117
nzrian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317851500.883909.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  52.3 KB
Hello all, I was doing the nsu check last night on my 2009 dr650 with 4000 km, and found that the bolts were Allen head from factory
Not sure if this has been brought up before should make checking a lot easier
Old 10-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #55118
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
After picking my DR up a week or five back my friends been so impressed he's been on the look out for one !!! anyway he got one 1996 with 38k km on the clock for 1200 and in mint condition.................just one small problem at very low speed it's a little lumpy !!! feels like it's lacking gas !!! Any ideas ??????
Cheers Phil
Old 10-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #55119
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
After picking my DR up a week or five back my friends been so impressed he's been on the look out for one !!! anyway he got one 1996 with 38k km on the clock for 1200 and in mint condition.................just one small problem at very low speed it's a little lumpy !!! feels like it's lacking gas !!! Any ideas ??????
Cheers Phil
The tiny filter that's in the fuel inlet. You have to pull the gasline off the carb to find it. It's inside the brass inlet. Pull it out and clean it. I tossed mine out and put an inline filter in the fuel line.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #55120
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:

Well, I am 5' 8", but more in the 215lb range . I have the Corbin seat and love it. I couldn't ride the stocker for more then 40-50 miles at a time. The Corbin I can go till the gas runs out. It is narrow in the front for standing then wider in the back for comfort. I have stiff springs on mine so even with my weight the bike doesn't sag much when I sit on it. I can't flat foot...but it doesn't bother me.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #55121
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
The tiny filter that's in the fuel inlet. You have to pull the gasline off the carb to find it. It's inside the brass inlet. Pull it out and clean it. I tossed mine out and put an inline filter in the fuel line.
Thumbs up on getting rid of the tiny filter in the carb inlet. I also put me a in line filter in.
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #55122
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Corbin or Sargent for on-road only?
the first one that comes up used for a good deal. if you go w/a corbin, be sure it fits your tank; the sargent is supposed to fit any tank. another option would be to get a seat concepts or procycle kit to refurb the stock seat; awailable from procycle.com

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #55123
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
the first one that comes up used for a good deal. if you go w/a corbin, be sure it fits your tank; the sargent is supposed to fit any tank. another option would be to get a seat concepts or procycle kit to refurb the stock seat; awailable from procycle.com

doug s.

If you have the duckets you can send your seat in to procycle and get $75 towards another seat. All they are doing is refabbing your seat when you send it back and reselling it. They will give you a credit towards another for yours.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #55124
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Has anyone used TCI Products skid plate? I like the side engine guards.

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=569

Has it held up good? Is it easy to R&R? Worth the money?
Have not seen/used one in person but my only concern would be if an otherwise simple slide/impact would bend the mounting tabs and generate a single impact point directly into the side case? Otherwise they look very stout and BMWish.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #55125
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKul View Post
Have not seen/used one in person but my only concern would be if an otherwise simple slide/impact would bend the mounting tabs and generate a single impact point directly into the side case? Otherwise they look very stout and BMWish.
you still need case armor, at least on the left side; imo - nothing to stop the gear shift lever from hitting the case... my bike is street only; i need to get some case armor...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote