Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #196
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Great sale going on at Woodstock Soapstone... The stove I have, pictured above is nearly $1,000 of what I paid...

http://www.woodstove.com/home

Open house this weekend at their factory & showroom too if you are up in the Dartmouth, Lake Sunapee Region... Door prizes

Did I mention no sales tax in NH...
Just got back from the open house. They've got great prices on everything right now, and they've got dozens of stoves sitting out back so you can pick your color and soapstone out. The soapstone ranges from near solid colors to marbled.

We were thinking Fireview up until the fellow at the store talked us out of it and decided on the Keystone. The Fireview might be a bit too big for the area we're looking to heat- especially considering how energy efficient the house is expected to be. It's also compatible for a fresh air intake, which is imperative for us.

Unfortunately they won't store it for us till spring but they did tell us that they're also running a sale in the spring, but it won't be nearly the same discount (he estimated about $400 off, compared to nearly a grand now). We've got 2 options for winter storage (three if you count A-bone's garage) and are trying to decide which option is easier. Option A is 2 hours away at family's house where they have a front end loader to load and unload the thing out of my truck. Option B is right in town, but no easy way to loan and unload. Option C is pay more money in the spring and only move the thing once. This current sale is going for another month so we have time to figure it out. At least we've picked out a model and color!

Got a free t-shirt out of it, hot cider, and entered to win a free stove- so we'll see.

Edit- hopped on the bike to take a spin. First it wouldn't start, then after some time on the charger the headlights are NFG. So, I guess I don't get to enjoy this wonderful riding weather. I'll go off to buy new bulbs and hope that that's my only problem.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #197
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,464
I could store it at my shop in Weare.. I have a forklift and all and can park it up high... it is cool out there, but never below 60degrees... you would just have to get it to the shop...

lemme know... these sales are pretty good...

that is sweet it accepts fresh air.. that has always been something that I wanted to do so you aren't making up the combustion air with air from the house...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #198
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
I could store it at my shop in Weare.. I have a forklift and all and can park it up high... it is cool out there, but never below 60degrees... you would just have to get it to the shop...

lemme know... these sales are pretty good...

that is sweet it accepts fresh air.. that has always been something that I wanted to do so you aren't making up the combustion air with air from the house...
wow, dude! Thanks for the offer- we'll keep it in mind!

They sell a fresh air intake for your stove. I can't remember if you have easy access to outside air or not... but lemme know if you're up for the project. I'd be happy to pick one up for you on my way home from work to save you the trip- and I'll help you install it too!

If you make it to Octoberfest tomorrow just give my cell phone a ring and we'll meet up!
Old 10-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #199
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
First fire in the big stove tonight!!!!

Wooooo..whoooooooo!!!..

Getting to heating season....

Been running the little stove a night here and there to get the chill out.... but it is good to get the big one fired up for the first time of the year.... Kinda like firing up a big tractor that has been sitting all winter.... not sure how it is going to go... it has to burn off any humidity that has been collecting and first fire always smells different.....

Two hours in... and running great..... needs a good cleaning before the real season gets underway... but the new metallic catalytic converter that replaced the ceramic one cleaned up nice with a little compressed air (which is strictly prohibited with ceramics) and is running like a charm..

Six cords are stacked.... Ready to rock and roll......
I also run the Fireview. I may be in for another new cat this season. What is the deal with the metallic cat?
The only problem with the fireview is it will only take a 16" log

ill burn about 8 cords on a good winter and I dont even turn on the heat on upstairs
Old 10-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #200
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Iron View Post
I also run the Fireview. I may be in for another new cat this season. What is the deal with the metallic cat?
The only problem with the fireview is it will only take a 16" log

ill burn about 8 cords on a good winter and I dont even turn on the heat on upstairs
I don't know the particulars, but I am guessing they went to the metal design for better durability... the honey-comb shaped ceramic that 'hosts' the actual materials that create the secondary burn degrage with use... and also collect ash and eventually get plugged up... you can clean them, but you have to be careful and I found that they are so brittle that after a while you almost can't clean them because they just crumble...

This new one is great... just take it out to the shop and hit it lightly with some compressed air... I want to say you can wash it too... but I just used air and that seems to keep it nice and clean...

Now I don't know how they compare as far as effectiveness, but once I started using the new one the stove ran quite a bit better, but that is because the ceramic one I replace had some good miles on it....

I'll see if I can find some pictures of the ceramic cat just prior to the change out...

8 Cordss... damn, that's a lot of wood.... and in North Jersey....Is it that cold down there??
Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #201
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,014
I get 8 cords ready and burn 4 to 6 and have about 2 left for the next year.
Most the wood I burn is on the smaller size. Oak ,maple, ash, birch.
My stove is 10 years old and the second Cat is done. Ill need a new one this year. They state that big tempture swings cause them to crack Ie a hot fire then add wood that may be wet or have snow on it can cause a swift drop in cat temp and cause cracking.
Id would like to see the new cat design.

Yellow Iron screwed with this post 10-09-2011 at 07:59 AM
Yellow Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #202
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Just got back from Woodstock Soapstone!

Bought a Keystone stove in charcoal. They had a couple sitting there with different variations of soapstone in them. All of them looked pretty nice to me but my wife picked one with lighter marbling. I feel dumb for not bringing along a camera- because after today it's going to sit on a pallet in shrink wrap for a minimum of six months. I promise a picture once it's installed in our brand new house! $900 off- what a steal! I saw a used Vermont Castings stove in the paper today for $500 more than what we just paid!

Another thanks to A-bone for mentioning the huge sale and offering storage. I definitely owe you a bottle of something nice. (Or maybe movie tickets at Dartmouth?) We actually are going to store it here in town. Another friend of ours actually works for a stove place and can get a hold of all the cool stuff they use to move them around.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #203
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Nice dude...

Congratulations.....

Can't wait to see it in the new house..... which I also can't wait to see....

Beers....mkay... Hockey season is comming right up at Dartmouth...
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #204
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,637
Lit the Defiant two days ago and the house is still warm...OK just kidding, but I did light a 3 piece fire and it's just so fast and warm.

Waiting for it to get colder and need it every morning. Not yet, but soon.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #205
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Hey Adam, is that stove for your current house or new house? When it comes time to move it, and you need some equipment, I have a bucket truck that has hoisted wood stoves before.

I miss wood heat. I never ended up finishing the refurb of that soapstone wood stove I was working on, since it required a bunch of new parts, and it got really cold in the workshop (oh the irony ), but we did use the fireplace quite a bit. The next place will need to have wood heat provisions.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #206
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
Hey Adam, is that stove for your current house or new house? When it comes time to move it, and you need some equipment, I have a bucket truck that has hoisted wood stoves before.

I miss wood heat. I never ended up finishing the refurb of that soapstone wood stove I was working on, since it required a bunch of new parts, and it got really cold in the workshop (oh the irony ), but we did use the fireplace quite a bit. The next place will need to have wood heat provisions.
Unfortunately my wife and I are living in an apartment building right now. (God I fucking hate neighbors) Our landlord would be really pissed if we installed this stove in the apartment.

Bucket truck, eh? Don't think I need it to move the stove, but....
Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #207
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Unfortunately my wife and I are living in an apartment building right now. (God I fucking hate neighbors) Our landlord would be really pissed if we installed this stove in the apartment.

Bucket truck, eh? Don't think I need it to move the stove, but....
Yup. F-350 diesel with a 32' altec boom. It comes in handy now and then. It is in the body shop right now, but should come out looking like a brand new... 1990 F-350 .

Neighbors aren't all that bad. I am trying to tap the 30-something year old mom next door. She will succumb to my charms one of these days.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #208
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,637
Colder weather is coming here. Lit the stove this AM again. 3 sticks was all we needed. Laid another for tomorrow cause at 8 pm it was 32 degrees outside, and the sky is completely clear, so the temps are going to drop a bit more. I love wood burning season.

One nice thing about a small house is we don't need much heat after mid day, so I get ready the night before with a one match fire - get up in AM, light the stove and get the coffee machine going, by the time the coffee is brewing, the stove doors can be shut and by the time the first cup of coffee, it's warming up fast.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #209
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,838
Drying out the masonry heaters today.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #210
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
Drying out the masonry heaters today.
Bitchin...

'HeaterS' as in more than one??

Is it residential or commercial building/lodge etc?... got some more pics??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: