ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #40606
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,459
Long time no post...

It really has been a shame the weather being so perfect for riding just as I'm starting to feel good enough to take advantage of it, and I'm busy at an out of town wedding or Cyberknife treatment preparation at St Anns to remove my last 2 remaining tumors.

Oh well, gotta have priorities, and I'm pretty sure the wife won't let me put riding ahead of treatment or my nieces wedding.

Fall isn't over yet. I'm still going to make it out there.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 AM   #40607
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchester View Post
It really has been a shame the weather being so perfect for riding just as I'm starting to feel good enough to take advantage of it, and I'm busy at an out of town wedding or Cyberknife treatment preparation at St Anns to remove my last 2 remaining tumors.

Oh well, gotta have priorities, and I'm pretty sure the wife won't let me put riding ahead of treatment or my nieces wedding.

Fall isn't over yet. I'm still going to make it out there.

Let me know if you go ridin'.... I'm going with!

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #40608
r-3350
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Year arround deer season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagny_Taggart View Post
I am a live and let live person, except that I strongly feel that

The deer must die!

I would extend hunting season to 365 days a year.

Sorry about the 'zuki, Craig.
Those lousy deer will run into anything. I have seen an accident report where a deer had run into a landing airplane. I once saw an airlpane that had deer whistles installed on its landing gear. Carl
r-3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #40609
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2014

Oddometer: 820
Couple of years ago, a bizjet landing at a "short" WVA field hit a couple on landing and ended up off the runway. I don't think anyone was injured but I felt sorry for the mechanic that was gong to have to clean that up. Happened at night.

I reported deer to the tower once and got the "Roger, Ya'll be careful now, ya hear?"

The funniest deer collision is still Swingset's "There I was stopped at a stop sign and a deer runs flat dab into me." Stupid things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-3350 View Post
Those lousy deer will run into anything. I have seen an accident report where a deer had run into a landing airplane. I once saw an airlpane that had deer whistles installed on its landing gear. Carl
Old 10-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #40610
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,321
I had the Tengai in the truck bringing it home Saturday night. I was on 586 south of Mt. Vernon about an hour after sunset. A small deer ran out and I thought I was going to run it over, but it hesitated then ran into my front driver's side wheel. It doesn't look like any real damage, just a little fur and a few places where the road grime was wiped away. Scared the crap out of me.

I hate the things!

I have several hundred apple trees at my farm & they are a huge problem. Seems like all the hunters want trophy deer.....I want them thinned out....all of them.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #40611
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,661
deer

Once on the TAT,I had a deer jump and land in my lap on the KLR at about 30mph......to this day I don`t know how I kept from crashing!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #40612
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Laugh

SCQTT sez:

"Seems like all the hunters want trophy deer....."

Group I hunt with has a simple rule when it comes to deer hunting....if it is brown, it is down

One of the farms I hunt (which is owned by a distant relative) has a simple rule...if you are a trophy hunter and allow a doe to run by you, you lose hunting privileges on the spot....he doesn't care about the bucks, he wants the doe's eliminated!

Almost hated to face him a few years ago when 2 of us shot 2 bucks that ran out of the woods....but since we didn't see any doe's, he gave us a pass on the ban.....Guess we have removed enough doe's we are allowed one mistake
Old 10-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #40613
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
I have several hundred apple trees at my farm & they are a huge problem. Seems like all the hunters want trophy deer.....I want them thinned out....all of them.

You can get a nuisance deer permit to kill a lot of them, certain criteria need to be met, but having an orchard / financial hardship from crop loss should fit the bill.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #40614
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2014

Oddometer: 820
Check your local airport - they have to control critters on the runway so they will "check you out" but you may be able to bag all you want.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #40615
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
You can get a nuisance deer permit to kill a lot of them, certain criteria need to be met, but having an orchard / financial hardship from crop loss should fit the bill.
I wonder if hitting a dozen with cars in your lifetime qualifies as a hardship. It certainly seems so to me.

I should be allowed to kill deer anywhere, any time. With machine guns, and bombs, and just because.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #40616
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
I wonder if hitting a dozen with cars in your lifetime qualifies as a hardship. It certainly seems so to me.

I should be allowed to kill deer anywhere, any time. With machine guns, and bombs, and just because.
Sounds like your already "drive hunting" them all.

2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #40617
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,054
Deer and I have a love/hate relationship, they love to scare the crap out of me and I hate it when they do it.

The closest in a vehicle was when one used his/her ass to clean all the road grime off the passenger side. It was nice enough to leave the mirror on my truck and no fur,blood or dents, just less dirt to wash off.

On the bike it's been the same. While I rarely see them in the truck or car, I see them about every 5 rides or so. Luckily during the daylight hours I get a good heads up notice by seeing them early but at night I've been caught off guard twice. Both times were in blind spots, both times I was going a bit fast and both times both deer were in my lane. The 1st instance they wre trying to retreat on a blind hill. Deer 1 was on the double yellow and 2 was on the shoulder, I couldn't stop so I aimed between them and made it. The second time was in a corner, deer 1 was crossing the yellow and 2 was crossing the white. My bark buster almost cold cocked the one on the side of the road and I just missed the ass of the one crossing the center.

Like the viral video going around right now , they'll take a bicyclist down too. While pedaling the ANF one year I saw a blur and shadow as a deer jumped off an embankment over the road and my head and down the slope on the other side. A gent in Gatlinbugr years ago had a buck plow him over and was DOA. A guy I ride with on occasion was barreling down a hill in the Cuyahoga Valley and hit one head on while pedaling at 40+ fracturing his skull in multiple places.

Deer whistles on my Transalp always seem to piss the dogs off so I took them back off since the dog run ins were outnumbering the deer.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #40618
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Like the viral video going around right now , they'll take a bicyclist down too.
In that case, it looked like he was attacked. I'd link the vid, but the corporate overlords don't allow access to Youtube.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #40619
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post

I could care less about trophy deer. If you are looking for someone to come out and relieve you of a few 'regular' deer, let me know.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #40620
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,321
For the guys (& gals) that deer hunt. My place in not that big, but it is a hot spot for traveling deer. Not certain if I'd travel across the state to hunt there, but if you're local you might give it a shot. I only have about 5 acres of big woods, but it backs up to about 80 (some of those land owners are OK, some are not)

No one has been in my woods for bow season, but I do have a few of my dad's old friends coming for the start of gun season.

If you are interested email me at SCQTT@yahoo.com & I will let you know when no one is scheduled to be there.

Really easy place to get around and there are two "deer houses" to hunt from. Great place to hunt with a kid.

Spring turkey season? forget it.....those are mine!