Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #241
SMJunkie990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thanks ktmMIKE for the info thats what i will start doing.
SMJunkie990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #242
imxz28
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Is everyone out riding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxz28 View Post
I currently own a 2006 carb version and love this bike. I also have a ZX12R but have more fun on the 950.
On to my questions in order of importance.

1. What is the difference between the 2010 and 2011 990 SMR? See, I can get a dealer hold over 2010 for well over $1k less than 2011 but I'd really like to know what I'd be missing 2010 vs 2011 ??

2. I really do love the White tank with Orange frame so much better than the 2006. The new ones look freaking awesome and I want one bad. The question here is: Coming off a 2006, do you think I'd be impressed with the 2010/11 performance wise? I already know the basics - bigger CC, FI, forged wheels, and 17 hp more. At 17% more power, that should be a SOP you can really feel? However, keeping it real, it looks like the same frame and over all geometry is not much different. I suspect the bike will FEEL much like my 2006 ?
Talk to me PLEASE!!

Kind regards,
Clark

I kind of thought I would get a little more feedback from here... Is everyone on the road?
imxz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #243
shooter450
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I am so glad I found this thread. I have a '10 SMR. got he first one at the dealership last year. I love it!!!! can I say it again, I love IT!! I sold my gixer for this and am sooo glad I did. this bike is awesome. I have put 13000 miles on it in the last 18 months. The bike is bone stock, except I put a throttle tamer on it to smooth out the jerky on/off throttle in town. It helped a lot, but did not eliminate it. It is more manageable around town now. I also did the wire clip mod to open it up. I like that too. I can pull 2nd and 3rd gear power wheelies, no clutch at all.

What kinda mileage are you guys getting out of tires?? I am chewing them up! I get on average about 1600 to 1800 miles per set. I ride aggressively and fast on back roads and canyons. It is getting expensive. I run mostly pirella's, but have also tried dunlop's.

I have also played with the suspension and can not sort it out. I run the "sport" settings and have played with them quite a bit. Nothing seems to help with the tire wear. I was running 40mm of sag and that made the susp really stiff and a bit harsh on the goaty roads. The factory recommends 50mm of sag, that did not help, but made the bike more compliant over the goaty stuff. I heard a suggestion of dropping the forks 1/2 inch in triple tree to change geometry to make is steer better? Has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Has anyone re-sprung the rear shock? if so, were did you get it and did you like it?

The one thing I can not adjust out, is a slight high speed wobble over bumps. It feels like the front and back are not working in sink. I too was told I should re .-spring the bike for my weight -- 220 without gear. But Man do I love this bike. It is sooo easy to ride fast. It takes less effort to ride hard and fast compared to my old gixer. You gota love the upright riding position. I will never go back to a crotch rocket again.
Attached Images

shooter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #244
SMJunkie990
Adventurer

Hi shooter 450,

If you don't mind could you tell me what the wire clip mod is. Also what brand of throotle tamer did you use, was it the G2? thanks.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #245
CaptainFresca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter450 View Post
I am so glad I found this thread. I have a '10 SMR. got he first one at the dealership last year. I love it!!!! can I say it again, I love IT!! I sold my gixer for this and am sooo glad I did. this bike is awesome. I have put 13000 miles on it in the last 18 months. The bike is bone stock, except I put a throttle tamer on it to smooth out the jerky on/off throttle in town. It helped a lot, but did not eliminate it. It is more manageable around town now. I also did the wire clip mod to open it up. I like that too. I can pull 2nd and 3rd gear power wheelies, no clutch at all.

What kinda mileage are you guys getting out of tires?? I am chewing them up! I get on average about 1600 to 1800 miles per set. I ride aggressively and fast on back roads and canyons. It is getting expensive. I run mostly pirella's, but have also tried dunlop's.

I have also played with the suspension and can not sort it out. I run the "sport" settings and have played with them quite a bit. Nothing seems to help with the tire wear. I was running 40mm of sag and that made the susp really stiff and a bit harsh on the goaty roads. The factory recommends 50mm of sag, that did not help, but made the bike more compliant over the goaty stuff. I heard a suggestion of dropping the forks 1/2 inch in triple tree to change geometry to make is steer better? Has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Has anyone re-sprung the rear shock? if so, were did you get it and did you like it?

The one thing I can not adjust out, is a slight high speed wobble over bumps. It feels like the front and back are not working in sink. I too was told I should re .-spring the bike for my weight -- 220 without gear. But Man do I love this bike. It is sooo easy to ride fast. It takes less effort to ride hard and fast compared to my old gixer. You gota love the upright riding position. I will never go back to a crotch rocket again.
Man that is an awesome looking bike! At least you're having fun wearing out those tires.
CaptainFresca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #246
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by imxz28 View Post
I kind of thought I would get a little more feedback from here... Is everyone on the road?
I don't know anyone who has owned both, IMX.

I had two 950's but they were both Adventures.
The 990 SM-R is lighter, more powerful, handles way better on the road, and isn't a big painintheass to do the maintenance work on.

ktmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #247
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Hi Shooter,

Quote:

I got 1106 miles out of the stock rear tire, and 1779 out of the front.
Michelin Pilot Power gets me about the same on the rear, and a little more on the front.
We have only extremely twisty roads here, so the sides are gone first.

I heard a suggestion of dropping the forks 1/2 inch in triple tree to change geometry to make is steer better? Has anyone heard of this or tried it?
Yes, I use it, but not that big a jump, and for a different reason apparently.
(. . . and you probably mean dropping the yokes, not the fork tubes, btw)
I measure the circumference of all my new tires, so I can figure the radius,
and know what a different tire brand is doing to my steering geometry.
For instance:
The radius of a Michelin Pilot Power rear is 6mm shorter than the stock tire, and the front is 1mm taller than stock.
So I adjust my yokes accordingly to maintain the perfect balance that the bike came with.

Also, those stock springs are perfect for me and I weigh 160 lbs.
You might want to think about springing both ends of the bike for your body weight
BEFORE you try all kinds of adjustments.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=730369&page=6

ktmMike screwed with this post 10-10-2011 at 03:38 PM
Old 10-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #248
k1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMJunkie990 View Post
Hi shooter 450,

If you don't mind could you tell me what the wire clip mod is. Also what brand of throotle tamer did you use, was it the G2? thanks.
The 990's have a Electronic Power Control which reduces HP & Torque in 2nd & 3rd gears. Basically you do not have full power in those gears no matter how much you turn the throttle. The modification is simple and easy and can be done 1 of 2 ways.

Option 1: Use TuneECU or similar program and disable it in the ECU

Option 2: Unplug the 2 wires that tell the ECU that you are in 2nd or 3rd gear. I recommend unplugging them and taping them back so that you can put it back to stock later if you need/want to.

(Note: these are borrowed pictures....)

The connector where the 2 wires are located

The 2 wires to remove (test to verify yours is the same. I think mine were different colors) The last wire in the connector is for neutral. So if your neutral light is not on when you are in neutral, then you disconnected the wrong wire.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #249
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Thanx for posting that how-to K1973.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1973 View Post
The 990's have a Electronic Power Control which reduces HP & Torque in 2nd & 3rd gears. Basically you do not have full power in those gears no matter how much you turn the throttle. The modification is simple and easy and can be done 1 of 2 ways.

Option 1: Use TuneECU or similar program and disable it in the ECU

Option 2: Unplug the 2 wires that tell the ECU that you are in 2nd or 3rd gear. I recommend unplugging them and taping them back so that you can put it back to stock later if you need/want to.

(Note: these are borrowed pictures....)

The connector where the 2 wires are located

The 2 wires to remove (test to verify yours is the same. I think mine were different colors) The last wire in the connector is for neutral. So if your neutral light is not on when you are in neutral, then you disconnected the wrong wire.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #250
SMJunkie990
Adventurer

Thanks K1973 for pictures and info how to do that, much appreciated
Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #251
k1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Not a problem gentlemen. I actually own an SM-T, but the whole 990 line is so similar that most of our mods will translate to the other bikes. I actually did my full emissions removal using details from a Super Duke forum. The above actually came from KTMSMT.com. It's a much smaller forum, but a few members there have quite a bit of tech knowledge. One of them is actually on an SMR.

Anyway, glad I could help.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #252
Whip
Onward through the fog

Oddometer: 607
Any reason the Aqualine SE tanks won't fit on the SMR?

The dude on the phone thought they would, but he did not sound convincing.

8 gallons of gas would change everything.

I'm their leader...Which way did they go???

Whip screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 02:43 PM
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #253
shooter450
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMJunkie990 View Post
Hi shooter 450,

Yes I used the G2 tamer. It was a very easy install and helps a lot. The wire cut mod is above, that is it. nice job K1973.

Also the gas range is very low....I usually got 85 miles before my gas light come on and then I only have another 20 miles before it goes dry. I have gotten 100 miles out of a tank once, but that was all freeway going the speed limit, BORING!

I would love a bigger gas tank.

shooter450 screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 12:31 PM
shooter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #254
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
The 950 SE/SMR are near identical, body work wise anyway. The aqualine will work on either 950. Your 990SMR not so much. It may work but you would need a seat for sure, perhaps rear plastic too. I'd be more inclined to carry an extra 1gal bottle of fuel and a siphon tube. You're talking over $1000 to add range going with the tank plus seat plus misc bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip View Post
Any reason the Aqualine SE tanks won't fit on the SMR?

The dude on the phone thought they would, but he did not sound convincing.

8 gallons of gas would change everything.

nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #255
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
I would love a bigger gas tank.
Some german guy's did install a SMT gas tank on their SMR, then you got 4 liters extra or 1.05 gallon extra.
The stock seat is the same so it's a straight fit
Attached Images