ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #31
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
Has anyone considered porting this idea over to a "cheap" tablet? I'm thinking a 7" tablet could sit on my tank bag and be no more distracting than my 60CSx on the bars. Here's an option for discussion sake: Android 2.2 Tablet Cortex A8 Touch Screen Support Flash Bluetooth Gps Wifi
Several people are using my app on Nook colors with Bluetooth GPSes. They say it works well.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #32
adventure95004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
wally mart has an 8inch vizio that gets good reviews, gps, android 2.3 the phone os not the tablet, can take a micro sd up to 32gb for $250 even cheaper at sams I think. A few people have posted on the android forums that the gps works good offline with cached maps.
I am running DSM on a sprint evo now so that will be the first app on it.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #33
Joe Dirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Several people are using my app on Nook colors with Bluetooth GPSes. They say it works well.
I recently loaded your s/w onto a Toshiba Thrive and it's working great. The onboard GPS seems to work okay, if a little slow to change, in the car. When warmer weather arrives I look forward to taking this for a ride on the bike.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #34
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
I recently loaded your s/w onto a Toshiba Thrive and it's working great. The onboard GPS seems to work okay, if a little slow to change, in the car. When warmer weather arrives I look forward to taking this for a ride on the bike.
I recently got a new motorola razr m and the GPS is incredible. I was running it in a 757 even. I couldn't do that with my Garmins.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #35
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Has anyone considered porting this idea over to a "cheap" tablet? I'm thinking a 7" tablet could sit on my tank bag and be no more distracting than my 60CSx on the bars. Here's an option for discussion sake: Android 2.2 Tablet Cortex A8 Touch Screen Support Flash Bluetooth Gps Wifi

Done, $112 CyberNav with Orux. Cheap enough to be near disposable, and awesome with the kinks worked out. Review

The biggest problem is the screen as (so far) cheap generally does not equal sunlight-readable. My answer to this was custom high-contrast maps (near black and white) and a sunscreen. Of the two, the high-contrast is the most important.

Oh, and yes, OSM data and my tracks through JOSM (map editor), through Maperative to generate my very own tile-set (high-contrast, thick lines), through MOBAC to generate Oruxmaps. Yes, Orux configuration is crazy, but awesome when you get it right. Yes, the multiple learning curves of the above are crazy, but I am very, very happy with the results.

I've been meaning to do a write-up on the above... but then I've been meaning to do a lot of things these days,

David...

FixerDave screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 08:28 PM
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #36
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerDave View Post
Oh, and yes, OSM data and my tracks through JOSM (map editor), through Maperative to generate my very own tile-set (high-contrast, thick lines), through MOBAC to generate Oruxmaps. Yes, Orux configuration is crazy, but awesome when you get it right. Yes, the multiple learning curves of the above are crazy, but I am very, very happy with the results.
I've installed an uninstalled Oruxmaps 4 or 5 times now.

What a pain.

I've used OSMand for a couple of years now. They have the vector maps already made for me on a server. Download all of the free maps that I want, and I'm good. OSMand doesn't do a bad job of routing either.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #37
Buddy_Holly
Imminent Train Wreck

Oddometer: 1,117
For anyone with a iPad mini wifi only this might be the ticket

http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-1000-3.../dp/B0035Y7ZJ2
BAD ELF.

is a GPS reciever, and lets you charge while using it- downside I couldn't find it with the new connector- so you need the 30 pin adapter. Silly Apple.

Just throwing it out there.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #38
Buddy_Holly
Imminent Train Wreck

Would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/fashion-allwin...rds=tablet+gps
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #39
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Holly View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-1000-3.../dp/B0035Y7ZJ2
BAD ELF.

is a GPS reciever, and lets you charge while using it- downside I couldn't find it with the new connector- so you need the 30 pin adapter. Silly Apple.

Just throwing it out there.
Doesn't Apple build a GPS into their devices already? What is the point of this?
I suspect some of the older devices didn't include a GPS, and this stupid expense part is what you could add to get GPS.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #40
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
Doesn't Apple build a GPS into their devices already? What is the point of this?
Yes, the phones and the 3G/LTE enabled iPads have built-in GPSes.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #41
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
Yes, the phones and the 3G/LTE enabled iPads have built-in GPSes.
So the WiFi only devices don't have GPS built in? I'd be surprised if you couldn't activate it by jail breaking the device, but maybe its an integrated chip with the 3g?

O Apple, I am so glad I don't own any of your devices. Broken from the factory. Only to be repaired with more money.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #42
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
So the WiFi only devices don't have GPS built in? I'd be surprised if you couldn't activate it by jail breaking the device, but maybe its an integrated chip with the 3g?
This is my understanding- the GPS is integrated with the 3G chipset.

Quote:
O Apple, I am so glad I don't own any of your devices. Broken from the factory. Only to be repaired with more money.
What kind of nonsensical drivel is this? My iPads work as advertised. They were never designed nor sold as navigation devices.

On the topic, there are many Android devices also without GPS but I guess those don't warrant discussion since they're not made by Apple.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #43
Buddy_Holly
Imminent Train Wreck

So back to the android world- I have a co-worker who will sell me his old droid so I can use that as a GPS- workable?

How say ye?

Sure would be nicer than having to buy a new $400.00 Garmin GPS.

Thanks,

BH
Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #44
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Holly View Post
So back to the android world- I have a co-worker who will sell me his old droid so I can use that as a GPS- workable?

How say ye?

Sure would be nicer than having to buy a new $400.00 Garmin GPS.

Thanks,

BH
It will. I'm not aware of any Android devices that don't have GPS built in (except for the early Kindle and Nook tablets), but it depends more on what you want to do with it.

The only thing that I can't get an Android device to do is give me good, offline, turn by turn directions of my preplanned route.

Offline maps is easy, using a preplanned route is easy, but the only app I have found that does offline, turn by turn of an uploaded GPX route is OSMand and it does it pretty poorly.

If you don't care about this very specific need then an Android device will work fine.

P.S. not all Garmin devices will do that either.

P.P.S. Once you get the device you can download maps via WiFi either using Google maps, OSMand, Oruxmaps, CoPilot, etc. which are all free.

Trimble outdoors used to be good (their trip planning features are top notch), but now you have to buy the app and then sign up for a subscription service to use their trip planning features separately. That screwed all of us who bought the app previously, bastards.

Crafty's app (Dual Sport Maps) is good with some moto specific features and a decent website interface to plan routes, but I believe its a variant of OSMand so try that first to see if you like it.

2013 V-Strom

Thanantos screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 04:18 AM
Old 01-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #45
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
What kind of nonsensical drivel is this? My iPads work as advertised. They were never designed nor sold as navigation devices.

On the topic, there are many Android devices also without GPS but I guess those don't warrant discussion since they're not made by Apple.
You're right on both accounts. The difference being the Android devices are half the price and accomplish the same thing....actually more.

But, what the hell. If you're happy with it, good for you.

It was not my intent to raise the ire of the Apple fanboys in the crowd.

2013 V-Strom