Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #76
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Don't know if it means anything, but I sent in one of the petitions for Honda to bring the Transalp to the US. I included my phone number and actually got a call back. The Honda guy seemed interested in my opinion, what I wanted and hinted to keep watching the Honda website. I will buy a 2012 Transalp if they bring it here.
deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #77
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene View Post
Don't know if it means anything, but I sent in one of the petitions for Honda to bring the Transalp to the US. I included my phone number and actually got a call back. The Honda guy seemed interested in my opinion, what I wanted and hinted to keep watching the Honda website. I will buy a 2012 Transalp if they bring it here.
Would you really buy one? Have you ever even sat on one?
I had 2 of them here in my garage a few months ago. They did not impress me at all. They are a nice looking bike but, not great looking and nothing like the africa twin. They also have way more plastic than the old model which was a complete disaster here in the states back in the day.

There is no way the transalp will be brought here to compete with the wee strom. You have to remember that the USA is not a very profitable place to sell motorcycles. It's a great place to get rid of volume and if the buyers in Europe are happy paying the price they do for them, why sell them here for pennies of profit. The problem is when the volume does not sell, then the bike is a loss maker.

I'll say it again, reintroduce the Africa twin, give it the same bodywork as the old model, better motor and suspension and it will be a serious contender for the new strom and blow the tiger and the GS 800 out of the water.

Can someone please stop pressing the snooze button at the Honda plant and wake them up to whats going on in the market.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #78
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
I had 2 of them here in my garage a few months ago. They did not impress me at all. They are a nice looking bike but, not great looking and nothing like the africa twin. They also have way more plastic than the old model which was a complete disaster here in the states back in the day.
I haven't ridden a new one, that's for sure. But, I have sat on, and even rode, an 89 TA. I liked it, liked the seating position, the smooth power, and the ride. That one was for sale, but I didn't have the money right then and it was gone when I had the money up.
I would love to see the Africa Twin re-introduced, however they are out of production and the TransAlp is not. They are popular in Europe, known for their reliability. I like the plastics on the older TA better, but the new TA's looks good too. I think it would be just the ticket for my wife and I. Yeah, I think the price point would be competitive with the WEE, and I would buy one.
Here is a link to a review of a 700 TA. Also compares to older 600 TA.
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transal...p-700-a-3.html

deputygene screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 08:13 PM Reason: Added stuff
deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #79
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post

There is no way the transalp will be brought here to compete with the wee strom. You have to remember that the USA is not a very profitable place to sell motorcycles. It's a great place to get rid of volume and if the buyers in Europe are happy paying the price they do for them, why sell them here for pennies of profit. The problem is when the volume does not sell, then the bike is a loss maker.

I'll say it again, reintroduce the Africa twin, give it the same bodywork as the old model, better motor and suspension and it will be a serious contender for the new strom and blow the tiger and the GS 800 out of the water.

Can someone please stop pressing the snooze button at the Honda plant and wake them up to whats going on in the market.
i've always liked this modded one.
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #80
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,199
I do not think that Transalp 700 would do well anywhere. Actually it did not do well so far on this side of the pond. I mean - did not do well in sales.
I know I am going to get some owners angry at me for this, but I rode it and it is so...so....I do not know...pizza delivery bike feel. Boring. Nothing stands out. Slow in comparison with quite a few bikes, squishy handling in comparison with other quite a few, not really pretty and pain in the a...e to service (dear God, I lost count of screws to get closer to engine). WAY to heavy to even resemble adventure bike. It's just kinda UJM without kick. Many people like it, many don't. But isn't riding at least in a bit about excitement and pushing it? Isn't it reason several makes broke through in market share? Isn't it easier to buy 1993 Honda Civic and ride it without single hitch for one million kms if it would be just about moving a to b?
And when I say soul or feel - do not tell me that "soul means unreliable etc". I won't agree. I have my old VTR1000F and that motor is full of soul and sound to go with it, yet it is reliable and friendly machine to ride. Even Goldwing have that. Even Deauville have that - it's oddball looks at least! Africa was so popular because it was so different approach to adventure bike. And surprisingly easy taking spills. But new Alp...in my native language we have saying "not fish, nor meat". This is so much about new alp. I am amazed at people lusting over it without even trying what it is.

Rant off.

TwoPlugs, are they surely going to show new bikes on EICMA? Reason - I am going (for something else) there with whole bunch of friends and may be need to take good camera with me?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #81
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
...at least until that part of the Japanese bke manufacturer's 'U.S export non competition agreement' runs its course. Suzuki's Wee might just be in its last year of non compete from Honda.
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #82
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash48 View Post
...at least until that part of the Japanese bke manufacturer's 'U.S export non competition agreement' runs its course. Suzuki's Wee might just be in its last year of non compete from Honda.
each of the japanese mfg. are not competing against each other???
where are you getting that idea?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #83
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Calling those "dual sports" oy vey....
Old 10-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #84
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash48 View Post
Seems to me the if any "non competition" comes into it it would have to be leveled at the feet of the US importers.

Look around the world, The Japanese compete and very hard.

If the market is small Honda US may not bring in a model because they know that they will have to build a market.

Just as YAMAHA are doing now with the S10. It takes time and effort and possibly losses "in that market" to do that and as has been proven often enough, what sells in other parts of the world may not sell in the US.

I know it's a total; cliche' but Cruisers sell in the US and "ADV" bikes sell in Europe up to this point. The rest of the world, the fast growing parts, are looking at scooters and small cc bikes. So if you want variety I suggest you all get into the small cc bike segment. You will be flooded with choice.

The rest are just niche' products. The days of the US being the driver of product is fading. If you want variety the US will have to learn to pay more for the smaller and smaller volumes they require. AT least the ADV segment is declining more slowly than the rest, but that is not a great rap for the market, but may draw more focus to that segment as its percentages increase.

Each importer will be asking themselves how they die more slowly than the others. On the other hand if they tax the crap out of petrol that may change, but that's not about to happen.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 10-14-2011 at 07:13 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:12 AM   #85
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
I recall seeing numerous articles about how the adventure-touring market was the fastest growing US segment. A few years ago, the motorcycle industry would have been in the negatives if it weren't for an adventure and dual-sport sales bloom. But, I don't know what the stats are, now.

Maybe Honda wants to see how well the Super Tenere fares being a late, premium addition to the market. More variety is always a good thing.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #86
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Official pics NC700X

Unfortunately (or should I say predictibly) not the Africa Twin Successor I thought it would be. But I love the specs:
48 Bhp / 60 Nm Torque / 218 kg
Attached Images

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #87
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Official pics NC700X

more
Attached Images

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #88
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Official pics NC700X

and more
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #89
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Official pics NC700X

and more... in this trim, it looks like the bigger Cross Tourer (see http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post17251167 )
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #90
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Official pics NC700X

In detail...
Attached Images