Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #736
Dan GSR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
sat one one today, i like it, but honestly it has to be 20k for the base model for me to really justify it, otherwise i'll just get a multistrada
Old 10-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #737
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-lust View Post
Mine sounds like a Richthofen Red Baron biplane with the help from $taintune...
Biplane? BIPLANE?! The Red Baron flew a Fokker TRIplane for cripe sakes. That was the defining feature that made it cool! Snoopy flew the biplane.

As for exhaust, I kinda doubt they'll go with an aftermarket company for their production exhaust, especailly if it has a converter in it. I'd be surprised of any of the aftermarket companies were even set up to do the required testing, let alone the facilities to certify the bike was legal.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #738
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
Biplane? BIPLANE?! The Red Baron flew a Fokker TRIplane for cripe sakes.
...as his last plane.

His first victories came in Albatros D.II, Albatros D.III, Albatros D.V aircraft.

It was the end of 1917 before he was flying the Fokker Dr.I

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #739
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Biplane? BIPLANE?! The Red Baron flew a Fokker TRIplane for cripe sakes. That was the defining feature that made it cool! Snoopy flew the biplane.

As for exhaust, I kinda doubt they'll go with an aftermarket company for their production exhaust, especailly if it has a converter in it. I'd be surprised of any of the aftermarket companies were even set up to do the required testing, let alone the facilities to certify the bike was legal.
When I sat on the Motus in Daytona and talked to the Motus guys, I commented that I didn't expect the production bikes to have a Two Brothers exhaust. I was told that they were working with Two Guys and it was likely the production bike would have a Two Brothers exhaust on it.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #740
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
...as his last plane.

His first victories came in Albatros D.II, Albatros D.III, Albatros D.V aircraft.

But what is the iconic plane the Red Baron is associated with? Ducati won their first races with valve springs, and built bikes with valve springs up until about 1980, but no one seems to care at this point.

Anyway, quit confusing things with the facts. This is the INTERNET for cripesakes!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #741
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
When I sat on the Motus in Daytona and talked to the Motus guys, I commented that I didn't expect the production bikes to have a Two Brothers exhaust. I was told that they were working with Two Guys and it was likely the production bike would have a Two Brothers exhaust on it.
That's surprising... and interesting that he'd say "likely". It's got to be getting a little late in the game to not have that ironed out. Though I suppose for limited production there's a bit more leeway in timing. And I'm hearing that small manufacturers don't have to meet tier 2 emissions so that simplifies things a bit too.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #742
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Two Brothers makes just about the worst quality after-market "mufflers", I REALLY hope Motus is not going to use that junk. Either much better quality stuff from 2-Bros or another supplier altogether. I'd hope for the latter.

--
Mikko
Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #743
Suncoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
...as his last plane.

Ya gotta be careful here this place is full of experts in everything!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #744
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast View Post
Ya gotta be careful here this place is full of experts in everything!!!
Yeah, well, I'm pretty sure Snoopy only ever flew a biplane (Sopwith Camel, no?), so at least I got that part right. I think.

I'm almost afraid to ask... but what happened with the Albatros D.IV?
Old 10-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #745
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
That's surprising... and interesting that he'd say "likely". It's got to be getting a little late in the game to not have that ironed out. Though I suppose for limited production there's a bit more leeway in timing. And I'm hearing that small manufacturers don't have to meet tier 2 emissions so that simplifies things a bit too.
Well, that was at last year's biketoberfest, so it has been a year since then.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #746
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Yeah, well, I'm pretty sure Snoopy only ever flew a biplane (Sopwith Camel, no?), so at least I got that part right. I think.

I'm almost afraid to ask... but what happened with the Albatros D.IV?
In typical German fashion it had final drive failures and was immediately pulled from the market.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 AM   #747
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
Fuck me, there are some real armchair experts in this thread!

The bike looks great, sounds horn and has 1st class running gear.

AND it is made in the US.

If you can't afford it, well don't buy the fucking thing.

Not hard, really.

So easy to criticise.....
Old 10-17-2011, 06:15 AM   #748
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Bird View Post
Fuck me, there are some real armchair experts in this thread!

The bike looks great, sounds horn and has 1st class running gear.

AND it is made in the US.

If you can't afford it, well don't buy the fucking thing.

Not hard, really.

So easy to criticise.....
From the consumers perspective, it really is that simple. From a manufacturers perspective, if it's priced to high for too many people, they won't sell enough, and that's not good for business.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #749
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
From the consumers perspective, it really is that simple. From a manufacturers perspective, if it's priced to high for too many people, they won't sell enough, and that's not good for business.
It depends on what their business model is.. If they have a capacity to build only 200 bikes a year at $25K to $30,000 per bike, and sell them all, then that's good for their business plan, keeping a certain mystique that it's an exclusive bike that few can afford and fewer still can own.. that seems to work as a business model for some products. Maybe it will work for this one.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #750
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
It depends on what their business model is.. If they have a capacity to build only 200 bikes a year at $25K to $30,000 per bike, and sell them all, then that's good for their business plan, keeping a certain mystique that it's an exclusive bike that few can afford and fewer still can own.. that seems to work as a business model for some products. Maybe it will work for this one.
It also keeps your overhead low. Hand build from parts sourced from suppliers and charge more per unit. The cost per unit is higher, but you can sell everything you build and don't have to invest in a large mfg environment. You can ebb and flow with sales and not have a large stock of bikes sitting on the showroom floor waiting for discounts to move.

It does take longer to recover your R&D, but gives you far less exposure to costs in large capital eating shops. Labor, the most costly item of all, is kept low and allows you to source very talented people.

The videos taken along the first tour explained the exact business model. They are going to be exclusive bikes that are not 'old rich guy only' priced. I think they are filling a market hole that could easily see some progress. I'm still in.