User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #91
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
SL100 progress & SL350 update

Have been working on my daughters SL100, trying to get the now running motorcycle to perform properly. Even though it starts fairly easily, it doesn't want to run past mid throttle and runs very rich, with a light inversion of fuel coming back out of the carb throat. I went back into the carb several times, cleaning and adjusting, especially the float level as well as checking the needle (center position) and nothing changed. I also went through and tightened the head bolts (they were loose), adjusted the cam chain, valves and reset the timing again. Checked compression, 110 psi and although a little low it is supposed to have a new bore so the low number may be due to rings not being seated yet. Still ran the same, so then I took off the exhaust thinking it might be plugged, but other than being much louder, no change in how it ran.

At this point I decided to order a new float, needle & seat, 105 main jet (it had a 110 in it and looked like it may have been drilled??) carb gasket kit, petcock gaskets, all screws and nuts that were stripped, rounded or otherwise boogered up, and a few other items like new chain, tank mounts, battery strap, etc. While waiting for these parts to arrive, I have fixed or repaired a few other items such as the missing footpeg bolts, continued to sort out the wiring (almost done, really just need to trim and loom everything now) and then last night I decided to put a number plate on it as my daughter has decided on her vintage racing number, #9. She chose this number based on her varsity soccer team number, but I explained to her how the old AMA National Numbers used to work and how this number had always been Gary Nixon's and what an icon he has always been and also how he just recently passed. This number has a lot of meaning for us older riders and I hope it will someday have similar meaning for her.

As far as the SL350, my next step is to have two sets of 2 into 1 exhausts made, one for my bike and one for Paul's (Oregon Coast) SL350. In a couple of weeks I have one whole weekend with nothing planned, that is when I will completely dismantle my SL350 and get a serious start on the winter rebuild.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #92
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Oh yes, a SL 100 was my first what I called a real motorcycle. I have many fond memories of riding the track in the subdivition in New Lenox, Ill. where I had grown up. Also the farmers fields near the old homestead, too. Lots of fun.
never2old4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #93
Czechsix
Slower than you....

Oddometer: 292
Just an FYI, maybe it'll help some of you scrambler types....ad just popped up on San Diego CL
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/2622563334.html

Truckload Honda Scrambler - Super Hawk Parts - $1 (Spring Valley)

I'm not the seller, have no idea who it is, have no connection, etc etc call my lawyer blah blah blah welcome to california
Neduro to Dakar 2012
TEAM F5 2012 WHAT A GREAT RIDE!
Czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #94
kimber45
I'm over it.

Oddometer: 711

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Brought home a new addition to the Barn Fresh stable today. Bought an SL100 for my daughter to vintage race. Fairly clean with some nice pieces, but the wiring looks like it was done by Edward Scissor-Hands!

It is supposed to have a fresh bore, but does not run due to electrical issues. The goal is to have the bike ready for next summer, my daughter will ride & race when on leave from the Air Force. Stay tuned for updates!
kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #95
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

SL 100 Progress

Last night my daughter and I worked on her SL100 and even though we are making great progress, the bike still does not run right. We now have a fully and carefully rebuilt carburetor (new float, needle & seat, 105 mainjet, gaskets & seals, etc), and also installed the chain and finished hooking up the charging system (which does not appear to be working either, arghh).

Rebuilt Carb

Rebuilt carb on bike (with fresh gaskets and o-ring)

Adjusting new chain (I had her grind the sideplate off and help cut chain, she also did the whole adjustment with dad "advising" her

So I am a little stumped with this thing. The carb now seems to be working really well, not seeing any sloppy fuel or misting, but the engine still will not rev out past about 1/3 throttle, it acts like it is being held back like the timing is off. I have double checked cam timing and believe it is right on, it almost acts like the advance mechanism is working backward, retarding the iginition instead of advancing it. Does not backfire out the intake or exhaust, which leads me to believe the cam timing is right. I don't normally put a timing light on these small bikes, but think I'm going to give it a try to find out exactly where the timing is and what happens as we rev it up. It just feels like I have missed something altogether. Please bear in mind the bike was re-bored and assembled by someone else, so it makes me wonder what might have been missed internally? It does not smoke and seems to have reasonable compression (110 psi), but is slightly on the low side. Any ideas anyone??
Old 10-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #96
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,092
The slide needle/nozzle in those carbs is also a wearing part. I had an old 70's "barn fresh" xr 80 and the needle had vibrated in the nozzle for sooooo long(decades of changing water on the back 40 and barn yard hot laps) that the needle/nozzle were worn thin allowing much more gas than the motor could use. Replaced the needle and nozzle and it would cleanly rev out again. Another snag with that bike was that the edge of the exhaust valve seat had been eroded and wouldn't allow a good seal resulting in low compression allowing it to fall on its face, when the throttle was opened too quickly.

Great thread, which has me eyeing the classifieds for that canary yellow cl66 type, I passed up so long ago... Might have to pick up that CL175, that keeps turning up on the local craigslist, as a tide me over!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #97
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 339
I've been reading OC's and your threads with great enthusiasm. Is that a K1 or K2 SL350? Can you give me the low down on the MR forks/wheel? I'm picking up a K1 tomorrow. I had a new one as a teen. I want to upgrade the suspension to be acceptable on TAT style riding. I won't be doing any racing, but the trials stuff is intriguing. Thanks for any assistance.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #98
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

worn needle and low voltage

Snowhawk, I think you pin-pointed at least 50% of the problem. Today we installed a new condensor and points (genuine Honda) and were especially careful to gap and time properly. Also went thru petcock and completely cleaned and checked, disassembled the fuel cap and cleaned and replaced gasket, as well as subsituting all the worn out, stripped and boogered up screws. However, did not get charging system working as rectifier still has not arrived. Arghhh!

Ran bike and with all changes ran about the same. Since charging system isn't working, decided to try running bike while on charger. and what do you know, it showed a noticeable improvement in top end. So now it idles great, has a bad sag or burble in mid range and will rev out to some degree while on battery charger. Since the needle mostly controls the midrange, I pulled it out and looked at it under a magnifying glass. It does show some wear and without knowing how worn the nozzle is I'm just going to order them both and replace.

Today I also replaced the brake pedal spring and tightened a few more miscellaneous nuts and bolts. It always amazes me how pieces of machinery can be used until there is so little left functioning properly and yet they somehow continue to function, then when you are working to resurrect, there are layer upon layer of problems. It does keep it interesting and a challenge.

Good luck with whatever bike you decide on, do you ever go to any races? The reason I ask, is that AHRMA has an event in Crooked River called Steel Stampede, missed it this year but am hoping to make it in 2012, maybe I will see you there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
The slide needle/nozzle in those carbs is also a wearing part. I had an old 70's "barn fresh" xr 80 and the needle had vibrated in the nozzle for sooooo long(decades of changing water on the back 40 and barn yard hot laps) that the needle/nozzle were worn thin allowing much more gas than the motor could use. Replaced the needle and nozzle and it would cleanly rev out again. Another snag with that bike was that the edge of the exhaust valve seat had been eroded and wouldn't allow a good seal resulting in low compression allowing it to fall on its face, when the throttle was opened too quickly.

Great thread, which has me eyeing the classifieds for that canary yellow cl66 type, I passed up so long ago... Might have to pick up that CL175, that keeps turning up on the local craigslist, as a tide me over!
Old 10-16-2011, 01:00 AM   #99
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

K2

Dale, welcome to the 350 twin club. I believe our particular bikes are K2's because they have the 35 mm triple trees, which is what allows the bolt on of the early CR/MT components. I am mostly riding MX with mine while OC is tackling just about ever discipline you can imagine. While our approaches may differ, we both have a great respect for the fine engineering that created this enduring classic. Good luck and don't hesitate to share your discoveries or ask questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Warren View Post
I've been reading OC's and your threads with great enthusiasm. Is that a K1 or K2 SL350? Can you give me the low down on the MR forks/wheel? I'm picking up a K1 tomorrow. I had a new one as a teen. I want to upgrade the suspension to be acceptable on TAT style riding. I won't be doing any racing, but the trials stuff is intriguing. Thanks for any assistance.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #100
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Long day in the shop

So today was a long day in the shop, but got lots done and am pretty happy with the progress. Besides working on the daughters SL100 (see above), I also spent some time mocking up the exhaust system on my bike and also partially dismantled another parts bike. For relaxation I took an afternoon break and mowed the lawn!

While mocking up the exhaust I installed the skid plate off of OC's SL350 onto my bike, so that if what I end up building is also suitable for his bike, we will know it is a fit.

I was unable to take pictures as the wife and her girlfriends are in Astoria taking the basic rider training course, and have the camera to document their hi-jinx. Tomorrow I plan to finish stripping both parts bikes and will get a few pics of the exhaust project.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #101
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 662
The SL sounds like problems other than carb. The smaller Honda's require a battery to run, the alternater/generator can load up and the bike won't rev like yoo describe.
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #102
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Progress Pics

SL350 with OC's skid plate setup. RH pipe has been rotated clockwise as far as possible while still leaving frame clearance. LH pipe will be cut, rotated clockwise and joined into RH pipe. Single pipe will emerge from under brake pedal pivot area. Some type of light, durable low restriction muffler will be used, possibly a super trapp.

View of area where 2 into 1 pipe will emerge.....

SL350 "Scrambler" project, before disassembly on Saturday afternoon;

"After" on Sunday morning. Have a rough idea what I want this to look like, I am thinking black and silver with scrambler pipes, maybe an older tank and fenders in the style of the old 305 scramblers....

Old 10-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #103
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 339
What material is that skid plate? Thickness?
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #104
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Skid Plate

Dale,

The skid plate is a piece of art work built by OC and his crew, not sure of aluminum specs, you can hop over to his thread and ask him. He told me they mocked it up with cardboard and then built. It is made of three pieces and bolted up beautifully, impressive work.

There are other threads here on ADV where they discuss "old school" skid plates, one design mentioned was to take an aluminum scoop shovel of appropriate dimensions, fabricate brackets and bolt on. For the right bike it could be kinda cool.

Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Warren View Post
What material is that skid plate? Thickness?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #105
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

SL100 Success Report

I'm happy to report that the SL100 continues to progress and the charging system is now working fine. As reported earlier, The stator had checked out (there are differences of opinion on how to check, I used the method checking for continuity between the three possible wire pairs and also ensuring that none go to ground) and then tested the rectifier, which showed to have one bad diode. I decided to try out the Oregon Motorcycle Parts rectifier, it is tiny in comparison to the original unit but is supposed to be far more durable. I used the original mounting bracket and location, installed the wires into the connector to match original configuration, put it all back together, started it up and.....nothing???? Still not charging. WTF?

So I'm looking at the way it is wired, it does have a ground wire leading to the base, I had cleaned the base and mounting plate, should have a good ground, but then I realized the rectifer mounts to the air box and it's mounted on rubber grommets! Ok, so I make an auxilliary ground wire, hook it up and suddenly she is charging beautfully. With key off it was at 6 volts, key on and engine running at 7.75 volts. Just for grins I decided to try something I had read about, pairing the yelow wire with the white wire and the running voltage jumped to over 8.5. I decided that since this unit does not use a voltage regulator to only go with the factory yellow wire.

Old rectifier

New rectifier (with auxilliary ground)

The increased voltage definitely helped the performance but still had a pretty good burble in mid range, so I took the slide out, dropped the needle to the bottom adjustment and tried again, now it is running pretty good with only a slight mid range burble. The new needle and nozzle should arrive have next week.

I'm now tidying up the wiring, getting ready to pull and clean the clutch plates (they are stuck) and turn this bike over to the duaghter so she can ride it! With this phase of the project winding down (remember it is going to get hot rodded for Vintage MX) I will start shifting my focus back to the 350 twins again.