10% less woopow at top end ---- that's fine
5% more torque
10% less touring ability-- comfort?
15% more off pavemt ability
10% more carving ability
60-80lbs less
10% less range

Don't care about 2up riding.
Most of my rides are 100 mile minimums to 300 sometimes and the quarterly 2-3 day 1,000 trips.

My FZ is awesome! But I'd like to hit the gravel a little more, lose some weight, and crave a little more. If I have to stop 20 miles sooner to streatch, so be it.

I think the smaller, thumper SMs just won't put in milage that I do now.
That sound right??
Basically, you either like it or you don't....it seems that people who like the 950 SM's are people with former dirtbike experience, maybe MX in their youth , often first got hooked on the true , single cylinder, SM's but wanted more. I personally prefer the torque over horsepower that the 950 SM provides, RC-51 type power over 1000RR type power..instant on, no spooling up.

I know some people, including Walter, take their SM's off pavement, but I swear, I don't think they are a gravel or dirt bike .

KHVol screwed with this post 10-17-2011 at 11:09 AM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #6272
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachedoutoffroad View Post
Since the thread hijacked itself

Found a few '06-'07s for $6300-$7500 depending on farkles.

Seem about right?

Theyre all a few states so I guess I'll have to fly and ride home
If you're going to fly and ride might as well max out your distance..hint..hint.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #6273
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 632
Cool. Thanks guys.

The numbers I threw out were madeupbymenorealevidence #s. More like questions I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
If you're going to fly and ride might as well max out your distance..hint..hint.
I think you need an FZ1 and to live about 2,600 miles closer!!!!
That's the exact one I want!!!
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #6274
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Cool. Thanks guys.

The numbers I threw out were madeupbymenorealevidence #s. More like questions I guess.

I think you need an FZ1 and to live about 2,600 miles closer!!!!
That's the exact one I want!!!
I did 5000km in 12 days. The SM tours great. Just add the SW Motech racks, a tank bag and 690Duke windscreen.

Jason
Old 10-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #6275
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big View Post
I did 5000km in 12 days. The SM tours great. Just add the SW Motech racks, a tank bag and 690Duke windscreen.

Jason
.....and on a stock seat if I remember corectly....Ouch...that was a good RR
Old 10-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #6276
imxz28
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Agreed. A new 990 is double the price of my paid-for 950. Also I'm not keen on the fueling of the new ones. They're very snatchy, although you can get rid of that with some work.

The new 990 SMT does crash well though.

Jason

My bad wpbarlow.... My 2006 is a 950 SM and I'm interested in how the 990 SMR compares.
I've heard so much about the snatchy throttle and have imagined that what people are trying to say is it's too jerky all or nothing on the gas?? It must be such an issues that can't be controlled through more precise wrist control. Many people here and there post about it. Please shed some light.
imxz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #6277
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by imxz28 View Post
My bad wpbarlow.... My 2006 is a 950 SM and I'm interested in how the 990 SMR compares.
I've heard so much about the snatchy throttle and have imagined that what people are trying to say is it's too jerky all or nothing on the gas?? It must be such an issues that can't be controlled through more precise wrist control. Many people here and there post about it. Please shed some light.

I've ridden a number of 990s in all the KTM models. The throttles of all of them were abrupt to a lesser or greater degree but overall nbd and certainly not a reason to not purchase.

In short, the 990SMR is a much more sharply focused bike than the 950. Tough to ride casually-- always wants to be in attack mode and fantastic in that element. Feels so much like a single (except for power!) that it's hard to believe. Make sure you ride one before buying.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #6278
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Tache,

I was getting a new rear tire put on my 950 when I saw this out in front of the building.

http://www.cyclenationpowersports.co...37&pov=1566735

I started chatting the guy up about it and they have had it for a year but can't move it so I think they are motivated. They have it listed for $100 less than they paid for it but I'm sure will go lower. It has a Scotts steering damper and Remus pipes on it along with an aftermarket seat. He still had the original seat and pipes in the back so you could sell those and make a few bucks back. The bike was pristine - without a scratch.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #6279
imxz28
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
In short, the 990SMR is a much more sharply focused bike than the 950. Tough to ride casually-- always wants to be in attack mode and fantastic in that element. Feels so much like a single (except for power!) that it's hard to believe. Make sure you ride one before buying.

I only wish I could ride one before I buy. I'd be willing to pay someone anywhere within a tanks ride of Tulsa to meet me for a swap in rides. I could bring my ZX12R in exchange for a 990 SMR ride ??? Else how does a guy go about a test ride. My Tulsa dealer says they stoped dealing in 990's due to soft sales. They sell loads of dirt bikes though.
imxz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #6280
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by imxz28 View Post
I only wish I could ride one before I buy. I'd be willing to pay someone anywhere within a tanks ride of Tulsa to meet me for a swap in rides. I could bring my ZX12R in exchange for a 990 SMR ride ??? Else how does a guy go about a test ride. My Tulsa dealer says they stoped dealing in 990's due to soft sales. They sell loads of dirt bikes though.
Why don't you post up on the Regionals forum.....someone near you might be gracious enough to let you ride theirs for a few miles, swapout...

KHVol screwed with this post 10-15-2011 at 01:22 PM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #6281
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:

Jason
Renazco seat..'nough said. I rode it home 2500km in 3 days, better tourer than my 1200GS, honest (just don't tell anybody in the oilhead forum that I said so.) I thought the small(ish) tank would suck, but it turned out to be just perfect spacing for butt breaks, and I never missed a windshield but that might just be me. All I used for luggage was a GL Fandango tank bag and a Wolfman Alpha duffle.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #6282
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
I did 2500 miles in 4 days thru thu NY,PA,WV and KY, then on to Indy, and home to Toronto area. I did have a 3 day stop in the middle of the trip in Indy, but other than the hard seat, and lack of wind protection, it was fine. The aggressive geometry made it tough over 75 mph , but of course that was also towing my trailer behind the bike. I am certain KTM didn't factor a trailer into the equation when engineering the bike,LOL
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #6283
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 632
Holy diamond encrusted bike batman

Husky 610SM insurance $181 year
Yamaha FZ1 $417 year
KTM 950SM. $1,079 year

Progressive has the Husky as a dirt bike, mine as a street-sport, and the KTM as a super-sport

.....that hurts me....
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #6284
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,386
Quote:
r
KTM 950SM. $1,079 year

Progressive has the Husky as a dirt bike, mine as a street-sport, and the KTM as a super-sport.....that hurts me....
Definitely try another company. 950s are generally cheap to insure.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #6285
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
+1

Down to $200 a year full coverage with rider. 07 smr and a clean record.

35yrs old
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote