Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #31
kingrukus
Noobish

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
Did you oil the chain before you rode?
I oiled the chain about 300-400 miles before this started to occur, but looking at the oil and where it is I don't think its possible for it to have come from the chain. Its on the outer plastic sprocket cover right underneath the alternator. Behind that cover is another cover that holds the clutch slave and also covers the drive sprocket completely. Also, what I have leaking is engine oil for sure.

There is a $6.00 seal inside the alternator I am going to replace this winter, hoping that takes care of the problem.
kingrukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #32
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
I oiled the chain about 300-400 miles before this started to occur, but looking at the oil and where it is I don't think its possible for it to have come from the chain. Its on the outer plastic sprocket cover right underneath the alternator. Behind that cover is another cover that holds the clutch slave and also covers the drive sprocket completely. Also, what I have leaking is engine oil for sure.

There is a $6.00 seal inside the alternator I am going to replace this winter, hoping that takes care of the problem.
Yeah, I went into that area when I replaced the chain. (note to self: align the little drum that drives the speedo instead of crushing it)

Make sure it isn't the slave cylinder. Good luck.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #33
kingrukus
Noobish

Proper oil level check?

Hello there,

I am having a hard time trying to find the proper procedure for checking the oil level in my 95' CB1000. I have a service manual but not an owners manual, it doesn't say how to check it just what the capacity is. My question would be: do you check the oil level with the bike on the side stand or do I need to stand it upright for proper level? Most bikes I have owned in the past had a sight glass to look through not a dipstick, but with the site glass you had to stand the bike up into a riding position for correct check. Any help would be awesome, also...if anyone knows where I could score an owners manual that would be great too! Thanks!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #34
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,635
Quote:
Hello there,

I am having a hard time trying to find the proper procedure for checking the oil level in my 95' CB1000. I have a service manual but not an owners manual, it doesn't say how to check it just what the capacity is. My question would be: do you check the oil level with the bike on the side stand or do I need to stand it upright for proper level? Most bikes I have owned in the past had a sight glass to look through not a dipstick, but with the site glass you had to stand the bike up into a riding position for correct check. Any help would be awesome, also...if anyone knows where I could score an owners manual that would be great too! Thanks!
1. Center stand
2. Remove dipstick
3. Wipe
4. Reinsert dipstick (do not screw in)
5. Observe
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #35
kingrukus
Noobish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
1. Center stand
2. Remove dipstick
3. Wipe
4. Reinsert dipstick (do not screw in)
5. Observe
Thanks for the quick reply!

That poses a small problem. My center stand was removed by the PO to install a full Vance & Hines exhaust. Do you think I would get the same results with it on my rear stand? It lifts from under the swingarm.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #36
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 467
I used to check on mine by just kneeling down on the right side, using the frame and right grip I stood the bike up and held it vertical while I checked. Do all of my bikes with sight glasses like that. Leave the kickstand down so the bike could (hopefully) fall onto the kickstand if you let it slip. Vertical is a best guess obviously. I look at the seat to see if it appears 'flat' to estimate when I'm close to vertical.
D'oh, dipstick....... Do the same thing, just take the dipstick out before you lift the bike, then while it is vertical insert, remove and check level. Then drop the dipstick back in to lower the bike, screww in stick and go ride.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #37
Urban_Traveler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Hello there,

Owners manuals can be had for about 30 bux on ebay. I picked one up and it has helped quite a bit.

1995 CB1000
Urban_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #38
Urban_Traveler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Figured I'd post it here due to this being a CB1000 specific post...got together with a fellow member Bobdot on Wed. to put in a stage 1 jet kit...the bike is taken apart a bit due to getting a new tank and a few other goodies, so better now than never...

As she sits in my garage...

I'll post completed pics, but I'm doing my best to get pics of many in between steps...love this bike.

1995 CB1000
Urban_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #39
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,768
nice photography, man.

Keep it coming.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #40
bobdot
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Yea Dan, get over here with your fancy camera, I've got things to show...

bob.
bobdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #41
quint7
I don't need a title

I don't think I've heard of anyone jetting the CB due to the air box although a Stage 1 should be workable. The frame is designed in a way that prevents the use of pod filters so a Stage 3 type tune is not possible in that sense but I think I read about a guy or 2 using the CBR1000 air box after a modification. The CBR1000 engine is the same with different carbs, cams, CDI's and a 6 speed IIRC all of which can be swapped over.
My bike had a D&D slip-on and sounds amazing. My buddy had a full 2 brothers system on his. he might have had a little more speed but I weigh 100 pounds more than his scrawny ass so who knows. I no longer own the bike (another buddy owns it) and I never got into the carbs so I'm watching and hoping the jetting works well. I really wanted to do pods on mine but in the end I decided that doing the swap over to 17 inch wheels was a much better investment and it honestly does transform the bike. Mine stuck like glue in corners, my buddy with the 2 Bros and the stock 18" wheels had to really work to keep up in the twisties. 17" swap is bolt on, 94-95 CBR1000 rear wheel (same disc, lighter sprocket carrier or use stock) and 98-99 Blackbird (CBR1100XX) or VTR1000 (all years I believe) front wheel with CB1000 discs and axle mounted. Gives you 17x5.5 and 17 x 3.5. As I said I then bought a fender for a RC30 which is bolt on and for a 17" wheel. Just needs paint unless you like that Moonstone white color.
Here is another thread where I listed the info on a Hawk GT forum:
http://hawkgtforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21638
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #42
bobdot
n00b

Oddometer: 6
He was getting some decel pop due to the K&N and more free flowing slip-on so a stage one was in order. I've just now completed the 17" swap over you speak of, caught your post on the hawk forum. I'm interested to experiment with the CBR interchanges. Luckily I have a dyno to play with so I hope to document some actual results. Looking forward to seeing the difference between my bike and Urban_Traveler's once I get rolling again.

bob.
bobdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #43
quint7
I don't need a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdot View Post
He was getting some decel pop due to the K&N and more free flowing slip-on so a stage one was in order. I've just now completed the 17" swap over you speak of, caught your post on the hawk forum. I'm interested to experiment with the CBR interchanges. Luckily I have a dyno to play with so I hope to document some actual results. Looking forward to seeing the difference between my bike and Urban_Traveler's once I get rolling again.

bob.
Very nice Bob! I searched the net for months before finding a 100% confirmation of the wheels to use and now repost the info as much as possible so it will come up on search engines. I found it buried somewhere in a defunct Yahoo group.
Looking forward to the build. There was a guy out of Arizona that did an amazing build. I was lucky enough to be the middleman delivery wise between him and the guy in Canada who bought it. Didn't get to ride it but it was nice.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #44
TT RDHS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by quint7 View Post
Very nice Bob! I searched the net for months before finding a 100% confirmation of the wheels to use and now repost the info as much as possible so it will come up on search engines. I found it buried somewhere in a defunct Yahoo group.
Looking forward to the build. There was a guy out of Arizona that did an amazing build. I was lucky enough to be the middleman delivery wise between him and the guy in Canada who bought it. Didn't get to ride it but it was nice.
Thanks!

That was mine...

TT RDHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #45
quint7
I don't need a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT RDHS View Post
Thanks!

That was mine...

Yes sir! Wasn't sure if you were on the board much. work of art!