User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 836
Vancouver Island Day Trips

Hi all from Vancouver Island BC! I was born here, left for 6 1/2 years, came back, and I can't think of any place I'd rather be! There is so much to see and do in this world, but this is home to me, and I thought I'd share some of it with you.

I've been on 2 wheels my whole life, but only with a motor since spring 2011. My background was Observed Bicycle Trials and Freeride/ Downhill, and was how I commuted for 10 years, rain shine or snow. I even made studded tires when I lived in Prince George! This is my first motorcycle, a 2004 Suzuki DRZ400S. I have yet to own a car. Getting a motorcycle allowed me to re-discover my home in a way not possible by bicycle or 4 wheled machine, and I finally got to see what was on the other side of hills of the Cowichan Valley, Sooke and beyond.

I've been adding to this thread everytime I find something interesting to ride or see on the Island since fall of 2011. I used to update it quite regularily, but living in Victoria on the very south end of the Island, I don't want to bore you with the exact same places everytime I go out! Expect to see more postings in the warmer months when I can get out more. A lot of the backroads get cut off by snow, even though we have the mildest winter in Canada.

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 09:46 AM
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

My new TKC80's finally arrived! I picked them up on Saturday, and headed over to my buddy's Chris's place to mount them. We got the bike up on the "stand" ( a milk crate and cinder block! ) and prepared to remove the rear wheel. I wanted to check the state of the swing arm bushings, so I grabbed the rear wheel and shook it, and noticed some clunking......Oh bloody hell, a wheel bearing died! That explains the slight loss of power I was feeling!
I checked on it about 2 1/2 months ago, and it was a little bit rough on the non-drive side, but was nowhere near the point of disaster. I always seem to find these things out just before disaster strikes!

I got my buddy to phone the local shop, and they had one in stock! He went to pick it up for me, while I pounded on the outer race for a while. It took a good 1 1/2 hrs to push it out with the limited tools we had, but we got 'er done!

I have a feeling this new rubber is going to be sweet!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Off to Jordan River at 9:00 AM, It is a beautiful, sunny morning, but it is a damp 7 celcius out. Its time to start thinking about some heated gear! I hope the DRZ can handle a vest, and grips, they're on the wish list!
The plan is to meet up with Chris's friend Orillia on her Honda 200, and her friend Erin on a Kawasaki 750 Quad near Jordan River. We are then going to go up to Wye Lake for a short hike and lunch. This was a perfect opportunity to test my new tires and boots both on the road and off! I'm a little heavy on the rear brake with the new boots!

IMG_8758

IMG_8759
Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

We climbed and climbed for 20 minutes, to about 900 meters. There were a few spots where you had to keep your momentum up to make it, but despite its steepness, the road was in quite good shape. There is one spot where half of a log bridge is missing, which ends up being a good thing for ADV'ers and hikers! keeps all 4 wheeled traffic but quads out!
Now for a short hike! always a challenge in new MX boots!

IMG_8764

And the first Ice and Frost of the season! Of course, we are at altitude!

IMG_8766

Nice & slick!

IMG_8767

And we're there!

IMG_8770

It's a gorgeous spot!

IMG_8772
Old 10-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

It may be fall, but the bush has an abundance of food if you know what to look for! There were still wild blueberries, huckleberries, and Chanterelle Mushrooms about!
Erin is a landscaper, and is quite the amateur Botanist. He explains that the mushroom in his hand is playing the part of a host for another fungus that grows on top of them.

IMG_8773

Excellent local fare, smoked over a fire!

IMG_8775
Old 10-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Some nice suspended architecture

IMG_8783
Old 10-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Erin knew an old timer who used to bring kids out here to teach them how to climb trees properly with nothing more than rope and spurs! The place looks like it may have been a hunter's camp at one point.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

The lake is looking beautiful!

IMG_8776

IMG_8778

IMG_8781
Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Time to go for a paddle! ( The Canoe Report )

IMG_8786

IMG_8789

And time to test out Chris's GoPro for underwater filming!

IMG_8790

The lake has many narrow branches. It's a bit surreal in a way having never really paddled before, and it looks like you can really get lost! Beautiful sub-alpine scenery!

IMG_8794

IMG_8795

A quick stop on land

IMG_8796

Well, that was a fun excursion, and what could be better on a day like this?

IMG_8797
Old 10-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Well, its almost time to head back, the days are getting shorter!

IMG_8800

A few more fun trails before going home.

IMG_8801

IMG_8802

There was time to visit a Wild Cranberry bog on the way out! these things are great! I love finding out about new bush food!

IMG_8804

Well, that was a fun day trip! There will have to be a few more squeezed in before the hills fill with snow! Thanks for a fun day out guys!

IMG_8805
Old 10-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 252
awesome!! you guys are combining 2 of my favorite things. Bushcraft and motorcycles

Thanks for sharing
linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
VC Island

I had a chance to ride your beautiful Island back in July. Endless trails and logging roads; we wished we could have spent another week there.

RR in signature line.
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

October 22nd rain ride

went out for a ride today, weather looked promising, and then the skies opened! I haven't seen that much water on the road for a while. I was going to go fish the cowichan river, but having been pelted with rain, I aborted in favor of either Oliphant or Spectacle Lake. I pulled off onto the south Shawnigan turnoff, to try and find the back way in.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Aah, I knew I should've brought the Can Saw! Sometime ill take a photo, or better a video of it in action sometime!

IMG_8842

It was a bit of torture going under it, being uphill, but I still got thru!

IMG_8843
Old 10-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #15
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

The rain stopped, but its too late,my pants are soaked through! good to know they need waterproofing again before i go on a longer trip. So far my jacket is still holding out. I'm Loving the new TKC 80 Continental tyres! No trouble finding traction so far! a bit more float in the loose stuff, but still quite predictable. Theyre beautiful on pavement too! Much more assuring in the wet than my true knobbies!

Where is that lake???

I couldn't remember the way to the lakes! it's a maze of trails in here, I still had lots of fun here! i've been here a couple of times before, and i'm still trying to find my way around. Its about the best close-to-victoria site around for dirt!

It was a good fun day in the wet, I'm not cold yet, but i'm wet, so I'm going home before I end up with hypothermia! I'm gonna have to figure out how to manage this water business a bit better! Oh well, it was Good fun!