Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,262
Oregon B-24 Crash Site

I finally got accurate tracks to the crash site from one of assistants. Pictures to follow as soon as I can get them off his phone.

Below is information from BLM web site:

"On February 9, 1945 at approximately 10 PM a B-24 "Liberator" bomber crashed into a rocky ledge in the Pueblo Mountains in southeastern Oregon. The plane was on a "round robin" navigation training mission from Gowen Field near Boise, Idaho to Hamilton Field in California.

An eyewitness in Denio recalled seeing the plane fly over Pueblo Mountain on its return from California and, for some unknown reason, turn sharply to the left, narrowly missing the summit as it crossed back over to the southwest. This maneuver cost the plane 2500 feet in altitude and a few seconds later it crashed into the west-side of the mountain at the 7500-foot level. All 11 men on board were killed. The cause of the crash was never determined.

This summary of a little known event in Harney County history is a tribute to the men who lost their lives in this crash. The crash site is located due south of Steens Mountain just north of the Nevada border."
Attached Files
File Type: gpx B-24.gpx (184.3 KB, 535 views)

Countdown screwed with this post 10-18-2011 at 06:00 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Max Buffet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I finally got accurate tracks to the crash site from one of assistants. Pictures to follow as soon as I can get them off his phone. Below is information from BLM web site.

On February 9, 1945 at approximately 10 PM a B-24 "Liberator" bomber crashed into a rocky ledge in the Pueblo Mountains in southeastern Oregon. The plane was on a "round robin" navigation training mission from Gowen Field near Boise, Idaho to Hamilton Field in California.

An eyewitness in Denio recalled seeing the plane fly over Pueblo Mountain on its return from California and, for some unknown reason, turn sharply to the left, narrowly missing the summit as it crossed back over to the southwest. This maneuver cost the plane 2500 feet in altitude and a few seconds later it crashed into the west-side of the mountain at the 7500-foot level. All 11 men on board were killed. The cause of the crash was never determined.

This summary of a little known event in Harney County history is a tribute to the men who lost their lives in this crash. The crash site is located due south of Steens Mountain just north of the Nevada border.
Very interesting and moving. I don't live too far away and I like to visit the site. The GPX file won't open for me, could you give the Lat/Longs?
Thanks,
Max
Max Buffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
The crash site is located due south of Steens Mountain just north of the Nevada border.
I was literally right there last week. Would have been fun to check out. There are some nice trails in those canyons between Fields and Denio Junction. Don't know his name, but the guy who runs the store in Fields is a wealth of information. Best milkshakes ever!
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=bomber+meadow

Watch the linked PBS video.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote