Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #346
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 943
Scrub Pine Enduro. Was it tough? I'm curious to do one, but not sure I want to do it on my chubby bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
Man Reshmi is almost there with the baby, due on thanksgiving, and i hear story from people all the time that they had baby way before the due date, i just did the Scrub Pine Enduro, my first Enduro, it was super fun...

Might swing by one weekend ride to the Pines if thats the most i can do, but i think my season of offroad riding has ended for this year.....next year everything will start back with either Pine Barren or Lawton which ever comes first...
simonpig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #347
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
how many days from NY to OR doing the tat? How many days slabbing it back home? Thanks
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #348
simonpig OP
packin' heat

TO: 28 days from NY to OR (24 riding days, 4 rest/maintenance/repair days)
FROM: 14 days from LA to NY (10 riding days, 4 rest/maintenance/repair days)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
how many days from NY to OR doing the tat? How many days slabbing it back home? Thanks
Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 AM   #349
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,274
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #350
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,584
Glad you made it home ok. Looking forward to the rest of the RR.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #351
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Man it was super fun, u go into the race at the very end of the line, and stay there, and treat it just like a Dual Sport ride.....me and my frnd John stuck to each other after the first hour and half of me riding alone and had great fun....it was a lot of single track like 60 miles of single track.....
and yes u can do it on the 250WR my frnd was on a DRZ400 and he made it out fine....i cheated with being on a husky 250 :)
next year man lawton, rain or shine we will do the whole freaking 100 miles of it with all the hero section, we got all winter to get some iron muscle
Glad to see that ur home no and comfy.....u need to stop by sometime in Jan-Feb and meet Reshmi n I

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
Scrub Pine Enduro. Was it tough? I'm curious to do one, but not sure I want to do it on my chubby bike.
Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #352
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Wow, never thought about doing it that way. Come in last and not worry about angry 2 strokes buzzing behind you. Sign me up.

One day, I will come to Philly and see how things are done down there. Send my best to Reshmi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
Man it was super fun, u go into the race at the very end of the line, and stay there, and treat it just like a Dual Sport ride.....me and my frnd John stuck to each other after the first hour and half of me riding alone and had great fun....it was a lot of single track like 60 miles of single track.....
and yes u can do it on the 250WR my frnd was on a DRZ400 and he made it out fine....i cheated with being on a husky 250 :)
next year man lawton, rain or shine we will do the whole freaking 100 miles of it with all the hero section, we got all winter to get some iron muscle
Glad to see that ur home no and comfy.....u need to stop by sometime in Jan-Feb and meet Reshmi n I
Old 10-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #353
simonpig OP
packin' heat

9/19 (Monday)

(FYI: These post are not live/semi-live)

Herein begins the west coast experience and return trip to NY.
This deserves a proper chapter opening, and what better opening than the view from the apartment the following morning in Port Orford, OR.

photo P1010570.jpg

From Port Orford, OR to Richardson Grove State Park, CA

Woke up the next morning refreshed and took a walk down to the beach at around 10:30 just before checkout. After I walked down to the end of the beach and back, I packed and headed south towards San Francisco taking HWY 101 down the coast.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

I would stop along the way to enjoy the jagged and primordial beauty of the Oregon Coast.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

Explored a rock jetty, and struck some poses against the sea

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

It wasn't long before I cross into California and hit the Coastal Redwoods. At this part of the day, a fog rolled in though the sun was still shining through whenever it could. The air was quite chilly causing me to stop earlier on to put on my fleece, zip up all my vents and wear the balaclava.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

My plan was to camp at Richardson Grove State Park, a recommendation made to me by Bill and Linda, a couple I met staying at the Union Creek Lodge during the end of the TAT ride.

On the way there, standard issue trees gave way to forest giants. Its hard to capture the scale of these thing, but riding under them, everything is miniaturized. There is a road call the avenue of giants which in retrospect, I should have taken. It parallels the 101 and is around the Humbolt Redwoods State Park. Don't miss this road like I did. You're suppose to be able to ride through a couple of huge monster trees and I think its free.

photo P1010570.jpg

A t-rex could come crashing through the trees at anytime

photo P1010570.jpg
I would stop at the cheesy Chandelier Tree the next day farther on down the coast which cost $5. It was really lame, don't do it.

photo P1010570.jpg

Finally got to Richardson Grove around 6:00 and started to set up camp. I was desperately looking for firewood and stopped 2 sites down where I asked a guy named John where I could find some. He pulled his firewood from a massive downed Redwood and its bark just behind site and told me to have at it. After making camp and a fire, I head back over to Jon and his wife Chelon's campsite. There I share some wine and they, some food. Chelon recently found out she was with child, so they decided a road trip was in order while they were able. After several cups, I was nice and drunk and off to my campsite where I put every piece of bark I had into the fire. It burn brightly for the next several hours as I lay upon the picnic table staring up into bits of the night sky through the arms of the giant redwoods. WIth the light of the campfire illuminating the massive trunk, I felt safe and thought this must be what it was like to be a knight in the middle ages camping out before the next days battle. Super cheesy, I know, but that's what wine will do to you when you're underneath this majestic forest. Must be the tannins.

photo P1010570.jpg

After the flame died out, I stumble to my tent and sleep off the spirits.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:59 AM
Old 10-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #354
simonpig OP
packin' heat

9/20 (Tuesday)

The next morning I start up another fire to keep warm. I take my sweet time packing up. The day earlier, I didn't pay the steep campsite fee $35 due to the forms not being available, and thinking a Ranger would stop by to collect. No one ever did.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

The ride down the Coast is full of amazing scenery. Rough and wild wave slamming the rocky cliffs. Lighthouse no longer in service, but never the lesser for it. The ride down was twisty and curvy most all the way through. On a motorcycle, its fun, but in a pedestrian car, it would suck big time.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

Towards the end of the day, I get a little aggressive, lock the rear brakes up going into a left hand corner hot, and high side, at a very slow speed. The result of which was that my brake master cylinder cover was ground down at the edges, and I lose my left mirror. I sprain my right wrist, and thankfully nothing more.

photo P1010570.jpg

At around 7:50, I cross the golden gate bridge and I am in San Francisco. Call up my cousin Shane and and have dinner with him and his girlfriend Salisa at her mother's Thai restaurant. After catching up with family, I head over to my friend Junji's house in Northeastern San Francisco to roost.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 09:02 AM
Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #355
simonpig OP
packin' heat

9/21–9/23:
HANGING OUT IN SAN FRANCISCO

Spent the next three days catching up and seeing the sights around San Francisco, which I might add is a really small concentrated city. One strange aspect is the pockets of microclimate there — one part of the city might be nice, clear and sunny and then I would ride to southwest and it would be misty, foggy and chilly.

It was nice to be off the bike since my right wrist was pretty painful at this point from the previous days get-off. I was popping aspirin and applying medicated Salonpas bandages at every opportune moment. I could still twist the throttle but only comfortably when my hand was straight. There was limited mobility and strength in any other rotated position, if that makes any sense. Turning the wrist was also painful.

The other order of business was my rear tire was badly in need of replacement. I mailed ordered a tire from Bikebandit whilst Port Orford and had it waiting for me in SF. This would also be the first time I clean out the air filter. Surprisingly its not too bad for 6800 miles. Used dish soap and Mobil1 Synthetic Oil I had been carrying across the country to reoil the filter.

In the interest of keeping this thread riding focused I won't go into exhaustive detail about every little thing I did, so lets just push fast forward on the remote.

In the morning…

photo P1010570.jpg

My bike is still there… Phew.

photo P1010570.jpg

Roast duck hunger pangs. Need to see if San Francisco roast duck rivals New York roast duck… sorry to report, "New York Noodletown" still serves the best roast duck in the USA.

photo P1010570.jpg

Visiting Chinatown

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

Visiting Twin Peaks. The best view of San Francisco. It was cold and foggy but that makes for more drama

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

Dinner with my friend Junji. Delicious Salad.

photo P1010570.jpg

Doing chores

photo P1010570.jpg

Feasting on the mollusk and some chowda

photo P1010570.jpg

Checking out an arcade with vintage machines at Fisherman's Wharf

photo P1010570.jpg

Sweet 80s Star Wars vector video game

photo P1010570.jpg

Opium Den game/show. Wierd what you could get away with back in the day.

photo P1010570.jpg

Visited the Aquarium

photo P1010570.jpg

Alcatraz

photo P1010570.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 09:05 AM
Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #356
simonpig OP
packin' heat

9/24 (Saturday) – 10/2 (Sunday)
THE RIDE DOWN TO L.A + SOCAL EXPERIENCE

I set off at 10am for the Pacific Coast Highway with 2 possible plans. One was to camp out the Julia Pfieffer State Park in Big Sur. And the other was to head straight for L.A., which would mean a long day.

Cool rock next the ocean. Are we still on earth?

photo P1010570.jpg

The weather going down was windy and the skies apocalyptic. As I approached the State Park, I decided to push on as the fog was thick and I couldn't see the sights anyways. Passing by, I have no doubt that area is magical on a clear day.

photo P1010570.jpg

At elevation, the fog enveloped the road creating intermittent traffic.

photo P1010570.jpg

Arrived to LA around 10pm after battling through mist and fog. Stopped up to my friends house in Malibu, but he wasn't home. Didn't get cell reception, so had to stop at someones house to ask for directions and to borrow a phone. Turns out my friend Christian and his girlfriend were 15 miles further south watching the premiere of "Moneyball" at Malibu Theater. So I ride back down the canyon to the theater, and proceed to catch the rest of the movie -- didn't have to pay either and I only missed 15 or 20 minutes of it. Fantastic movie by the way.

After the movie, we load my bike up to his truck and head over to his house in the hills. Nice to be in a still, quiet and peaceful location after a long day on the bike. I sleep well.

photo P1010570.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 09:06 AM
Old 10-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #357
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Whilst in L.A…

I had a comfy mattress to sleep in, and my friends big white Swiss Sheppard would occasionally come down on occasions to sleep next the AC vent, and keep me company.

photo P1010570.jpg

Up in the hills, the atmosphere is very quiet and peaceful

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

Christian's got a Husky TE530. Super torquey torque monster. I rode it for abit and it doesn't turn anywhere near as nicely as my WR even with the SUMO wheels, due to the flywheel effect even though its close to 35lbs lighter. Might just be that I'm used to getting on the throttle earlier on my WR.

photo P1010570.jpg

He takes me around and shows me the hood. Famous Neutra house. Mid century modern chic. Not shown here, but we go by Wonderland Avenue, the site of some famous murders connected to Johnny Holmes. I wont go into details, look it up, or watch the movie "Wonderland" for the DL.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

Dinners at a Vietnamese Pho joint thats got no name on the front. Sorry, don't know what its called.

photo P1010570.jpg

Some random berrys shot from a plant in his property

photo P1010570.jpg

The dorky dog, Iago. He's got so many tricks, he needs his own TV show.

photo P1010570.jpg

Sunsets are better in the west.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

I visit the La Brea Tar Pits, and the LACMA to soak in some natural history and art.

photo P1010570.jpg

This would make a fantastic sleeve. Whaddya think… should I go for it? It would look badass.

photo P1010570.jpg

When Richard Serra does art, he likes to go big…

photo P1010570.jpg

I have lunch with my friend Michele and her friend Craig. She's been working hard on her first movie, "Matt Sheppard is a Friend of Mine." The both of them just got back from some remote shoot in BC, and were heading down to San Diego for another one. Lucky I was able to catch them. We dine at Djelina in Venice — the food was delightful as was their company.

photo P1010570.jpg
When in LA, one just has to visit the Hollywood sign. It would be blasphemy not to… right?

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

A pilgrimage to the Capitol Records Building.

photo P1010570.jpg

Keeping my friend Rani company on the way to get her whip detailed. In LA, your car is an extension of your home. You respect your home right? I help her choose Jasmine as the scent for her car… later we would regret the choice wishing we had gone with "new car." I think Rani is saying ,"Whu whuuttt?"

photo P1010570.jpg

Stopped in to see my homey, Paul. We recently lost the bid to keep Paul in NY. He is taking his talents to Socal and purchased a house in Silverlake with his lady. Always a pleasure to have facetime with Paul.

photo P1010570.jpg

One afternoon, Rani and I go to the Getty and visit the Garden. Its a really chill place of which the architecture reminds me of the 80's show Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. The garden alone make the visit worth the while. We were able to see a little of the Walker Evan in Cuba Exhibit before being shooed out of the building and onto the tram back to the parking lot. If you're ever in LA, I recommend this place highly.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

Rani took this one

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

One of the highlights of the trip was after a night on the town, the next day we stop into Wispa and spend a relaxing 4 hours sauna and hot/warm/cold Korean style bath. At the urging of my friends, I go for a full body exfoliating scrub which entails having a Korean dude thoroughly going over every part (sans junk) of your body with a fine loufa pad over and over and over again in the same area—this would become painful in certain areas such as your armpits, et cetera. Easy to think the guys is trying to torture you, but can't fault a brother for doing a good job. All of this takes place with a towel over my face and my junk. At one point he would give me a peek at the roll of dead skin littered all over the mat. I've never felt so clean in my life.

photo P1010570.jpg

Night in Hollywood. Nice graphics in the loo.

photo P1010570.jpg

Spend the last couple of days in Malibu.

photo P1010570.jpg

Playing on the beach

photo P1010570.jpg

Big sunsets

photo P1010570.jpg

Malibu Inn. We were "Doin' the Jane Fonda" at the Mickey Avalon show. VIP seats… that's how my homies roll in LA.

photo P1010570.jpg

Before I leave, we spend the day in Malibu riding a small motocross track. There would be the shooting of guns to take place later in the day, but I was not present to participate in the activities. Christian friend Jeff, a motocross rider stops by with an Kawi 80cc 2 stroke, and his Honda CR125 race bike and proceed to take a much flight. Everyone takes a turn on the 80cc as do I — my first time on a 2 stroke. I liked it, though I was revving the piss out of it. In the interest of preserving the motor, I was cut off after a lap.

Christian giving Gabriel a primer on riding.

photo P1010570.jpg

At one point, Jeff takes a spin on the WRR and jumps it the farthest its ever jumped (beside the time I flew it onto a tabletop at Englishtown Motocross) and in control — landing flat and sometimes nose high. I wasn't able to capture it, but it was impressive to say the least. There is an art to jumping and after seeing Jeff jump, I can blame the shock all I want for spitting me off because its sprung too heavily, but at a certain point, I need to look at my technique. Every time I took that jump, I was landing nose low and the shock was kicking me. Jeff was in control.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

With all that space, anything is possible right. Messing around with the clubs.

photo P1010570.jpg

It was hot out… at night we would curse the tree for blocking the magnificent view of the ocean. By day, we changed our tune.

photo P1010570.jpg

After a week, Los Angeles has been a wonderful experience thanks to good friends, great weather and the sweet socal vibes. But like a trout swimming upstream, a newborn turtle swimming out to sea, a migratory bird flying south I felt the east calling.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

On a monday morning as my friends shoot guns, ride motocross and dive for lobsters, I leave for Las Vegas.

photo P1010570.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 12:45 AM
Old 10-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #358
AJxr

Oddometer: 922
ok so what do all of these guys do for a living? i want in!

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #359
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Equipment Pack List

Had a request concerning a packing list

An (exploded) view of what I was carrying

photo P1010570.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 09:13 AM
Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #360
simonpig OP
packin' heat

TANK BAG: Wolfman Explorer Lite
This is where I keep things I need quick access to or that I access often.

photo P1010570.jpg

- Small bottle of Sunscreen 50 spf (part of my wrist is exposed to the sun)
- 12 or so earplugs (good for liasion to the TAT, and for general highway cruising)
- Standard 18", 21" tube, tubliss 21" tube, tubliss 18" tube
- Clif bars
- Beef Jerky
- USB cable (for charging Go Pro) + Gopro battery pack charger USB + battery
- Iphone USB cable
- Toilet paper (half a roll with core removed)
- Tube Patch Kit
- Assortment of Bandages, Neosporin
- SD Card, additional Go Pro battery (never used these)
- Lens spray cleaner, microfiber cloth -- for goggles and go pro

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 09:14 AM