User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #25141
RPKLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
WR "back door"

Reset mine from -3 to +2 and the bike went from willing to very eager. The EXUP and air injection is gone and the air box opened some. Now it runs like it should . Many thanks for the write-up.
RPKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #25142
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU View Post
I am at sea level and my bike was really warm from riding it at setting 1 but i put it back to 0 because I still have a lot of back pressure from the stock setup, you can adjust the idle on the throttle body.
I see. I have the Graves exhaust tip (was on the bike when I bought it, unfortunately) - no idea whether it makes any difference to the stocker, I kind of doubt it. I'd love to get a stock spark arrestor to get the bike back to stock.

Will have to look into where to adjust idle, seems really high on my bike.

Regarding other mods: I'm not planning on doing any performance mods, but rather optimize the bike for Adventure touring. Larger gas tank, Wolfman racks, seat, handguards for weather protection (Barkbuster Storm), R wheels.

Somebody wants to trade a Graves exhaust tip for a stock spark arrestor? Or just sell me the unused SA that is sitting in you garage for no good reason?

Btw: do I have to do anything special when installing a new tank on a California model?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #25143
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,166
Called Warp 9 today to ask about wheels and spokes.

I'm a cheap ass, and want to build dirt wheels for my X using my hubs.

They did not have what I was looking for.

But he said in about 2 weeks they will have complete sets available; Their own hub design that uses stock parts, comes with bearings, rotors and sprocket. Any color rim and hub @ just under $400 a wheel. F-Y-I for those looking for a X to R conversion.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #25144
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Fuel sloshing?
20# or so of gas. You'll get more sloshing from your camelback & it's a lot higher. My lunch & beer slosh more. I'd say more but its too hard to type on this stupid smart phone. How & why do you kids text on these things all day?
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:44 AM   #25145
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
Fuel sloshing?
20# or so of gas. You'll get more sloshing from your camelback & it's a lot higher. My lunch & beer slosh more. I'd say more but its too hard to type on this stupid smart phone. How & why do you kids text on these things all day?
They can text because they are super sensitive like "The Princess and the Pea". That's how they can feel fuel sloshing......
Old 10-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #25146
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,882
Check those bolts!

Just an FYI for those of you who have swapped kickstands for various reasons ranging from X-to-R swaps, extra lowered suspensions, or just people who ride a ton...

Went to ride to work the other day and my kick stand came up with a funky clunk. Looked down and one bolt was missing and the other was half backed out. That almost sucked hard... would hate to lose the damn kickstand riding to work or well anywhere really. New bolts ordered (I like using OE hardware) and will be getting loctite'd this time.

With the overwhelming response I got from my tire question I think I've decided to try a b-stone BT-003 rear along with the barely worn stock front I already have. $110 for just a rear is better than $250 for a set of street tires, hopefully it lasts better than the BT090 stock rear. Bridgestone says its supposed to thanks to multiple compounds while being stickier overall, but we'll see I guess. Hoping the softness will be a help with the temps falling too, making warmed up tires a more feasible reality.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #25147
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
With the overwhelming response I got from my tire question I think I've decided to try a b-stone BT-003 rear along with the barely worn stock front I already have. $110 for just a rear is better than $250 for a set of street tires, hopefully it lasts better than the BT090 stock rear. Bridgestone says its supposed to thanks to multiple compounds while being stickier overall, but we'll see I guess. Hoping the softness will be a help with the temps falling too, making warmed up tires a more feasible reality.
I have the BT-003's front and rear on my X. Awesome tire... tons of grip. I think I have about 1500 miles on them and they are looking pretty good. As a reference, I got about 3000 miles out of the stock tires, and actually should have changed them sooner since the rear was practically a slick. And just an FYI, from what I hear the BT-003 isn't that great in the rain, although I have no experience there so far.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #25148
YamRZ350
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I bought X wheels for my R and they came with the Conti SM specific tires mounted. Sizes were larger than stock, and I thought it hurt the handling of the bike. Grip was good in the dry, wet not so much. I do a good bit of commuting and wanted something good in the wet and would last a little longer. Stock sizes limit the choices as you're finding out.

I settled on Pirelli Sport Demon in the stock sizes. They're bias ply (boo) but work well in the dry and especially well in the rain. As a bonus, tire wear seems to be great.

I'm running Super Corsa racing take-offs on my 450, and they're really bad in the wet.(Like pull the seat cover out of your ass bad, pucker factor off the charts.) The 003's might not be as bad, but I bet any "racing" type tire might not be the best choice.

Last thing, most Pirelli's seems to have a nice soft carcass which I like and suits lightweight bikes well. I like and have used bridgestone's in the past, (on a R6 and R1) but they had really stiff construction. I don't know how well a tire meant for larger bikes will work for you. I'm anxious to hear how you like them.
YamRZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #25149
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 454
Anybody running a 150 in the rear or are most sticking with the stock 140??? Just going for grip (think Deals Gap trip and track days). Been awhile since I was running DOT's, but last I was in the game Pilot Powers were my top pick.

Maybe the BT003's in stock sizes???
Colorado 2012
UPAT 2011 2014
jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #25150
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
Fuel sloshing?
20# or so of gas. You'll get more sloshing from your camelback & it's a lot higher. My lunch & beer slosh more. I'd say more but its too hard to type on this stupid smart phone.
It's closer to 30 lbs but whose counting? You're right, there's no fuel sloshing with the big tank. I just imagined it. All that gas stays right where it's suppose to be on those gravel roads.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #25151
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daamud View Post
Called Warp 9 today to ask about wheels and spokes.

I'm a cheap ass, and want to build dirt wheels for my X using my hubs.

They did not have what I was looking for.

But he said in about 2 weeks they will have complete sets available; Their own hub design that uses stock parts, comes with bearings, rotors and sprocket. Any color rim and hub @ just under $400 a wheel. F-Y-I for those looking for a X to R conversion.

Looks to be a better deal than Wheeling, no??? I'm going to pull the trigger in R wheels very soon.......anyone see a reason to wait for the Warp 9 over the wheels that Wheeling offers????
Colorado 2012
UPAT 2011 2014
jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #25152
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgino157 View Post
Maybe the BT003's in stock sizes???
That's what I did on my X. Great tires.... more grip than I'll ever need. When I had my Ninja 250R I went slightly wider than stock in the back and honestly not sure it really made much of a difference on a 250. So on the X I just went with stock sizes.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #25153
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Since we're on the subject of x-tires, I've got a question: The SM Pro front wheel is a 1/2" wider than stock (3.5"vs.3"), but I'd already ordered a stock sized tire, so that's what I had mounted. Now the bike seems to want to fall into turns once you lean near the halfway point. Would a larger tire help with this since the rim is wider?

I'm running @ 26psi front and rear.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #25154
NeilW
SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer: 90
kickstand bolts

Same happened to me after my last weekend over-nighter ride a couple of weeks ago.The swingarm got scarred up by the kickstand hanging wrong.

This is my only failure in 9000 miles of hard riding.
Spare fuel pump at the ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Just an FYI for those of you who have swapped kickstands for various reasons ranging from X-to-R swaps, extra lowered suspensions, or just people who ride a ton...

Went to ride to work the other day and my kick stand came up with a funky clunk. Looked down and one bolt was missing and the other was half backed out. That almost sucked hard... would hate to lose the damn kickstand riding to work or well anywhere really. New bolts ordered (I like using OE hardware) and will be getting loctite'd this time.
'08 WR250R
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
NeilW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #25155
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 261
i am really happy with my wheels from wheeling, stock hubs laced to black sm pro rims, spacers, sprockets and rotors even includes the bolts, forrest @ wheeling has my vote! you get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgino157 View Post
Looks to be a better deal than Wheeling, no??? I'm going to pull the trigger in R wheels very soon.......anyone see a reason to wait for the Warp 9 over the wheels that Wheeling offers????
Attached Images

coresports is offline   Reply With Quote