Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #61
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
I'm looking at the Wolfman stuff and liking it a lot, just one question...

Being kind of crap and liking the occasional lie down while I'm offroad I've found the KTM rear racks double well as protection, will the Wolfman racks offer the same heavy duty peace of mind?

Thanks!

I cant answer your question but I can say that I had the same questions... I answered my own question by getting racks that I knew were sturdy to mount my Expedition dry bags to. I ordered the Happy Trails SU racks that I have heard are very sturdy! and then plan to mount my bags to them. I figured it also gives me more of a wide variety of options down the road if I ever wanted to order some Aluminum Panniers from Happy Trials. my 2c...
Old 10-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #62
Bonsai Elephant
Barrus Vegrandis

Oddometer: 18,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I cant answer your question but I can say that I had the same questions... I answered my own question by getting racks that I knew were sturdy to mount my Expedition dry bags to. I ordered the Happy Trails SU racks that I have heard are very sturdy! and then plan to mount my bags to them. I figured it also gives me more of a wide variety of options down the road if I ever wanted to order some Aluminum Panniers from Happy Trials. my 2c...
Nice, I'll take a look at that, thanks!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #63
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 408
I am currently torn between a pair of hard bags and a pair of these expedition WM bags, combined with a duffel.

Does anyone regret buying wolfman over hardbags?

It seems as though a lot of people turn to WM for luggage needs, everyone shares the same great responses.

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #64
apexeric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Expedition Dry

I chose Wolfman Expedition Dry over hard bags for two reasons. First, since most of my motorcycle travel is long one day trips with occasional weekend trips I felt that the cost factor of Wolfman Bags compared to a hard bag and rack setup was more beneificial. But then again I ride a KLR - every thing we do is on the cheap .

Second, the Wolfman racks for a KLR are incredibly easy to install/remove. Ther are three bolts per rack to remove and reinstall. Mounting/dismounting the racks takes about five minutes. So if I'm not going on a trip the racks are off in no time. Also, I felt that the Wolfman Expedition Dry set up cut donw on the weight compared to a hard bag set up.

So for the Wolfman Expedition Dry has held up remarkably well and I am satisfied with their quality and value.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #65
beergut
Thumper

Thanks for the input. I'm with you 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DIY rear top rack
Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #66
sonoran
aint got time fo dat

Oddometer: 20,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
I'm looking at the Wolfman stuff and liking it a lot, just one question...

Being kind of crap and liking the occasional lie down while I'm offroad I've found the KTM rear racks double well as protection, will the Wolfman racks offer the same heavy duty peace of mind?

Thanks!
I had HT racks/Wolfman bags on my 950 Adv, it's been dropped plenty and both the bags and rack held up great. My new 990 has the new Wolfman racks and they appear to be just as solid and offer as much protection as the HT racks.

Either way is a good setup.

I only wish the Expedition bags were a bit bigger for those of us with larger offroad bikes.

sonoran screwed with this post 10-24-2011 at 08:56 PM
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #67
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,184
I had the Expedition Dry Bags on my stock Buell Ulysses XT racks to save some weight and streamline the airflow on the bike. Also put four of the fuel bottle carriers on and could take about a gallon of extra fuel along without impacting the carrying capacity of the bags. It was a very efficient combination for the Uly and the bags are top quality.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #68
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
I don't care for the Huge Happy Trails panniers that came with my 1150 GS .I have the old style rail racks that I added some aluminum struts to accomadate the Wolfman Expedition bags with 4 holsters and bottles . I wish Berg made a kit for the 1150 . I have a welder and I guess I could buy Bergs hoops ,but I am lazy . In any case I have the Expedition saddle bags ,expedition tank bag large ,small and large expedition duffel bags . I am going to order a small Expedition tank bag for the more intenst off road outings. The Expedition line holds up pretty well .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy

Snowbound screwed with this post 10-29-2011 at 11:26 AM
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:58 AM   #69
darkhelmetnl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I've used my Wolfman Epedition Dry saddle & duffle bag on a trip of about 21.000km through Africa

Overall i'm happy with the Wolfman.
Pros:
- It's light
about 2,3 kilos for the saddle bags

- Absolutely waterproof
had rain pouring down, drizzle, foggy nights at the coast, but i dare say not a drop entered

- durable
even though some of the glued material came loose, it didnt really affect the use. Scraping it along a rough brick wall, sharp fence or just dropping the bike (at low speed) on a rocky gravel road, the bags didnt tear

- not too big, which makes you take too much crap
- good service
I emailed Wolfman directly during my trip about the glued parts coming loose. The reply said this isnt supposed to happen and that i could look into repairing it with barge cement. Further emails about warranty/replacement didnt give any replies. I sent an email to Windingroads where i bought the bags from. They called with Wolfman and within a few days a new set was on the way! So overlal very happy with the service.

- they are lockable
I used an adjustable cable lock. I ran the cable through the plastic loops of the bag and around the luggage racks. This secures the bags to the racks, and prevents curious people from opening them easily. Just 340grams a piece, and it did the job superb!

See top picture for an idea how the cables are routed through the bag.
http://www.lifeventure.co.uk/htm/sec...able-lock.html

Cons
- the stiffeners are in the way when putting in stuff, but they have their purpose

- the strap that goes over the opening, i ended up not using. Didnt add that much in my view, and if the bags were full, they werent long enough to use.

- the seams came loose on both bags. Not caused by too much weight and no crashes or falls. The glued parts just let go.

- on the luggage rack i had, the bags didnt keep a very good position. The straps that fix the bags to the rack kept sliding form their position. This affected the shape of the bags, and was especially annoying when the bags werent stuffed to the top, So i guess icould modify the rack, to make it a bit taller to match the height of the saddle bags, and make some sliding stops for the velcro mounting points. See picture below. The bags are taller than the rack, the velcro mounting points slide across the rack bars. Of course this wont be a problem with the Wolfman racks, i presume...

- also, close to the coast, the metal buckles started rusting instantly. Maybe this can be improved by making them of stainless steel instead of chromed metal.

In general it got me through Africa, without being a pain or hassle, so yeah, i think i can say it's proper stuff :)

darkhelmetnl screwed with this post 10-29-2011 at 04:01 AM Reason: Improving post
darkhelmetnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #70
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Here you go...

I finally got my Happy Trail SU racks and Wolfman Expedetion bags for my 800XC. Pictures are below with a little bit of information above the picture. Also there is NOTHING in the bags but air. I also wanted to use my Wolfman Large Rollie bags to attach to the sides when I need that little bit of extra room.

Large rollie bag is black and on the left. This will work perfect for the long rides and will keep the weight close to the bike.

Pic without Rollie Bags.

Pic from the back. I will use the gap between the left rack and the bike to mount an external gas tank/can.

Front View

Wolfman says that the straps need to go from one bag to the other. I didn't want straps across my rear seat so I took full advantage of the side grab bars. I switched a buckle on each bag and it works fine. This should work out great especially with two up riding.

The SU racks have this plate that goes across the top of their rack. Instead of wrapping the velcro straps around the rack like I did on the bottom ones I just simply fed it through the little slat and connected the straps in the back. It holds just fine. I also put a little safety wire through the straps and connected it in the center just for a piece of mind.

So far I'm happy with the set up. The real test will be the first good ride with them on. Overall the set up will hold just as much as aluminum bags and be much much lighter. What do you think?
Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #71
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,087
I love mine and would buy them again
Attached Images

DONATE TO ADVRider
MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #72
fbj913
I ride

I have the happy trails racks with the Wolfman Expedition bags... I wanted to keep my bags on my bike all the time. The problem with the bags is they have no form to them without anything in them. So I wanted to add something to inside of them to add some form to the bags. I chose a 5 gallon plastic trash can to do the job. Description and pics below. So far I am happy with the set up!

I cut the top off and cut a slit down the side so I could fit them inside the bags.

I left trash cans inside the bags for a few days and realized the sharp edges were somewhat showing through on the bags so I added duck tape to the edges to get rid of the sharp edges.

Final product.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #73
beergut
Thumper

You must be a closet KLR rider. lol.

That's awesome. I'd do that....and I own a KLR.

DIY rear top rack
Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #74
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergut View Post
You must be a closet KLR rider. lol.

That's awesome. I'd do that....and I own a KLR.
Closet KLR rider? Sorry I dont follow.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #75
beergut
Thumper

Meaning you are a secret KLR lover...KLR's seem to be not real welcomed on this site.

DIY rear top rack