User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #9121
basepc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
T800 + Gravel

Mr. Eakins was wondering about the T800 and "off-road" handling - I have a T800 and done some limited gravel riding with it so far. With stock Pirelli's I was pleased with how it handled loose marbles, washboard and potholes, it was composed considering I was worried about dumping my new bike. The more I was off road with it the faster I was riding. I rode a Weestrom fitted with Anakee 2's in similar terrain and I liked the T800 better, it felt more planted and instead of sitting "in" the bike as per the Strom I felt to be more on top of the situation which inspired more confidence. I have bought some Shinko 705's to replace the Pirelli's so that I can explore the T800's off-road capabilities further. I won't be looking for single track with the T800 but I won't be shying away from the 2 track. As background my other dual sport experiences have come from a KLR (poor), a KTM 640 Adventure (fun off road but very painful on road so more of a single sport for me) and a DR650 (my favorite dual sport). I bought the T800 for touring with my wife, she likes to bring more goodies on a trip than I want to subject the DR to. Mr. Eakins I hope this helps a bit, I have appreciated your input here on ADV, thanks.
basepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #9122
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtphyre View Post
Also, does anyone know why the cigarette lighter power on the Tiger is so small? Do they make adaptors that will allow this to power my GPS which has a larger, typical U.S. cigarette sized charger?
You betcha. The Triumph sockets are the same as BMW and Powerlet. Just look for "powerlet adapters" and you will find many that convert to your connector of choice. You may also find one that is direct to your GPS, as in my case I use a Powerlet to Garmin 4-pin adapter.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #9123
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,981
Quote:
Thanks. Do you think the aluminum is prone to rust any more than the anodized silver?
Aluminum does not rust. Rust is iron oxide.

Bare aluminum will naturally oxidize in a very thin layer that's what you see when you look at any untreated aluminum.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #9124
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Well...as you already know - Touratech (Zegas) aint cheap. I just replaced my stock triumph side cases with 38L, black, Zega pro's. I prefer top loaders - much more efficient use of space. They are well made & the folks at "Cycoactive" (Touratech USA) are real professionals & great to work with. I used the 'Happy Trail's' symetrical SU racks to mount cases. I think SW Motec also has pretty good stuff, but their cases won't work with anything but their racks, & I prefered HT. Is Touratech worth it ? I think so - they're a highly functional, premium product, which I expect to last as long as the 800. (unless of course I use 'em as frame sliders!) They also look great! But everyone has their own sense of "value" - so they were worth it to me - but not perhaps for others. I buy good stuff - and dont expect to buy it often. Good luck. PS; if you send email address I'll send pics. All i have is iphone - so dont post on site. johnpdaly@comcast.net
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #9125
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
Just Installed my Madstad screen - peace and quiet at last . The frigg'n stock screen was driving me insane kinda felt like someone attached a flag to my helmet .

Screen is fully adjustable for height and angle (with a really wide range of adjustability), and it's got a good laminar effect going. Small detachable metal wind deflectors on the lower sides are included. Could be better looking, of course, but my need for sanity far outweighed my need for vanity.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #9126
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
Well...as you already know - Touratech (Zegas) aint cheap. I just replaced my stock triumph side cases with 38L, black, Zega pro's. I prefer top loaders - much more efficient use of space. They are well made & the folks at "Cycoactive" (Touratech USA) are real professionals & great to work with. I used the 'Happy Trail's' symetrical SU racks to mount cases. I think SW Motec also has pretty good stuff, but their cases won't work with anything but their racks, & I prefered HT. Is Touratech worth it ? I think so - they're a highly functional, premium product, which I expect to last as long as the 800. (unless of course I use 'em as frame sliders!) They also look great! But everyone has their own sense of "value" - so they were worth it to me - but not perhaps for others. I buy good stuff - and dont expect to buy it often. Good luck. PS; if you send email address I'll send pics. All i have is iphone - so dont post on site. johnpdaly@comcast.net
I recommend buying local when possible and Touratech is local when your in Germany;) Plus he needs them soon and HP will take way to long to ship.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #9127
deeno360
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I just bought a new Givi topcase after taking some advice from a buddy of mine, and Givi topcases are really hard to beat as far as style and durability.....total top of the line deal.
deeno360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #9128
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
The Givi topcase mates up with the tigger nicely ! Want some stock Tiger sidecases to go with them ? Though I would NOT recommend them if you're going to leave them on for any serious "off roading'.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #9129
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Also, does anyone know why the cigarette lighter power on the Tiger is so small? Do they make adaptors that will allow this to power my GPS which has a larger, typical U.S. cigarette sized charger?
While you're visiting Touratech ask about this as they do the adaptor cables you're looking for.

The anodising process of Aluminium makes the surface both harder (less prone to scrathing) and more corrosion resistant.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #9130
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,153
As for panniers, I'll stick a vote in for Givi. The beauty is that you'll have panniers for life and simply move them from bike to bike with a different fitting kit.
I've had E36 cases for quite a few years and they're tough. So tough, in fact, that my Tiger955i landed on one a few years back and rather than the cases breaking, the frames bent!
This is what they look like on the 955i
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #9131
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,688
Help!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post17131157
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #9132
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Anyone install the Triumph center stand? The directions say step one put on a paddock stand.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #9133
Birdy68
Scared, but wants to

Oddometer: 90
Well - my fed-up's hurting from the screen.... So I've been looking around for a loooooooong time.
Strange this is - my dealer fitted the new Speed Triple Flyscreen onto the Tigger 800!

I'm not 100% on it's looks - but when I took it for a test ride - I WAS SOLD!
A simple constant flow of air in my face. No buffering - No head shake - No plastic sheet shaking on top....
Pure simple wind - smooooooooth wind!

I've also ordered the Speed Triple additional tinted screen that fits on top of the fly screen - that will give it a little more lift:

Will report back once it's fitted.

Oh - and btw - if you have to ask about the price - you can't afford it! Believe me - it's bludy expensive all together.
Birdy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #9134
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I'll bite. How much ????

It has a very lethal look. Will it break away before it impales you in a crash?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #9135
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
Anyone install the Triumph center stand? The directions say step one put on a paddock stand.
Did it last week. Bit of a PIA to be honest but yes, you need a stand of some sort since the first thing you do is take the side-stand off.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote