Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #9166
ScrambDaddy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato View Post
Kinda looks like an angry bird rather than a tiger. I like it though.
It was my first solution, but this works better:

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...1t:429,r:4,s:0
Bike history: Z900, RD400, Z1000LTD, GPZ1100, FT500, XS1100, VF1100C, KLR600, CB1100F, V-Max, VX800, XL650V, GSF1200, R1200R, XL700V, Scrambler900, Scrambler900EFI, TDM900, Tiger800, Z750S, DL1000 V-Storm.
ScrambDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #9167
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Does anyone have a spare ait filter they could overnight me today, and I'll get one back to you later this week? I need to get my bike on the road for a couple days before leaving on a trip this weekend, and this is where I'm at

Thanks
Called around and can't find a dealer with a filter in stock. Called triumph USA, and they're back ordered I mean, wtf? They don't think people ride these bikes

Anyone have a filter? Is there an aftermarket option? I tried looking on k&n site, and they're not showing anything.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #9168
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
New pic of the Triumph 1200ADV released

Excellent looking bike.
Check the passenger foot pegs.
Finally some sort of solution.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #9169
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
I agree - this bike is definitely on the street side of adventure touring. It looks like it attacts gravity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
I wonder if there will be multiple versions released. I'm concerned about the wheels not being spoked.
I hope you guys are wrong. They better release an offroad XC version! I say they will if they want to continue thier trend! They will probably release the XC version next. They better!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #9170
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Does anyone have a spare ait filter they could overnight me today, and I'll get one back to you later this week? I need to get my bike on the road for a couple days before leaving on a trip this weekend, and this is where I'm at

Thanks

Call around to different dealers

Edit:

Quote:
Called around and can't find a dealer with a filter in stock. Called triumph USA, and they're back ordered I mean, wtf? They don't think people ride these bikes

Anyone have a filter? Is there an aftermarket option? I tried looking on k&n site, and they're not showing anything.
Sorry didnt see this. Call Engle Motors in Kansas City MO. I bet they have one.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #9171
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I hope you guys are wrong. They better release an offroad XC version! I say they will if they want to continue thier trend! They will probably release the XC version next. They better!!!
Press release mentions spoked wheels as an option.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #9172
fbj913
I ride

I went on a quick last minute 2 day ride with two friends to Arkansas this weekend. Oh man was it fun! I didnt want to come home. There were 2 new Tiger XC's on the trip and one 1200GSA. We rode just short of 1000 miles of which were almost 500 miles of dirt. My impression of the Tiger XC is now 10 out of 10. We went from railing corners to gnarly jeep/ fire roads, washed out creek beds and so on. The Tiger did awesome. You will notice that I strapped 2 large Wolfeman Rollie bags to the each side of the bike. I used the straps and attached them to the frame. It worked brilliantly! I started the trip with a new tire! Got 4000 out of the last one. I also realized that I took a lot of pics of the right side of the bike. Not sure why...? I should have some video coming soon too. It turns out the Go Pros didnt work some of the time. Oh well enjoy.

Woke up to this at 5 am. It rained all night, made the ground soft and then my bike fell over.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #9173
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTiger View Post
It's not a dirt bike, so why would they be spoked? Look at the location of the muffler...Clearly it is meant as a street bike...like the Tiger 1050 before it...
Not necessarily; looks like either a 19" or maybe even a 21" front wheel. This immediately puts it in competition with the Yam 1200 Tenere, KTM 990 and BMW R12GS. Cruiser Class ADV/Touring!

So far no one has mentioned a very major design element on this new bike:

Single Sided Swingarm!!! Triumph only use it on the Speed Triple. I wonder how it will hold up off road?

AND

Shaft Drive??
I notice not one photo angle showing the left side of the bike. Is this thing Shaft Drive? God, I hope not. That right there would add about 30 lbs. to the weight.

Cast wheels can be very tough, depending how they are built. My DL1000 Vstrom wheels were truly amazing ... as tough as any dirt bike wheels I've ever seen. Baja tested. Not like the old days. Heavy as Hell but strong.

If Triumph manage to keep the weight down (like they did with the 1050), then the big Tiger could be a player.

Obviously ... won't be as nimble or capable off road as the Tiger 800XC, but should compete well in the "Freighter Class" of ADV bikes.
Me? I'll take the 800 ... but not until Triumph knock off another 20 lbs. or so. It's too heavy for an 800 IMHO.

Once you've loaded it up with bash guards, racks, luggage and gear ... you end up riding an over weight Pig that becomes a liability off road and not easy to handle. I've been all through this with BMW GS's and my V-Stroms. I'll stick with a Thumper for time being.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 10-24-2011 at 10:22 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #9174
cug

Oddometer: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Cast wheels can be very tough, depending how they are built. My DL1000 Vstrom wheels were truly amazing ... as tough as any dirt bike wheels I've ever seen. Baja tested. Not like the old days. Heavy as Hell but strong.
They must be very different from the soft as warm butter DL650 rims then. One drop (roughly 5mph) and the front was bent.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #9175
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrambDaddy View Post
It was my first solution, but this works better:

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...1t:429,r:4,s:0

Looks good, have you mounted one on your bike?
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #9176
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
They must be very different from the soft as warm butter DL650 rims then. One drop (roughly 5mph) and the front was bent.
You obviously have special talents! I have no idea how anyone could "Bend" a wheel from a 5 mph drop ... on any bike!

I never bent my V-strom wheels, I put a couple dings in them. I never crashed the bike, if you crash, things change. All bets off.

On my three Baja and Mexico rides I hit embedded rocks at 70 mph. That is what it took to put a minor dent in the V-Strom's DID wheel. I hit dozens of similar obstacles so hard I thought sure the bike would break in half. I only put in two dents in 1000's of miles of torture. Not bad.

Perhaps the DL650 has different spec wheels? Or Suzuki changed the wheels? I had an '02 DL1000. I was shocked at the abuse they took.

I've also hit some bad stuff on my 1050 Tiger ... hard. (not on purpose)
No dents!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #9177
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Not necessarily; looks like either a 19" or maybe even a 21" front wheel. This immediately puts it in competition with the Yam 1200 Tenere, KTM 990 and BMW R12GS. Cruiser Class ADV/Touring!
It's a 19" front.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #9178
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
Looks good, have you mounted one on your bike?

My guess is that it's a stock windsceen, cut down, and painted. (Probably on the inside.) I think it looks great! I'm thinkin' about it... Ken
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #9179
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:

So far no one has mentioned a very major design element on this new bike:

Single Sided Swingarm!!! Triumph only use it on the Speed Triple. I wonder how it will hold up off road?

AND

Shaft Drive??
I notice not one photo angle showing the left side of the bike. Is this thing Shaft Drive? God, I hope not. That right there would add about 30 lbs. to the weight.

If Triumph manage to keep the weight down (like they did with the 1050), then the big Tiger could be a player.

Obviously ... won't be as nimble or capable off road as the Tiger 800XC, but should compete well in the "Freighter Class" of ADV bikes.
Me? I'll take the 800 ... but not until Triumph knock off another 20 lbs. or so. It's too heavy for an 800 IMHO.

Once you've loaded it up with bash guards, racks, luggage and gear ... you end up riding an over weight Pig that becomes a liability off road and not easy to handle. I've been all through this with BMW GS's and my V-Stroms. I'll stick with a Thumper for time being.
Its a shaft drive but i'll stick with my XC!!
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #9180
cug

Oddometer: 4,178
Quote:
You obviously have special talents! I have no idea how anyone could "Bend" a wheel from a 5 mph drop ... on any bike!
Possibly. Maybe it was 10mph. Just a get off due to target fixation. It wasn't me though but my poor wife with her bike. Front rim wasn't straight to the point it induced serious weave.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote