Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #121
Corbets
Gravity Slave

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
I have the SW-Motech centre stand fitted, works well.
I go with the factory center stand myself. Quite happy with it. When I did my "basics" training course, even the instructors were amazed by how easy it is to put it up on the center stand (though, as a bunch of old men, it might just be that they weren't used to anything built after 1990).
Corbets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #122
Candiya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
I have the SW-Motech centre stand fitted, works well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbets View Post
I go with the factory center stand myself. Quite happy with it. When I did my "basics" training course, even the instructors were amazed by how easy it is to put it up on the center stand (though, as a bunch of old men, it might just be that they weren't used to anything built after 1990).
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of the convenience of a center stand, but I'm trying to keep the bike as light as possible. Any idea how much weight the center stand adds - either the SW-Motech or factory version?
Candiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #123
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317
Has anyone fitted barback risers on their 800R? If so, details please? I tried one and my arms are stretched to the max. The brake line would definitely need to be longer.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #124
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 833
Rox risers are quite a bit less expensive than the Verholens (although I like the look of the Verholens better) and the Rox are more adjustable. I have them on my 12GS and have been happy with them.

Rumor has been going around for about a month now that BMW won't bring the F800R into the US again for 2012. They started a $900 rebate (free ABS) in September to move the inventory. I've been scanning inventory and the new 2012s are showing up across the country and not a single 2012 F800R.

So...

...today I pulled the trigger. I didn't get the color I like so I guess I'll paint the two tank panels and have the only silver/black bike in America - or anywhere else for that matter. The rest: BMW centerstand, ZTechnik windscreen, Rox risers, Wunderlich titanium crash bars for now. Later: Denali LED lights mounted on the forks, LED tail light, hyperlites, Wunderlich or Touratech cooler screen, and personalized plate since I noticed EFFIT was available.

Thanks for posting the tank bag mount! I have the same bag laying around here and wouldn't have dared tapping the plastic tank panel but WTH now I'm inspired. That thing is so high I thought any strap bag would look ridiculous.

This will be my daily commuter. I passed on a screamin' deal on a Street Triple because it just didn't fit right. Now I just have to ship this baby about 3000 miles and wait until spring to get out. Can't wait!
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #125
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
hi, i'm trying to decide on a replacement bike and two of the current front runners are the f800r and the triumph street triple r.

my main concern with the f800r is the non-adjustable front suspension. the triumph seems to have a 'better' suspension. anyone rode both and has a comparison to share?

i prefer a 'stiffer' suspension,
ferenc
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #126
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

You can ride a demo at BMW of San Francisco. Those guys are great to work with.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
Old 10-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #127
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBMR View Post
You can ride a demo at BMW of San Francisco. Those guys are great to work with.
thanks, still working on that - i may have mentioned this before, but the demo rides have some fine print with bmw dealers. some are more up fron abou it than others.

the sf bmw web page says that i'd have to assume 100% liability for me and their bike. my geico insurance says that my policy could not cover a bike that is not mine.

even though i've been riding clean for a long time (ssssssssssshhhhhhhhh!), there could always be that one time ... and plastic of a new bike is pricey,
ferenc
ps i'm currently waiting for the 'liability' verbiage from another dealer, so that i can run it by geico.
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #128
Duck Dodgers
Rock n Roll Refugee

Oddometer: 485
Non-owner Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkovacs View Post
thanks, still working on that - i may have mentioned this before, but the demo rides have some fine print with bmw dealers. some are more up fron abou it than others.

the sf bmw web page says that i'd have to assume 100% liability for me and their bike. my geico insurance says that my policy could not cover a bike that is not mine.

even though i've been riding clean for a long time (ssssssssssshhhhhhhhh!), there could always be that one time ... and plastic of a new bike is pricey,
ferenc
ps i'm currently waiting for the 'liability' verbiage from another dealer, so that i can run it by geico.
If your really jones'n to do some test rides. NON owner policies are available. You could get a month for as low as.... actually about 20$. Maybe a week could be purchased. They are used (non-owner policies) by renters and leasers.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #129
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Hey Lost Rider-

Did you give up on the handguards? I thought I read somewhere you had a set of Acerbis you were going to put on. If you mount them, can you post the model number and where you got them? I'm having a hard time finding anything for the F800R.
IBA #47244
Old 11-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #130
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBMR View Post
Hey Lost Rider-

Did you give up on the handguards? I thought I read somewhere you had a set of Acerbis you were going to put on. If you mount them, can you post the model number and where you got them? I'm having a hard time finding anything for the F800R.
Try looking up the Acerbis Dual Road handguards. They'll probably do.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #131
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

2012 f800r

Hot off the presses - this from Bob's BMW...

"Hello again, it looks like there are 3 colors of the F800R importing for 2012. They will also come with painted front fenders and the sport flyscreen as standard equipment now. White/black, red/white, and mineral silver will be the 3 colors offered. Pricing not released yet but I'll guess it's not more than 1-2% inflation over last years model."
IBA #47244
Old 11-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #132
jonpurdy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I've been riding my F800R for three months and I'm still in love with it! Very comfortable, very flickable around the corners, and overall a brilliant motorcycle. The only problems that I've noticed are the handlebar vibration past 5000rpm when accelerating (it seems to settle once at speed) and the analog speedo (which is personal preference).

Has anyone done serious touring on it? I've only done a single overnighter and plan on riding across North America next summer.
jonpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #133
Candiya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
The vibration seems to be a pretty well-known characteristic of this bike - at least, I've seen a bunch of threads on other forums about it. Solutions that seem to be recommended most often are gel grips and bar ends. I haven't tried these options yet but probably will next season.

For more info, try this thread from the f800 riders forum: http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...eds-over-80mph

Good luck - and please report back if you find something that works well for you!
Candiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #134
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
Has anyone done serious touring on it? I've only done a single overnighter and plan on riding across North America next summer.
I wouldn't call it serious touring, but I did 5 days in France in the summer on mine, no problems or issues. I've ridden it pretty hard since I've had it, and the vibes do seem to be settling, either that or my skin is getting thicker.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #135
jonpurdy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Candiya, thanks for the info. I'll have a look and post back if with my findings.

Joe Bar, that sounds great! I can't wait for spring when I can do some more serious trips. I've already planned for a ride to Northern Canada in May and across the States in June. The only remaining question is whether my BMW luggage roll will be enough or whether I should pick up the panniers. We'll see, I guess!
jonpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote