Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #31
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
I've not been able to find such an adapter. The Yaesu CT-91 cost $11.95. Once you've made that step it doesn't matter that the SR10 interface is the ICOM cable. The solution works and is submersible.

Cyclebots is giving full credit for the Yaesu cable. I'm just try to save Yaesu VX submersible series owners the inconvenience.

If someone can post a link to the adapter Dagwood mentioned I'd appreciate it.
I dont have a link, but I saw this problem a while back as I was looking at the Sena website on the SR. On the options page with the pics of the connectors, I saw the Yaesu was different than my submersible connector.

At that time I thought it was a case of old vs new plugs for the Yaesu. I called Sena a couple of times trying to get them to carry the submersible/new plug, but pretty well go a "take it or leave it, thats what we got" reply.

I then thought to call "Texas Towers" radio supply and the salesman on th e phone said Yeasu maks an adaptor plug tha goes from submersible back to reg plug. FWIW
Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #32
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone with a SR10 got a full blown report on how these things work?? Especially the bike to bike via 2 way radio.

I want to do three things with my SMH-10 and my SR10:

1) I want to be able to talk BT rider to pass with my wife when we're 2up, the basic operation of the SMH. We generall leave the mic "open" as we talk alot.

2) Talk bike to bike with fellow riders with similar radio setups as I have. And use the PTT switch to transmit.

3) I need to be able to recieve phone calls on my IPhone 4, weather paired to the SMH or paired to the SR or wire attached to the SR, don't know which will be best.

Can I do all three of these things without any problems???
Old 10-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #33
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
Anyone with a SR10 got a full blown report on how these things work?? Especially the bike to bike via 2 way radio.

I want to do three things with my SMH-10 and my SR10:

1) I want to be able to talk BT rider to pass with my wife when we're 2up, the basic operation of the SMH. We generall leave the mic "open" as we talk alot.

2) Talk bike to bike with fellow riders with similar radio setups as I have. And use the PTT switch to transmit.

3) I need to be able to recieve phone calls on my IPhone 4, weather paired to the SMH or paired to the SR or wire attached to the SR, don't know which will be best.

Can I do all three of these things without any problems???
1) SMH standard operation

2) if you have two frs/gmrs radios that talk to each other, your SMH will work with an SR10 that will allow you to connect to your radio. Your riding buddy will have to find a way to hook into his...

3) just go straight BT from SMH10 to iphone, no need for SR10 for this...

2 is the only thing you really need the SR10 for...
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #34
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReactorTrip View Post
1) SMH standard operation

2) if you have two frs/gmrs radios that talk to each other, your SMH will work with an SR10 that will allow you to connect to your radio. Your riding buddy will have to find a way to hook into his...

3) just go straight BT from SMH10 to iphone, no need for SR10 for this...

2 is the only thing you really need the SR10 for...
2). How's it work, same as if hardwired to the radio??
Old 10-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #35
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I use the SMH and really think it is the Ducks Guts, however this is the quandary! I connect the iPhone 4 to the Garmin 660,the Garmin is paired to the SMH. I would like to have two radio, and the SR would seem to be the choice.

Can I still have the same paring as above, and also pair the SR to the SMH, if not then I would not consider the SR.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #36
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

I finally call Sena and talked to a tech.

I asked if he had actually used the SR10, he said yea, around the office. I asked how one really worked in real life on a motorcycle, with a 2 way radio hooked up to it and BT'd to a SMH10. The Sena tech said they did not know, they were waiting on feed back from new buyers.

He said if there were problems, then when they heard about them, they would prolly have an upgrade...

Nothin like knowing your product and having confidence in it.........

Go figure.........
Old 10-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #37
cyclebot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Hey guys, hadn't checked in for a while on this thread. It has been a little bit of a learning curve on the connectors for the different radios, such as with Tom's Yaesu. Anywhoo, the Sena SR10 will work with the Cardo lineup of products (although probably best with the Sena).

The way it works is basically by multiplexing the Headset profile inputs. It doesn't however transmit A2DP for stereo, so you would have to look elsewhere for that. It will work with the Zumo and Iphone, (although you would have to Bluetooth the Zumo into the SR10) and two way radio at the same time. I have tested it on the road and it works well with the Midland and Motorola radios, however it does require some setup.

So you get the whole party in your helmet. GPS instructions telling you where to go, your buddies telling you they have to pee and your wife calling you telling you to come home, all at the same time. (Plus two other Auxillary inputs)
cyclebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #38
robpur
Rider

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
I finally call Sena and talked to a tech.

I asked if he had actually used the SR10, he said yea, around the office. I asked how one really worked in real life on a motorcycle, with a 2 way radio hooked up to it and BT'd to a SMH10. The Sena tech said they did not know, they were waiting on feed back from new buyers.
I can't say how well it works on a bike, but I can say that the two-way radio performance of the SR10 around my house is rather poor.

I just received my second SR10 in the mail today after having noise issues with my first one. The first SR10 had a lot of background noise and a loud, slow popping, popcorn sound whenever I was near electrical devices. I found that I needed to be nearly 150 feet away from my house before the popcorn would stop popping. Walking near a neighbors house had the same effect. At home I turned off all of my radio devices such as WiFi, cordless phones, cell phones, and other Bluetooth devices, along with electrical appliances such as the TV and stereo. As I turned things off the noise was reduced, but not eliminated. I was not able to find any one device causing the problem. Instead, the noise appeared to be caused by everything electrical in my house, collectively.

Another problem I found was that the SR10 produced a rather weak audio signal when used with a two-way radio. After playing with it for a while, plugging and unplugging stuff, I started having trouble with the auxiliary inputs. I found that I needed to push the plug in all the way, and then pull it back out slightly before I could get audio to play through the jack. Convinced that it was defective, I returned it for replacement.

The replacement arrived today with a note that said the one I returned was tested, and was not found to be defective. A check of the serial number revealed that the replacement was different from the one that I had sent, and it did not have the popcorn noise issue or an issue with the auxiliary jacks. I was quite happy about that, but sadly, the two-way radio performance wasn't any better.

I've been using two-way radios with a riding partner for a bit over 4 years. We have used Kenwood FreeTalk XLS (TK-3131) radios mostly, but we have also used BlackBox-U and HYT radios that use Motorola compatible accessories. The radios, along with a couple of Motocomm wired headsets, have worked quite well for us, and I've been impressed with both the audio quality and volume. We have never had a problem hearing each other even while wearing earplugs. Wind noise in the microphones at high speed has been quite noticeable, but we could still carry on conversations. Wanting to go wireless we purchased a couple of SMH10s with the idea of using them until the SR10 became available. The SMH10s work great as an intercom as long as you are close enough, with plenty of volume, but the range is far too limiting for how we ride. We ride dual sports and I'm the faster rider so I lead. I usually ride ahead until I can no longer reach my riding partner on the two-way radio, then I stop and wait up. If he doesn't come into radio range quickly, then I ride back to make sure he's ok. This method works great for us since we can both ride at our own pace. I found the range of the SMH10s to be somewhat adequate when riding pavement, but in the woods I could only get around a bend or two before they disconnected.

This is how I tested the SR10 that I received today. I paired the SR10 and SMH10, connected the Motorola (BlackBox-U) two-way radio with the appropriate cable, and put my helmet on. I gave my wife another Motorola (HYT) with the volume turned up all the way. I walked outside and tried talking with her, using the PTT button on the SR10. She could barely hear me and commented that the background noise was louder than my voice. I could hear her just fine, but she kept asking me to repeat myself. I then swapped out the Motorola radio and cable, with a Kenwood radio and cable. Did another test and experienced the same weak audio. Just to be sure there were no radio issues I disconnected the radio from the SR10 and talked with my wife radio to radio. She was shocked when I first started talking because the volume was turned up all the way, and my voice was so loud. So, radio to radio using the built-in mics is quite loud, and radio to radio using Motocomm headsets inside helmets is also quite loud, but transmitted audio through the SR10 is so weak that it can barely be heard in a quiet room.

I sent a description of my issue to the retailer but have not yet heard back from them. Unless there's a way to increase the signal being fed from the SR10 into the microphone input of the radio, then the SR10 is unusable to me. Maybe it will work better with a different radio, but it certainly doesn't work well with any of my three radios.

Rob
robpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #39
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpur View Post
I can't say how well it works on a bike, but I can say that the two-way radio performance of the SR10 around my house is rather poor.

I just received my second SR10 in the mail today after having noise issues with my first one. The first SR10 had a lot of background noise and a loud, slow popping, popcorn sound whenever I was near electrical devices. I found that I needed to be nearly 150 feet away from my house before the popcorn would stop popping. Walking near a neighbors house had the same effect. At home I turned off all of my radio devices such as WiFi, cordless phones, cell phones, and other Bluetooth devices, along with electrical appliances such as the TV and stereo. As I turned things off the noise was reduced, but not eliminated. I was not able to find any one device causing the problem. Instead, the noise appeared to be caused by everything electrical in my house, collectively.

Another problem I found was that the SR10 produced a rather weak audio signal when used with a two-way radio. After playing with it for a while, plugging and unplugging stuff, I started having trouble with the auxiliary inputs. I found that I needed to push the plug in all the way, and then pull it back out slightly before I could get audio to play through the jack. Convinced that it was defective, I returned it for replacement.

The replacement arrived today with a note that said the one I returned was tested, and was not found to be defective. A check of the serial number revealed that the replacement was different from the one that I had sent, and it did not have the popcorn noise issue or an issue with the auxiliary jacks. I was quite happy about that, but sadly, the two-way radio performance wasn't any better.

I've been using two-way radios with a riding partner for a bit over 4 years. We have used Kenwood FreeTalk XLS (TK-3131) radios mostly, but we have also used BlackBox-U and HYT radios that use Motorola compatible accessories. The radios, along with a couple of Motocomm wired headsets, have worked quite well for us, and I've been impressed with both the audio quality and volume. We have never had a problem hearing each other even while wearing earplugs. Wind noise in the microphones at high speed has been quite noticeable, but we could still carry on conversations. Wanting to go wireless we purchased a couple of SMH10s with the idea of using them until the SR10 became available. The SMH10s work great as an intercom as long as you are close enough, with plenty of volume, but the range is far too limiting for how we ride. We ride dual sports and I'm the faster rider so I lead. I usually ride ahead until I can no longer reach my riding partner on the two-way radio, then I stop and wait up. If he doesn't come into radio range quickly, then I ride back to make sure he's ok. This method works great for us since we can both ride at our own pace. I found the range of the SMH10s to be somewhat adequate when riding pavement, but in the woods I could only get around a bend or two before they disconnected.

This is how I tested the SR10 that I received today. I paired the SR10 and SMH10, connected the Motorola (BlackBox-U) two-way radio with the appropriate cable, and put my helmet on. I gave my wife another Motorola (HYT) with the volume turned up all the way. I walked outside and tried talking with her, using the PTT button on the SR10. She could barely hear me and commented that the background noise was louder than my voice. I could hear her just fine, but she kept asking me to repeat myself. I then swapped out the Motorola radio and cable, with a Kenwood radio and cable. Did another test and experienced the same weak audio. Just to be sure there were no radio issues I disconnected the radio from the SR10 and talked with my wife radio to radio. She was shocked when I first started talking because the volume was turned up all the way, and my voice was so loud. So, radio to radio using the built-in mics is quite loud, and radio to radio using Motocomm headsets inside helmets is also quite loud, but transmitted audio through the SR10 is so weak that it can barely be heard in a quiet room.

I sent a description of my issue to the retailer but have not yet heard back from them. Unless there's a way to increase the signal being fed from the SR10 into the microphone input of the radio, then the SR10 is unusable to me. Maybe it will work better with a different radio, but it certainly doesn't work well with any of my three radios.

Rob
Thanks for the review.

I want so badly for this to work. Would be the answer to all what I want if it worked as advertised, but looks like it needs improvemen before I spend my $'s on it.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #40
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Quote:

Rob
That's disappointing to hear. I am waiting on my radios to show up. I got a free SR10 from Sena's facebook give away, so I haven't really wasted any money on this thing. Hoping it works better than your review.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #41
mwood7800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
break

How about not including the previous post in your reply!
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #42
robpur
Rider

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReactorTrip View Post
That's disappointing to hear. I am waiting on my radios to show up. I got a free SR10 from Sena's facebook give away, so I haven't really wasted any money on this thing. Hoping it works better than your review.
Please let us know what radios you get, and how well they work. I've tried Kenwood and Motorola two-pin radios which haven't worked out. An early review on webBikeWorld shows a pre-release SR10 hooked up to an inexpensive Motorola Talkabout radio with a single-pin connector. If Sena did their testing with single-pin Motorolas, then maybe they will work correctly. Unfortunately, even if the low cost Motorolas work, they are not an option for me. One of the reasons I want to go wireless is that I want to mount the radio on the bike, and use an external antenna for better range, so I need a radio with a removable antenna so I can connect it to a mobile antenna.

Rob
robpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #43
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Quote:
Please let us know what radios you get, and how well they work. I've tried Kenwood and Motorola two-pin radios which haven't worked out. An early review on webBikeWorld shows a pre-release SR10 hooked up to an inexpensive Motorola Talkabout radio with a single-pin connector. If Sena did their testing with single-pin Motorolas, then maybe they will work correctly. Unfortunately, even if the low cost Motorolas work, they are not an option for me. One of the reasons I want to go wireless is that I want to mount the radio on the bike, and use an external antenna for better range, so I need a radio with a removable antenna so I can connect it to a mobile antenna.

Rob
I got midlands.

These

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT100...9850915&sr=8-1

I also got this midland CB to play with for solo rides. Mess with the truckers...

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822...9850963&sr=1-1
Old 10-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #44
TomB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
5 Days on The Blue Ridge Parkway With My Sena Stuff

Interesting thread so far with apparently mixed results. That is not my experience.

My configuration is a Sena SMH10 Headset (ear bud mount), Sena SR10, iPhone 4, iPad 1, Zumo 450. and a Yaesu VX-6R.

Let's start with the easy stuff. Bike2Bike using the Yaesu was PERFECT. My riding buddy said I'd never been clearer and none of having the mic pressed against your lips to be heard (Autocom issue). There was a short delay before the channel opens up the 1st time you speak, but after the talk gets started everything is instant. (Note: you can force the audio channel open full time at some cost of battery life. In normal mode I never got a low battery waning during 7-9 hour days with full time music and a lot of Bike2Bike chatter.) We were both very impressed. BTW, this was our experience whether the chin bar was up or down. Of course mine sits behind a very quiet Givi Windscreen.

Also, I connected the Yaesu using a Yaesu CT-91 Microphone Adapter and Sena's ICOM cable. This was a no-brainer for me since I keep 3 CT-91s in the tank bag (buddies are always loosing theirs). It was my standard connection method with my Autocom. It connects easily and maintains the Yaesu's submersibility.

Initial pairing took a bit of learning. The Sena documentation is good for each unit but they do not do a good job of telling you how things work together in various configurations.

After half a day of trial and error, here's what I ended up with: IPad and SR10 paired to the SMH10. Nothing special was required. Zumo and the Yaesu were hard wired to the SR10. The iPhone was selectively paired to the SR10.

With this configuration I had:

Music (from the iPad)
Navigation
Bike2Bike
Phone (I did not try voice dialing since the iPhone 4 does a crappy job of that for me.)

All in all I was very pleased and would give this setup a 4 out of 5 for performance, 3 for setup though it's very easy once you've done it a few times. The SR10s get an easy 4 which I consider pretty damn good for a first iteration, The SMH10 gets a 5 but the earbud helmet mount gets a 2 (see below).

I do have a negative comment on the earbud style helmet mount (SMH-A0303). The earbuds connect via a small 3.5mm jack that extends off the lower rear of the mount. Mine has already broken loose. I would have preferred a flush jack like the MP3 input jack. I'll be applying some JB Weld to re-secure it as it still works and just needs to be reattached.

CLOSING COMMENTS

This setup meets my needs very well. It's compact, efficient and of generally high quality. There are issues with the iPhone when trying the Sena "split function" setup with iPhone music streaming to the headset and phone through the SR10. Sena says that this is an issue with the iPhone which does not like to bluetooth to two devices at the same time. I'm inclined to point the finger to the iPhone as well. I doubt it was designed for this type of use. Since I usually travel with iPad as well my configuration makes it no big deal.

FWIW, after Kirk and I spit to go our separate ways home, I re-paired the iPhone directly to the SMH10 and turned off the SR10. Of course I lost navigation but I didn't need it anyway. Pairing the iPhone (normal pairing) to the SMH10 gave me both phone and music. If the SR10 is on and paired you lose the phone function so when I'm traveling alone SMH10 pairing only will be my standard as all I will need is phone and music.

Comments?
Questions?
Flames.
'01 R1150GS +27,000 - Silver (Sold)
'93 VS800 +34,000 - Red (Sold)]

TomB screwed with this post 11-02-2011 at 10:22 AM Reason: typos
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #45
cyclebot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
We will try them with the Free Talk Radios you are having issues with. I am thinking maybe the issue is with your headset or maybe with speaker placement.

The Midland CB and GMRS and Motorola radios I have tested them with all have ample volume output.
cyclebot is offline   Reply With Quote