Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #421
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
Didnt see prices on your web page, and to lazy to read all the post. Do you have a price list? Thanks, and PS; this a great idea. bete.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=391

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=408

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #422
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Thanks, wlfman.
bete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #423
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
As I am collecting parts and fabbing up the first production run of these trailers, I'll learn what they really cost to build. After this initial run, I'll modify the webpage to have prices and make it so people can actually purchase trailers. I do know the trailers after the first five will be more than $500.... So far it's looking like they will be closer to $700, but that's not yet for sure, obviously I'm not done building the first five yet!

I do have a teaser pic of frame #001.. I sent this over to my friend at ProCycle, he's buying this one and has been whining ever since I asked for the prototype back....

The lower one is the prototype. You can see that the production models will be 3" longer in the mid-section to clear bulkier licence plate/tail light assemblies. I've been building welding fixtures all week, the upper frame is the first one built on these fixtures. Obviously still a lot to do.... As I mentioned earlier, the first five will come with a fender which I am still hammering out the details on... Fun, Fun, Fun!!!

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #424
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
As I am collecting parts and fabbing up the first production run of these trailers, I'll learn what they really cost to build. After this initial run, I'll modify the webpage to have prices and make it so people can actually purchase trailers. I do know the trailers after the first five will be more than $500.... So far it's looking like they will be closer to $700, but that's not yet for sure, obviously I'm not done building the first five yet!

The lower one is the prototype. You can see that the production models will be 3" longer in the mid-section to clear bulkier licence plate/tail light assemblies. I've been building welding fixtures all week, the upper frame is the first one built on these fixtures. Obviously still a lot to do.... As I mentioned earlier, the first five will come with a fender which I am still hammering out the details on... Fun, Fun, Fun!!!
I'm really glad I got in on this when I did. After looking into the cost of a decent pannier setup, I really think this is a more viable option for my DR650. I'm really excited to give one of these a go!

Here's a pic of each side of my rear axle. Let me know if you need anything else.

First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #425
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
I'm really glad I got in on this when I did. After looking into the cost of a decent pannier setup, I really think this is a more viable option for my DR650. I'm really excited to give one of these a go!

Here's a pic of each side of my rear axle. Let me know if you need anything else.

All that you will need is a fuji style nut to replace your castle nut and cotter pin. I will supply you with one. I bought a few from procycle the other day.

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
Old 10-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #426
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
XR650R axle

the hole in the axle will fit a 3/8" shaft almost all the way thru. I think I will have to drill the last couple of inches out by a 1/16" or so. the axle has a taper to it.
walkergreenlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #427
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkergreenlabel View Post
the hole in the axle will fit a 3/8" shaft almost all the way thru. I think I will have to drill the last couple of inches out by a 1/16" or so. the axle has a taper to it.
This could be exciting news! However, do you think it's safe to drill it out? I have not looked at the XR650R axle myself, I quickly looked at the XR650L axle and ruled it out. Would you be willing to post some pics of your axle and the Outside and Inside dimensions, and the overall length? Best if you could remove it for the measuring and pics... If not, no worries, I'll get ahold of one soon.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #428
TrainedChimp
Consistently wrong

Quote:
The rod is 3/8" in Diameter and the axle needs to be between 10-1/2" to 11-1/2" overall length. I may make other sizes in the future, but that width fits many common dual sport bikes.... DR650, DRZ400, KLR650 (with special hitch), many KTM's, newer Husabergs, WR250R/X....
Darn, my Dakar has a tapered axle hole - about 1/4" at the narrowest end.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #429
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

XR650R Axle

Quote:
This could be exciting news! However, do you think it's safe to drill it out? I have not looked at the XR650R axle myself, I quickly looked at the XR650L axle and ruled it out. Would you be willing to post some pics of your axle and the Outside and Inside dimensions, and the overall length? Best if you could remove it for the measuring and pics... If not, no worries, I'll get ahold of one soon.
I will try and pull the axle clean it up and take some acurate measurements of length and ID at both ends. I will use some drill bits to try and get a profile of the ID end to end. I dont want to modify the BRP axle if I don't have to. close to the end where the nut tighens the axle it narrows to 11/32 or maybe to 5/16.

I was considering the tapered ID of the axle. I was thinking of making a tapered bushing or possilby a tapered axle. My concern is that the trailer axle will not stay square to the bike frame or cause the trailer axle to bend in the bike axle.

Are the axles welded to the frame or are they removable? Have you completed the first 5 yet?

walkergreenlabel screwed with this post 10-31-2011 at 07:44 AM
Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 AM   #430
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

fender

there was mention of a fender. were you thinking of a fender for the bike or trailer tire or both? any picks of the prototype or mock up?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #431
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 570
2 cents...

I'd take the trailer rod that goes thru the axle to someone with a lathe to thin it in the right spots vs drill my axle, if it we're my bike...just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkergreenlabel View Post
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #432
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Where there was one, now there is two!!!!

Here are a couple pics of the first production trailer, frame #001... the one in back is the original proto-type.

This is how the first one's will look, complete with the rear fender.

And a shot hooked to a bike....

The fender will be a great place to put stickers! I'm picturing a ADV oval right on the back..... I'm still hoping to have the first five production trailers done before Thanksgiving...

Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #433
TrainedChimp
Consistently wrong

If there were a good way to make that work with my Dakar I would say out me on the list for # 6.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #434
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,659
Wow those are looking great!
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #435
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
Sweet rig.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote