Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #436
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleetho View Post
I got the adapter and WnS heattroller and did feel like I got much heat out of it. Eventually bought a Gerbing to use with the heattroller. The gerbing is sweet.

I don't want to invest in another heattroller if I can get the FG controller replaced. Though that new wireless heattroller looks pretty cool.
+1. I have a Gerbing old style jacket liner with dual thermostat to work with Gerbing G3 gloves. I've had it now for over 4 years without a single problem. You can adjust the jacket heat or the gloive heat separately on the fly provided you got the thermostat mounted/clipped where you can access while riding. I normally clip mine to the rear of my tank bag. I wish the coaxial type power connector was little easier to connect and disconnect and thought about using the Wns heattroller but decided against something else in between the Gerbing system controlling the output.

I bought mine years ago on the last day of Daytona BW when all the vendors are packing up to go home and they will start discounting sharply so that they don't have to pack or ship it back. You can get some great deals if you approach them while they are packing up!

Jon
Old 02-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #437
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I kind of seems like to me that less people are complaining about the broken controllers. I hope that they are better made now because I just bought a set. Only time will tell if I will be left out in the cold. I might just carry around my extra glove controller just in case. It is of course not the same as the jacket conlroller, but at least I can have warm hands.

i'm still on my original controller from 4 years ago. (knock on wood) no issues.

BUT i do carry a jumper wire in my tankbag just in case
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:14 AM   #438
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,261
Mine's been going strong for three years now, no problems (knock on wood). Interesting adapter though...
Old 02-03-2011, 05:02 AM   #439
eeore39648
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike toon View Post
I would have made sure it worked before spending a dime to have it sewn up.
I should have, Doh!, but its being sewn now. I think it will work. It was not on, or plugged in at the time I went down.
I will report back here after I get it back.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #440
mtbspeedfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
How much current does this jacket draw?

I can't find the specs for low, medium, and high settings.

Thanks in advance! I'm riding a '76 Kawasaki and the stator is marginal at best- so I gotta count my watts.

1976 Kawasaki KZ900A4
1980 Kawasaki KZ550C1 LTD- Dalton Highway Survivor (kind of)
mtbspeedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #441
eeore39648
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbspeedfreak View Post
How much current does this jacket draw?

I can't find the specs for low, medium, and high settings.

Thanks in advance! I'm riding a '76 Kawasaki and the stator is marginal at best- so I gotta count my watts.
This might help ya,http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/page...master_synergy I used this jacket liner with a XR650L that had a stator output 186 max watts, with no problems, while using on low, med., or high..
Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #442
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
I was an early-adopter and got one of the very first Synergy jackets. Never had a controller failure but I did have the controller cable pull out of the liner twice. Both times, Tourmaster sent a replacement jacket, no questions asked, which was encouraging. I am now more careful not to pull hard on the controller cable and have had four or five years of service with no problems. The liner has kept me warm on a 20-hour marathon ride in 40-50F weather and lashing rain, and numerous shorter rides in the 30's. Every other jacket I have owned or tried has had hot spots that became bothersome on long rides but the Synergy seems to heat far more evenly.

Have used the jacket on medium setting while riding my DR350 for hours at a time and not had any charging issues.

Interested in the jumper plug as an emergency measure although I think I could fairly easily find and short the right pins together I had to.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #443
eeore39648
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I was an early-adopter and got one of the very first Synergy jackets. Never had a controller failure but I did have the controller cable pull out of the liner twice. Both times, Tourmaster sent a replacement jacket, no questions asked, which was encouraging. I am now more careful not to pull hard on the controller cable and have had four or five years of service with no problems. The liner has kept me warm on a 20-hour marathon ride in 40-50F weather and lashing rain, and numerous shorter rides in the 30's. Every other jacket I have owned or tried has had hot spots that became bothersome on long rides but the Synergy seems to heat far more evenly.

Have used the jacket on medium setting while riding my DR350 for hours at a time and not had any charging issues.

Interested in the jumper plug as an emergency measure although I think I could fairly easily find and short the right pins together I had to.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #444
YT Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Pissed Tourmaster synergy electric jacket

Well I hope you have more luck with Tourmaster than I did with my Gerbings products. The first heated jacket I bought didn't last a week before it melted into my neck while I was riding down the highway. In fact it melted through my T-shirt and into my neck. I had to rip them apart in order to take it back for replacement. Anyway, Gerbings must have been concerned about a law-suit or something because they replaced it without much hassle. I got a new heated jacket from them and this summer when I went up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik, NWT my Gerbings controller bit the dust. Guess what, Gerbings won't replace because I didn't register the product within 3 months of purchase date. In Canada we have to register our guns, cars, boats and a few other things. Why the hell should I have to register a heated jacket controller from Gerbings? I'll tell you why...it gives them an out/excuse for not having to replace their product when it craps out long before the "3 year Warranty". I guess I'll have to go out and buy another 100 dollar controller now... Thank-you Gerbings for NOTHING. If I ever get weak and decide to buy another Gerbings product I'm gonna insist on being kissed at the store cause I like to be kissed when I'm getting screwed.
YT Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:49 AM   #445
eeore39648
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry for your bad luck.
Gerbings shocked me with the pricing. I had never had heated gear, and was not willing to take a $300 chance.
I have Very happy with the Synergy, no problems so far, good thing its warranteed for 3 years.
Get you one, I think you will happy with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT Dave View Post
Well I hope you have more luck with Tourmaster than I did with my Gerbings products. The first heated jacket I bought didn't last a week before it melted into my neck while I was riding down the highway. In fact it melted through my T-shirt and into my neck. I had to rip them apart in order to take it back for replacement. Anyway, Gerbings must have been concerned about a law-suit or something because they replaced it without much hassle. I got a new heated jacket from them and this summer when I went up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik, NWT my Gerbings controller bit the dust. Guess what, Gerbings won't replace because I didn't register the product within 3 months of purchase date. In Canada we have to register our guns, cars, boats and a few other things. Why the hell should I have to register a heated jacket controller from Gerbings? I'll tell you why...it gives them an out/excuse for not having to replace their product when it craps out long before the "3 year Warranty". I guess I'll have to go out and buy another 100 dollar controller now... Thank-you Gerbings for NOTHING. If I ever get weak and decide to buy another Gerbings product I'm gonna insist on being kissed at the store cause I like to be kissed when I'm getting screwed.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:59 AM   #446
CoolHand Luke
Can it core a apple?

Oddometer: 115
Thumbs down Dont buy this POS!

I have posted my tale of woe with this POS jacket and so have many many others. I agree when (more like IF) it works its a good deal for the money...it just never seems to hold up and work right.

I tried to get mine replaced under the 3 yr warranty...they have basically stopped making them and are come ing out with a "new" model sometime in 2011. Their jerk around has taken place over the course of 8-9 months and is total BS. If you buy this (which you probably cant cuz they dont make them anymore) you are destined to be disappointed and left in the cold (pun intended)
"We had it tough ... I had to get up at 9 o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of dry poison, work 29 hours down mill, and when we came home our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our grave singing Haleleuia ."

2007 1200GS
CoolHand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #447
eeore39648
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeore39648 View Post
Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry for your bad luck.
Gerbings shocked me with the pricing. I had never had heated gear, and was not willing to take a $300 chance.
I have Very happy with the Synergy, no problems so far, good thing its warranteed for 3 years.
Get you one, I think you will happy with it.
Some have Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHand Luke View Post
I have posted my tale of woe with this POS jacket and so have many many others. I agree when (more like IF) it works its a good deal for the money...it just never seems to hold up and work right.

I tried to get mine replaced under the 3 yr warranty...they have basically stopped making them and are come ing out with a "new" model sometime in 2011. Their jerk around has taken place over the course of 8-9 months and is total BS. If you buy this (which you probably cant cuz they dont make them anymore) you are destined to be disappointed and left in the cold (pun intended)
Some have Bad Luck!

After reading through this, Whole thread. I think the knowledge a gained, about its operation, will keep me from haveing problems. If I do, I will go through my local dealer where I bought it from. I purposely bought local, so they could deal with the distributor, Helmut House, if there were problems.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #448
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,618
So, how long have you been working for Tour Master? Just kidding!

I went though 3 or 4 TM controllers. Just threw all the crap away. Last year I purchased a Gerbing and Heat troller. Great combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT Dave View Post
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #449
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
I had to send my Synergy jacket in earlier this year because the wiring covers coming out of jacket to the controller unit started cracking. I received the replacement yesterday which is version 2.0. They have removed the stupid dangling controller thing and it is now more like the Gerbings one. It has a dual controller which can control the jacket or gloves separately. Not cold enough yesterday to go out and use it but it appears to be better thought out.

I was told that I would have to wait until October for the new model to come out so I was not worried about not having one for the several months before the new one came out.

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #450
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,395
Controller died on mine.

Soldered all the wires together and now is in constant high.

If I need it turned off I just unplug it.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote