Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #91
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Kids had angry birds on it before I even got home from work today.
I've got most of the apps that I had on the tablet I bought a few months ago that I gave to the wife when I didn't like it loaded up now, and have all my emails and contacts from my old work phone figured out.
Exploring the app world for anything new and interesting.
I give it a week before I decide I should go ahead and root it and get that dang wifi hotspot thingamajig working.

PdaNet is a good one for me to use phone as a modem (linked by usb or bluetooth) and not have to pay the extra fees from verizon to share the data.

Amazon's Appstore is good. You will not find it in the google market, you have to manually load from amazon. They have a free app of the day. I have found some good ones there.

You local bank may have an app. I have Chase and their app is awesome.

A pay app I love is FlightTrack

I have a Contour GPS helmet cam. The app allows me to see the cameras view and make settings via bluetooth.

Dolphin Browser HD, is a good alternative browser.

Games:
Angry Birds is a given,
Glow Hockey is good.
Pollushot
Stupid Zombies

Music,
Amazon mp3
Google Music
Stitcher for podcasts.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #92
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz View Post

i'll consider it if its fast enough. then i can cancel the home internet. and have one less bill to pay monthly.
We use Easytether on our phones, the paid version is a one time $10 per line for the full version (allows access to secure sites like online banking) try it for free otherwise. Verizon does not like this because they want you to pay for their tethering svc, so you have to find it someplace other than the Market, just google it, I did.

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #93
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,265
Quote:
I just upgraded from a...um, nothing to the SII myself. Where do I start...
I'm getting one tomorrow. One day old, 25% off

(I work with a guy who bought one yesterday. He's having a lot of problems syncing it and I made him an offer)
Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #94
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
I'm getting one tomorrow. One day old, 25% off

(I work with a guy who bought one yesterday. He's having a lot of problems syncing it and I made him an offer)
FYI, Amazon has them for $99, free shipping, free activation with a 2 year plan. At least they did last week.

And yeah, unlimited data is needed. I burned up 150 MB in the first 24 hours.

And yes, I'm posting from it at work right now.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #95
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,265
Quote:
FYI, Amazon has them for $99, free shipping, free activation with a 2 year plan. At least they did last week.

And yeah, unlimited data is needed. I burned up 150 MB in the first 24 hours.

And yes, I'm posting from it at work right now.
I'm in Saudi. This is a good deal.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #96
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,839
Update,,,,

After a trip to LA last week and having horrible connections with the Inspire, I had enough. Traded it in yesterday for a Samsung SII. What a difference!! much better signal strength, faster, and easier to use than the Inspire. Of course it was more money, but it was definitely worth it.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #97
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
What kind of network restrictions might that be?
I have no idea, but NO ONE'S Android phone will work on our WiFi. I have tried at least 8 phones that different employees have, and not one will connect. Different brands as well like HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG, and whoever makes the Nexus [Samsung maybe]). I am posting in this thread from my laptop on this WiFi, and my old iPhone 3G works on the network. However, fire up something with Android, and you are not connecting to the network. To be more specific, the phone sees the network, and actually connects, but absolutely no data flows in either direction from the phone. IT so far has not been able to give me a reason why, or a solution to fix the problem. I suspect some obscure security setting, or maybe there is something weird going on with Android, since this is a problem with all Android devices here, and everything else works.

Couple that with the fact that sitting here I have one bar of EDGE service (not 3 or 4g) and my phone is basically a several hundred dollar brick. I would just take it back, but I was out of my 30 days trial period when I took this job, and have been told on several occasions that there is nothing that could be done for me. Oh, well... There is always EBay.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #98
c.vestal
Rally On

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-supp...-internet.html
skip down to post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I have no idea, but NO ONE'S Android phone will work on our WiFi. I have tried at least 8 phones that different employees have, and not one will connect. Different brands as well like HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG, and whoever makes the Nexus [Samsung maybe]). I am posting in this thread from my laptop on this WiFi, and my old iPhone 3G works on the network. However, fire up something with Android, and you are not connecting to the network. To be more specific, the phone sees the network, and actually connects, but absolutely no data flows in either direction from the phone. IT so far has not been able to give me a reason why, or a solution to fix the problem. I suspect some obscure security setting, or maybe there is something weird going on with Android, since this is a problem with all Android devices here, and everything else works.

Couple that with the fact that sitting here I have one bar of EDGE service (not 3 or 4g) and my phone is basically a several hundred dollar brick. I would just take it back, but I was out of my 30 days trial period when I took this job, and have been told on several occasions that there is nothing that could be done for me. Oh, well... There is always EBay.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #99
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,803
Thanks c.vestal, but that doesn't help me any. The problem from what I have read is a setting in the routers themselves, most likely something to do with the newer "N" wifi protocols. IF I had access to the routers here, I could try stepping the wifi back down to G or even B and seeing if the phones would then work. However, I do not, and will not be able to try this out. I work for a large health system, so us peons have no access to the network. All we can do is submit a helpdesk request, and see what happens. Which I do every couple of weeks, and so far nothing has changed.

Thanks anyway, I do appreciate it.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #100
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,839
Cool2

Maybe one you techies know the answer to this..... I don't have an unlimited data plan (cheapskate) so I monitor my usage. With the iPhone I came out pretty close to using all my data everymonth. But I've had this android phone for nearly 3 weeks and itsooking like ill be way under what I normally use. I figured this month would have been over be wise I took a trip to Cali (use the phone more on trips) and have been downloading Alps. Is it possible the android is more efficient with data usage than the iPhone?

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #101
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
data usage iphone vs android

Typically Iphones use way less data than android phones, due to software constraints apple places on them to appease the carriers. 20 MB file download limit over 3g in app store and over the web, wifi offloading through automatic switching when in range of wifi, etc. Android phones unless set up by carrier, do not have these limits. I routinely download several hundred meg podcasts on my nexus, and use over 5 gb a month. This has been mentioned several times on TWIT and other podcasts. Sprint was thrilled when iPhone was purchased, as they want to see the traffic go down as well.
Recently at&t sent me a warning that my "unauthorized" tethering caused them to switch my plan. So I called up and told I do not tether, and kept my unlimited plan, as long as no more tethering detected. Ready for an upgrade on phone, as my nexus one is getting old, and as I am still paying to subsidize a phone purchase I have not made through plan prices.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #102
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I upgraded a little over a month ago from the original Droid to the Droid Bionic. Added the unlimited hotspot at the same time. Decided to jump on it while they were grandfathering the unlimited plan. Love it so far. Silky smooth, and very fast!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:47 AM   #103
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,513
I don't keep track of technology, so does anyone know if Verizon plans to offer a global ready 4G Android phone? I'm still using the original Motorola Droid which works fine, but I'll be doing a good bit of international travel this winter and it'd be nice to buy cards and use my phone while overseas.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #104
c.vestal
Rally On

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
I don't keep track of technology, so does anyone know if Verizon plans to offer a global ready 4G Android phone? I'm still using the original Motorola Droid which works fine, but I'll be doing a good bit of international travel this winter and it'd be nice to buy cards and use my phone while overseas.
you can filter down the smartphones by "global ready "on their website.
Droid3 & Incredible2
Old 10-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #105
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
you can filter down the smartphones by "global ready "on their website.
Droid3 & Incredible2
Neither of those are 4G. That's why I asked if anything is coming.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: