Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #31
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
I'm babysitting my friends love bird. Does this make me a PIRATE?

Should i buy assless chaps and a doo-rag?

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 10-18-2011 at 04:45 PM
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #32
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 843
Aye!!! Nice report, and real good photos mate!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #33
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Arrrrrrr, glad you be enjoying 'em matey.

Tom Waits
Old 11-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #34
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's been awhile since we've had a nice day around here but today was beautiful, I had to sneak out of work a few hours early to get a little dirt farming in. Net week it will be dark by the time I get out of work so today was the day to get out and enjoy the sunshine.
Once again, headed for the PA border to find some dirt roads. Hit a few I'd already been on and found a few new ones.

Just south of Friendsville...

Found my new retreat...

it even comes with a nice plow truck...I WANT!

I know, I already posted a pic of this fine truck but passes it again and had to stop.

there's still a lot of roads that got washed out in last months flood being repaired. There's also a ton of work being done to clean out the creeks in the area. Most of the flooding was caused by overflowing streams.

I keep passing this place so finally got a pic of it...

these guys were wandering around in the road along with a goat that took off before I could get the camera out. Reminded me of those open range cattle in Utah...

Tom Waits
Old 11-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #35
deserteagle56
deserteagle56

Oddometer: 42
Gnarly, love your reports! I grew up on a farm near Montrose back in the '50s and '60s and your photos bring back a lot of good memories. I grow nostalgic now and again for that farm country back east...but it seems most of the farms are gone now, replaced by homes. Here's a shot I took on Rt 29 a few years ago near Springville. Keep 'em coming!
deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #36
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
Gnarly, love your reports! I grew up on a farm near Montrose back in the '50s and '60s and your photos bring back a lot of good memories. I grow nostalgic now and again for that farm country back east...but it seems most of the farms are gone now, replaced by homes. Here's a shot I took on Rt 29 a few years ago near Springville. Keep 'em coming!
Glad you're enjoying it. I've passed through Springsville plenty of times. My son played a lot of Little League games there. Sorry to say but Montrose has become a mess with all the drilling going on there. It's not the same as you remember it.

Tom Waits
Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #37
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Called in sick today and took a nice cool ride to the Delaware river going the long way around to get to Tannersville. Ended up on pavement most of the day, should have ridden the warm bike. Not too bad, in the mid 40's most of the day.

Stopped by my old house to take a few pics. If I still had that place I'd be making a few bucks on a gas lease now and maybe even be retired. Oh well, no looking back.

I built the deck and roof over it along with that big ass garage.

Nice views...

stopped to visit my friend on Butler lake...

then headed to Dingmans Ferry to cross the river and ride down the east side of the river...on DIRT!

Lots of branches and wires laying in the road but it looked passable...

got as far as this place, George Washington used to hang out here I guess...

serious erosion

when the ranger pulled up and told me the rest of the road was closed and impassable....DAMMIT!. So I turned around and headed back to Dingman and found this cool old barn on the way there.

and this place too...

then back to pavement on the east side of the river...

I was really looking forward to riding that dirt road along the Delaware and that's why I didn't bother wandering off the pavement on the way there. I was disappointed to have to turn back. That looks like a nice road, well, that is if it were still there. Hopefully it'll be fixed by spring.

Tom Waits
Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #38
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sunday morning ride south of Tannersville...

Note to self: The Hi/Lo temps listed for any particular day on Weather.com don't mean that the low of that day will be the low temp shown. Tomorrows low was listed as 39, no big deal. I have a 100 mile trip to work and leave at 6:30am. When checking the hourly temps it's going to be 28F around that time. No biggie on my normal commute but this is 4 times longer. I just went and bought tights to wear under my riding pants and jeans. Let's see how they work. I also picked up some thin gloves to wear as linings for my heavy riding gloves as they are only warm for about 20 minutes in those temps.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 06:48 PM
Old 11-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #39
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I got tired of not having a tankbag to keep my camera within easy reach. I tried to rig up something Friday before I left but it was too flimsy and didn't really work so I brought along the camera case I wanted to use and figured I'd figure something out this weekend. Here's what I came up with. The case is bigger than the camera and has a small pocket as well so I could use it for a tiny bit more than just the camera...

just a few strips of adhesive back velcro. Easy peasy...

Tom Waits
Old 11-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #40
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

No dirt this weekend, rode the Tiger. It was cold Friday when I left and the DR just isn't that warm for an extended ride although I have a wind screen coming tomorrow for it so expect to see more pics over the holiday season. Temps around 40 on Friday and sunny, fairly comfy on the Tiger with several layers of insulation. My ride back today was toasty warm, mid to high 50's I think.

Bailey the cat playing with mouse. Note: the mouse is only playing dead. Had to wack him with my boot to stun him long enough to toss him back outside where he belongs...the mouse, not Bailey...

Pennsylvania Ingenuity! (No PSU jokes please)...

Ok honey, I'll get that old truck cap outta the yard...

Nicholson Viaduct...

Nice house overlooking the landmark viaduct...

still active and it looks like they're doing some repairs on it. Check it out if you're on Rt. 11 in Nicholson PA.

Stealthie Land Rover...

Spiritual stop for a smoke in St. Joe's...

Man, I'll take a few more days like today this season. Just beautiful out there today.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 01:33 PM
Old 11-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #41
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Taken tonight near Sayre PA (Bradford county). No comment here but this says what most that live in a drilling area think.

WARNING! This is not a political post!

Tom Waits
Old 11-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #42
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yea Baby! Just got my Laminar Lip tonight and it'll be ready to put back on the bike for tomorrows commute to work. 25 this morning and it's time for a "little" bit of protection from the elements. Speaking about protection...I got my ACF-50 yesterday and if I get a warm enough day to get the bike good and clean it's getting a good coat of this stuff. On the left is a good chain roller to replace the stock POC. I expect to be slightly warmer on the ride in tomorrow and maybe, just maybe, be able to loosen my grip on the bars at interstate speeds.

Maybe I should have bought the clear wind screen... Some day I might paint all the white plastic black though so if that should ever happen the tinted screen will look best.

Update: The screen works great. Took most of the wind off my chest at highway speed and might have kept a bit of the rain off my as well this morning. I'm happy with the results.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 07:07 AM
Old 11-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #43
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Another block of beautiful weather here in the NE. Rode the Tiger to the Poconos for dinner yesterday. Cold start in the morning but the it ended very comfortable and the ride home today was just as nice. Took 81/84 and 447 on the way down and the western route through Wilkes Barre and Tunkhannock on the way home.

Always wanted to check out these cabins on 447. If you stop be careful, there's some really weak wood covering a well, I almost went through it. It's on the right side of the cabin. Would have sucked being trapped in a well and missing Thanksgiving dinner....

The well is over here...

Post dinner campfire and ceremonial burning of the dead X-mas tree...

South of Tunkhannock, hmmm, pie or biscotti????? BISCOTTI!!!!!

Drilling rig ....

GASSHOLES. These water trucks are everywhere. Careful riding in this part of PA.

Hell, why not eat both. Pumpin pie dip!!! Great combo...

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 11-25-2011 at 05:09 PM
Old 11-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #44
rainmaker8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
hey nice photos.

Shout out if you ever want riding companions. I'm up in NY Catskills region and would consider venturing down for a chill day on those roads!
rainmaker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #45
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker8 View Post
Shout out if you ever want riding companions. I'm up in NY Catskills region and would consider venturing down for a chill day on those roads!
Will do Rainmaker. I used to head towards the Catskills all the time but didn't even head in that direction once this year. You've got some great riding out that way, maybe I'll head that way on the DR if I get another good day.

Tom Waits