User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #16
Uglydog56
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thumb

I bought an 01 new and rode it until 07. Great bike. I rode cross country in 4 days on it in the fall. My only changes were a corbin seat and givi luggage. The front end was soft, but for traveling and commuting it was fine.

Uglydog56 screwed with this post 11-03-2011 at 12:39 PM Reason: added pic
Uglydog56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #17
WNDRLST
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I have an '06, nekkid, that was all set up for a track bike when I bought it: Gixxer front end, rear shock, brakes, HoleShot high-mount exhaust, Pazzo levers. It had 4,812 miles when I bought it last August. All I added were Protaper dirt bike bars, and some tank grips.

Here it is in track-day kit:

I have put 12,000 miles on it since I bought it, commuting, track days, one-day trips to the mountains, and one leisurely 10-day, 2,700 mile trip from Albuquerque to Yellowstone National Park. From what you guys are saying, it's still a baby, mileage wise!

Here it is in touring kit:

Getting luggage that worked with that high-mount pipe was a pain, but the drybag setup worked out OK. The little stick-on windshield helped with the windblast a bit, but generated an incredible amount of noise around my helmet. I haven't used it since that trip; I'll think about that Givi windshield before my next long trip.

Those Scorpion Syncs that were on it for the first 9,500 miles have been replaced with some Pilot Powers. Other than tires and oil changes, and the recommended 15,000-mile valve check, it's cost me nuthin but gas.

WNDRLST screwed with this post 11-03-2011 at 04:16 PM Reason: boo-boos
WNDRLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #18
IndiaPaleAle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
I took my '99 from Deals Gap to the beginning of the Blue Ridge Parkway to the end of the Blue Ridge Parkway in three days.

IndiaPaleAle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #19
civhatch90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I live in NJ, have been as far south as the dragon and as far north as cape breton island, nova scotia. Awesome bike, 43k miles. Do these have 6 digit odometers? Meaning, after 99,999, does it go to 0? or 100,000?

civhatch90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #20
IndiaPaleAle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
I see you have road attacks on the front. What about the back?

I'm trying to settle on a high-mileage tire.
IndiaPaleAle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #21
Ohio_Danimal OP
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaPaleAle View Post
I see you have road attacks on the front. What about the back?

I'm trying to settle on a high-mileage tire.
sure you saw a picture of me running road attacks. I could show pictures of that bike wearing just about every sport touring tire except maybe the pilot road3 (have yet to try them, although the PR2s were awesome)
My last two sets have been Continental Conti Motions. I really like the way they feel, very predictable, and I'm getting a bit over 6000 on the rears, which is fine for the cash outlay.

I have used the Angels, Avon Storms, Pilot Roads, Road Attacks, Z6's and some crappy Bridgestones (dont remember the model but they sucked)

For now I think the Conti Motion is the best value out there. I mount my own tires and use dyna beads.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #22
Ohio_Danimal OP
Midlife Crisis Man

Now I see there's another long-running SV650 thread going here I feel stupid for starting this one!

Anger is age, hell bent.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #23
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDRLST View Post
The little stick-on windshield helped with the windblast a bit, but generated an incredible amount of noise around my helmet. I haven't used it since that trip; I'll think about that Givi windshield before my next long trip.
I actually found that a LARGE tank bag is better than most windscreens. I've tried two different windscreens and both gave me a headache after an hour. My Rapid Transit Abrams tank bag takes all the wind off my chest, and it starts just below my helmet, not giving me any extra noise or head buffeting. It's quite perfect actually.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #24
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Man....

Is that one of the best engines in the history of motorcycles?

Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #25
Ohio_Danimal OP
Midlife Crisis Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Man....

Is that one of the best engines in the history of motorcycles?

I think the Yamaha XZ550 motor takes that honor (except for it's propensity to fry stators)

If only Yamaha would have continued on with it.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #26
WNDRLST
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
I actually found that a LARGE tank bag is better than most windscreens. I've tried two different windscreens and both gave me a headache after an hour. My Rapid Transit Abrams tank bag takes all the wind off my chest, and it starts just below my helmet, not giving me any extra noise or head buffeting. It's quite perfect actually.
I've decided that I don't mind the wind on my chest; it's the push again my head on long 80-mph+ runs that wears me out. I do lay down on my tank bag for a change of angle when it gets to be too much. But my tank bag is definitely too small to deflect any air on its own. Maybe I'll pinch my BF's big tank bag this weekend and give your solution a try.
WNDRLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #27
CvFactor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
My 07 which I purchased new in 08. I have 31,000 miles on it now and I too plan on riding it until the engine gives out. In 09 I rode from Michigan to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, up through Utah, to Yellowstone and back home, 5000 miles in total. Its a great bike for touring.

CvFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #28
PullingG's
What?

Oddometer: 182
Posted this one on the other SV thread - but she does have her travelling clothes on. I have a '99 naked edition. Have taken it some weekend trips...great bike.
Attached Images

PullingG's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #29
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Can I play with my SV1k Naked?

Seat comfort has prevented me from making this a sport touring bike. The Corbin doesn't work for me and the airhawk doesn't help much. Any other softer than Corbin seat options out there? (sorry for the hijack)
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #30
PullingG's
What?

Oddometer: 182
I have spoken to some folks that like the Sargent seats for the SV. All a matter of preference. If I were to take mine on longer trips I would likely do that.
PullingG's is offline   Reply With Quote