Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #1696
bluzman
BluezMan

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
I have two, Model24-3mode for sale.
Still brand new and in their boxes, never used but tested with battery, yes, they work great.
No bike anymore to put them on.
how much for them ?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #1697
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRJO View Post
Bright and happy
How are you handling the remote FOB?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #1698
FJRJO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
How are you handling the remote FOB?
Used Dual Lock disc glued to the steering nut. Holds well.
Also on the 07 Yamaha FJR use the yellow high beam wire for the high beam connection.
FJRJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:40 AM   #1699
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke View Post
He tried, but it burned out his camera's CCD.

I have actually been thinking on how to properly demonstrate the difference - without as you say, "burning" out the camera's CCD. I have been known to do an occasional bit of photography now and then so it should not be too difficult.

Watch this space. I am off to a Warbirds Airshow in Temora, NSW (Oz) in a coupla weeks and it should be nice 'n' dark to do things. But depends on which camera I take with me - if I take the DSLR no probs. The little point and shoot, weeeeelll maybe not so easy. iPhone? It'd get nuked I reckon.

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:02 AM   #1700
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post

I have actually been thinking on how to properly demonstrate the difference - without as you say, "burning" out the camera's CCD. I have been known to do an occasional bit of photography now and then so it should not be too difficult.

Watch this space. I am off to a Warbirds Airshow in Temora, NSW (Oz) in a coupla weeks and it should be nice 'n' dark to do things. But depends on which camera I take with me - if I take the DSLR no probs. The little point and shoot, weeeeelll maybe not so easy. iPhone? It'd get nuked I reckon.

viz
How about taking the shots from the rider's point of view, and use a fixed shutter speed and lens opening? Using the different lights and then the full UFO extravaganza?

I know even with the 44s only the head on shots are blinding.

Looking forward to the pics.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:11 AM   #1701
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,211
Important Ordering Information!!

Hey guys,

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to order lights and accessories from ADVmonster.com on Nov 5th or Nov 12th.

Online credit card processing will not be available on the following dates at the following times due to site maintenance:

Saturday, Nov. 5, from 5 p.m. - 9 p.m. Pacific Time.

Saturday, Nov. 12, from 8:30 p.m. - 1 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 13, Pacific Time.

If you need to place an order during those times please contact us either via email or by phone.

I apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

Dave

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #1702
snoopy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
I have two, Model24-3mode for sale.
Still brand new and in their boxes, never used but tested with battery, yes, they work great.
No bike anymore to put them on.
Cheers but I reckon the toggle feature will be a PITA when I switch to main beam as it toggles the head lamp very briefly.

Spots were 9W (3x3w) which were upgraded to 11W (3x4w) running slightly below power due to the driver. The driver in this is able to take up to 30v while the 24w one is up to 24v.

Also for the record neither spot or flood models have overheat protection in the driver circuits, the lights are designed for water usage which is a much better heatsink than air. This is why some have had LED burn on the 24w models and why I personally don't use them. I've got a 9W and an 11W using flood lenses (you can buy cree lenses on ebay for very little).

http://www.andrewcharnley.com
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #1703
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Also for the record neither spot or flood models have overheat protection in the driver circuits, the lights are designed for water usage which is a much better heatsink than air. This is why some have had LED burn on the 24w models and why I personally don't use them. I've got a 9W and an 11W using flood lenses (you can buy cree lenses on ebay for very little).

All of our Auxiliary lights have a thermal protector which lowers power output when a preset temperature is reached in order to protect the LED clusters and the internal circuitry. Once they have cooled they will switch back to their previous preset output range.

Though the housings do share a similar appearance to other lights on the market, the internal systems which power them have been specially designed by us for the express purpose of motorcycle use.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #1704
snoopy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
All of our Auxiliary lights have a thermal protector which lowers power output when a preset temperature is reached in order to protect the LED clusters and the internal circuitry. Once they have cooled they will switch back to their previous preset output range.

Though the housings do share a similar appearance to other lights on the market, the internal systems which power them have been specially designed by us for the express purpose of motorcycle use.
I wouldn't mind a picture of this internal driver you use. Why don't you post one up? If it were true some of your customers wouldn't be returning/replacing their units due to LED burn.

Secondly, if you were designing for the "express purpose of motorcycle use" then me thinks you would not have sold them with the crap bracket that comes from the factory.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #1705
euhero987
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I was searching for endless time and finally got what i need. I will use this kind of led lights
euhero987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #1706
bluzman
BluezMan

Oddometer: 68
any chance of you supplying a non wireless dimmer ?
i dont do wireless...
Old 11-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #1707
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzman View Post
i dont do wireless...
We've been working on a design. Nothing has been able to stand up to the abuse of off road riding thus far. So nothing in the short term.

Snoopy - you are obviously using lights from somewhere else, we don't have 9w or 11w lights. And all of our lights have overtemp protection built in. If you are having problems with your lights, why not contact the company that sold them to you?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #1708
heilong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzman View Post
i dont do wireless...
If you're a DIYer, you can make it yourself. For example:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=395

Here's the one I used:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=605
I've thrown away the plastic casing. The PCB itself is 50x50x14mm, pretty slim, I've desoldered the green terminal block from the board and soldered
in/out wires there, also desoldered the pot connector from the board and soldered longer wires in place (this is not necessary if the length of the original
pot wires is enough). Then I went to a local electronics DIY shop and bought a 50x50x15mm plastic case and some special 2-part compound used for
sealing electronics modules. The compound is waterproof, dielectric, a good heat conductor (allowing proper cooling for the dimmer's electronic components) , and
it cures to a solid but somewhat elastic substance, which is good for vibration resistance.. The wires bundle just stick up from the sealed module.
I also bought some very nice panel-mount IP67 sealed potentiometer made by Vishay-Sfernice to use instead of the pot supplied with the dimmer. If using the supplied pot,
it should be put into an enclosure (e.g. a small plastic case) for water resistance, otherwise I don't think it would last long. The sealed pot costs more than a couple
of these chinese-made dimmers, but should last a lifetime. The sealing compound has also cost me a bit (the local Russian shops are all quite expensive), so the final
product costs maybe 5x of the dimmer's cost. But I like the final result :)
Here's a dimmer just like I bought (well at least it's the same case, innards might be different, as is usual with Chinese-made goods - it's common to several factories buy
the same cases/enclosures/flashlight bodies from a single (or several other) manufacturers and put their own, widely differing electronics inside, so it's best to ask the seller
for a photo of the internals):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-12V-8...item336cbea9a6
And here's the sealed pot I'm using:
http://www.newark.com/vishay-sfernic...-1w/dp/76M9955

Here's a pic of my dimmer with the original pot enclosed in a small plastic case and the Vishay-Sfernice sealed pot beside it.

heilong screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 07:50 AM
heilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #1709
heilong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
I wouldn't mind a picture of this internal driver you use. Why don't you post one up? If it were true some of your customers wouldn't be returning/replacing their units due to LED burn.

Secondly, if you were designing for the "express purpose of motorcycle use" then me thinks you would not have sold them with the crap bracket that comes from the factory.

Dude, it was already discussed, you just have to read thru all the 115 pages of this thread :)
Here's a link to the pics and tests made by an inmate: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=305
The lights do have thermal protection, and it works. Don't be so certain in your skepticism before you get the facts straight.

Judging by the number of people reporting problems with the brackets, they are adequate for most users. This probably depends mostly on the particular mounting locations chosen by the users. Some people might need the heavy-duty bracket, indeed, but I suppose the majority doesn't. I like my equipment to be as durable and reliable as possible, so I did pick up the heavy-duty brackets for my lights, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have any problems with the original brackets.

Quote:
Also for the record neither spot or flood models have overheat protection in the driver circuits, the lights are designed for water usage which is a much better heatsink than air.
In a modern world many, if not most, products are made in China. It's quite common for manufacturers in China to mix and match components from different suppliers to make their own products. So inside an identically looking enclosures/cases/bodies might be completely different internal parts. If an entrepreneur/small-business owner/inventor has a product idea, it's more economical, practical and faster to use readily available components for the product, than to custom design and produce all the parts. Small orders with manufacturers are usually very expensive (per item), so it makes a lot of sense to not use custom parts when and where possible. Thus a company like ADV Monster selects a readily available light housing, the LED assembly, and designs their own rugged electronics driver to power the light (plus who knows what other parts and mods). So even if they look 100% identical to a model of underwater aquarium lights, it's quite probable that they are not them, but instead are former underwater lights adapted and upgraded for motorcycle use.

heilong screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 06:06 AM
heilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #1710
snoopy
Gnarly Adventurer

The way I see it these guys have bulk ordered from the Chinese factory and say they've made some super-duper changes yet the facts are;

1. this light is designed for under water. It requires a bigger heatsink for sustained usage in air or movement.
2. the bracket is designed for a fish tank, and they passed on the original bracket for use on a motorcycle. It is clearly going to fail but is a matter of time and frequency of the engine.
3. the lights they sell exhibit LED burn, indicating they are using the same internal electronics.

If you're happy to take their word for it then fine. I'll keep my scepticism until proved otherwise with proper evidence.