Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #46
robpur
Rider

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclebot View Post
We will try them with the Free Talk Radios you are having issues with. I am thinking maybe the issue is with your headset or maybe with speaker placement.

The Midland CB and GMRS and Motorola radios I have tested them with all have ample volume output.
It will be interesting to hear the results of your Kenwood TK-3131 test. However, my application requires the use of a Motorola twin-pin connector with radios that have a removable antenna. I had trouble with the Motorola's and then tried the Kenwood just to see if it worked any better. Which Motorola radios did you test with? Single-pin or dual-pin?

Speaker placement is not an issue. As I mentioned in my review, the test was done with an SMH10/SR10 combo on one end, and a two-way radio being held in the hand on the other end. Microphone placement isn't the issue either since SMH10 to SMH10 helmet to helmet works great with plenty of volume, and during my two-way radio test I pushed the microphone right against my lips and the volume was still quite low.

Rob
robpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #47
cyclebot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by robpur View Post
It will be interesting to hear the results of your Kenwood TK-3131 test. However, my application requires the use of a Motorola twin-pin connector with radios that have a removable antenna. I had trouble with the Motorola's and then tried the Kenwood just to see if it worked any better. Which Motorola radios did you test with? Single-pin or dual-pin?

Speaker placement is not an issue. As I mentioned in my review, the test was done with an SMH10/SR10 combo on one end, and a two-way radio being held in the hand on the other end. Microphone placement isn't the issue either since SMH10 to SMH10 helmet to helmet works great with plenty of volume, and during my two-way radio test I pushed the microphone right against my lips and the volume was still quite low.

Rob
I've used the single pin Motorola Talkabout radios, and standard consumer Midland GMRS/FRS radios. The Midland CB was the 78-22 handheld CB radios. What was the model number of the Motorola radio you are using?
cyclebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #48
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 556
Mine works great
Attached Images

ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #49
robpur
Rider

Quote:
I've used the single pin Motorola Talkabout radios, and standard consumer Midland GMRS/FRS radios. The Midland CB was the 78-22 handheld CB radios. What was the model number of the Motorola radio you are using?
I have two Motorola compatible radios, which use Motorola accessories such as headsets and microphones. One is a Blackbox-U, and the other is an HYT TC-500. The radios are nearly identical since they are both made my HYT. They are programmable UHF business band radios which I have set to GMRS frequencies.

http://tinyurl.com/3se7nxk

http://www.edgedistributors.net/TC-500.htm

Rob
Old 11-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #50
robpur
Rider

I decided to do a bit more testing today. I used three radios, a Kenwood TK-3131, a Blackbox-U, and an HYT TC-500. I also used two different headsets, the Sena SMH10/SR10 combo with both the Kenwood and Motorola twin-pin connecting cables, and a Motocomm wired headset, with adapters for both radios types. I gave a radio to my wife which she hand held in her office, while I switched between the various headsets and radios in a different part of the building.

Nothing new to report with the radio test. I found everything to work correctly when speaking directly into the radio, and when using the wired Motocomm helmet headset. However, when using the SMH10/SR10 combo, my wife could barely hear me. The volume was dramatically lower when using the Senas compared to the wired headset and the built-in radio microphone.

I took my testing one step further this time. I paired a Plantronics Voyager Pro Bluetooth headset with the SR10. I found the volume to be quite good when using the SR10 with the Plantronics instead of the SMH10. So there could be an issue with my SMH10, and not the SR10. I would like to test with a different SMH10 but I don't have one available at the moment. My riding partner has one but he's out of town for a while so I'll have to wait until he gets back.

It's a little surprising to me that the evidence now points toward an issue with the SMH10 since helmet to helmet communication with my riding partner has worked well. The audio has been loud and clear, even through earplugs.

Come to think of it, I don't think that we have used helmet to helmet intercom since I upgraded the firmware in the SMH10. Wonder if that could be part of the issue. I'll have to wait until I have another SMH10 around for testing which won't be for another week or two when my riding partner gets back from vacation.

Rob
Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #51
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Does anyone know of a vendor that sells them that offers a "no questions asked" return policy??

I'm willing to buy and try one if I can return it if it doesn't work properly or as advertised.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #52
robpur
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
Does anyone know of a vendor that sells them that offers a "no questions asked" return policy??

I'm willing to buy and try one if I can return it if it doesn't work properly or as advertised.
This would be a good question for CycleBots, but "no questions asked" might be a bit much to expect from a small retailer. Returning a product because it doesn't perform as advertised is quite reasonable, but returning something due to nit picky reasons, or buyers remorse can put a strain on small retailers.

I've purchased twice from CycleBots and have been reasonably happy in spite of issues with both orders. I purchased an SMH10 earlier this year just as the new model was coming out. I was told that the old model was not in stock, and that the new model would arrive the following week, but when mine arrived, it was the old model. I contacted CycleBots and they were surprised to hear it, saying that Sena must have slipped some older models in with their shipment of the new model. I sent it back and CycleBots sent the new model. The same thing happened with my riding partner. A few months later I pre-ordered an SR10 and a Motorola twin-pin cable. Eventually it arrived, but with the wrong cable. I received a Kenwood cable instead of the Motorola cable I ordered. While talking on the phone with CycleBots, I realized why the mistake was made. The model number on the invoice matched the model number on the cable package, but the description was different. Somehow CycleBots got the part numbers mixed up in their computer. CycleBots offered to send a call tag so I didn't have to pay for return shipping to exchange the cable, but I decided to keep the Kenwood cable since I also have a Kenwood radio. However, I made a deal with them to purchase a Motorola cable and not pay shipping.

My point is that even though I had some issues with my CycleBots orders, the company took care of the problems. I tend to judge companies based not only on their advertised policies, but how they respond when something goes wrong, and so far CycleBots has done well.

Technical support from CycleBots has been so so. I had a problem with my first SR10 making popcorn sounds and I had to wiggle and pull on the connector to get the auxiliary jacks to work. I sent it back, they tested it, and said that they could not find anything wrong with it. However, they did send me a different SR10 that didn't have the popcorn sound and the auxiliary jacks worked correctly. So I'm happy that they didn't just test mine, say that it was OK, and send the same one back to me. I'm glad that they took the extra customer service step to send out a different SR10 in spite of the fact that they believed mine was working properly.

Email support responses have been their weakest area. I tend to write the details of my issues, but based on the responses I've received, I'm not sure that my descriptions have been read carefully. For example, when I sent back the SR10 complaining about the popcorn noise, I sent a letter describing the testing that I had done, which included turning off all the WiFi, Bluetooth, cordless phones, and whatever I could find in my house operating in the 2.5 GHz band which could cause the noise. I received a note with the replacement SR10 stating that I probably have too many devices operating int he 2.5 GHz band causing the noise. The note was attached to a copy of my letter describing how I turned off darn near everything in my house trying to get rid of the noise. Another example is CycleBots suggestion that the low two-way radio volume issue I've experienced could be caused by speaker placement. My review on this board clearly stated that my tests were done with my wife holding a two-way radio in her hands, and that she was having difficulty hearing me. She was not wearing a helmet, and therefore speaker placement was not an issue. Come on guys, read a little closer. :-)

I've talked about some shipping issues I've had with CycleBots, and have criticized some of their support responses, but I would not hesitate to do business with them again. In each case so far they have made things right, without hassle. However, I've never tested their return policies, and I hope to resolve my issues rather than return the SR10. If I find it necessary to return the SR10, then it could be a challenge since CycleBots has a 30 day return policy, but delays caused by getting the wrong cable, replacement of a defective SR10, and another week or two wait so I can try the SR10 with a different SMH10 push me way over the 30 return period.

I understand your desire to purchase from a reseller that will take the product back if it doesn't work for you, but some reasons for return are better than others. If it doesn't work as advertised then certainly any retailer should take it back. If it doesn't do something that you could reasonably expect it to do, such as work with your model of cell phone or peripherals, and you can't live with that limitation, then I believe that it's reasonable to return the item. However, I don't believe that people should order things to play with and then return them for nit picky reasons (not that you would).

I pre-ordered the SR10, consider myself an early adopter, and expect to have issues and surprises. I do expect for all of the core features to work, and for them to work with my peripherals, but not for every little feature to work the way that I've dreamed. For example, I plan to bury the SR10 into my top box and let it live there with my two-way radio. I figure that I will have to open my trunk to turn the SR10 and radio on before each ride, but will the SMH10 easily sync up with the SR10 each time, or will I have to fiddle with it? Also, what's going to happen when I park my bike and head into a burger joint with my helmet and go out of range. Will the SMH10 and SR10 automatically sync back up when I get back to the bike, or will I have to open my trunk and fiddle with it each time. These are the kinds of things that I'll learn as time goes on, but it's not the kind of thing that would cause me to return the item even if it's annoying.

If you are willing to take some of the responsibility of an early adopter, then great. Jump in, give it a try, return it if you have some major issue, but be ready to live with the little stuff that may annoy you. If you want to play it safe, then wait until next spring or summer after more people have used it and have shared their experiences.

Geez, this got long. I started to say that CycleBots has worked for me, so give them a try, but it ended up being much more. Sorry. :-)

Rob

robpur screwed with this post 11-05-2011 at 09:48 PM
Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #53
cyclebot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
@ Rob

Thanks for the honest opinion, I do apologize for the mis-shipments of products in the past, but hopefully we were able to adequately resolve the issues. It is difficult to diagnose problems with advanced Bluetooth devices over the phone or email, as there are so many variables. I think I may be leaning towards a bad headset on your end now.

I would test how the volume is with your phone, as it there may be something wrong with that channels audio levels (HSP profile).

@ Dagwood

We will take the product back within 30 days if you are not satisfied with it. We would like to know the reason you are returning a product, so we know what to do with it. (basically call us to get an RMA).
cyclebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #54
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,885
Quote:
Hey guys, hadn't checked in for a while on this thread. It has been a little bit of a learning curve on the connectors for the different radios, such as with Tom's Yaesu. Anywhoo, the Sena SR10 will work with the Cardo lineup of products (although probably best with the Sena).
So you are confident the SR10's should work fine with the Scala Q2's? My wife and I are coming up on 2.5 years owning our Q2's which are still working great, but when its time to upgrade, the Sena's are at the top of our list. However at this point we can't do both SMH10's and SR10's, so the SR10's are winning out as what we currently need. I just need to just make sure they will work with our current Q2's for the time being and later will upgrade.

We both have Yaesu FTM-10SR's Ham Radio's on our motorcycles. My current setup is the Q2 connected to the BU-1 BT chip in the Yaesu radio's. Audio wise its fine, but the huge drawback is the audio path is always active, so you can't use the intercom or the music input, plus it kills the battery quicker in the headset. Supposedly a headset that supports A2DP wouldn't have this issue, but I still find that hard to believe and I still wouldn't be able to sync my cell phone into the mix which I'm also missing, so the SR10 solves all this. So my main question is besides for a successful pairing between the SR10 and Scala Q2, does it allow the audio path to drop when no audio is coming from the SR10 and does it automatically re-establish the audio path when it detects audio again? Webbike World's review says it works like this with the SMH10, so hopefully it will work the same way with the Q2.

I would imagine there probably isn't a cord for the Yaesu FTM-10R (although it does use the same type of connections as Yaesu's VX-8R), so maybe there is? I'm thinking I'll need to purchase a bare wire cord for the SR10 and one for the FTM-10R and connect them together. I'm also excited about the SR10 because I could use a ham radio HT when I'm not on my main bike with the Ham Radio, or we could use some FRS/GMRS radio's when other people in a group use them or while dual sport riding and don't want to damage a Ham Radio. Lots of options out there and the SR10 really fits the bill nice.

Plus, the main reason my wife is supporting this purchase is with my current setup when I'm riding solo and my Ham radio is synced in, my cell phone is not and she would rather I have my cell phone connected too.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #55
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I'm interested in hearing more about iPhone pairing. I currently have the old style SMH10 (non-USB) paired directly to my iPhone. I plan on adding the SR10 in order to add both the Garmin Montana and my Yaesu VX5 into the mix. I stream music from the iPhone (with the SMH10 able to control the basic iPod functions, I don't want to lose this), and very rarely use the phone feature (mostly for calling my wife to tell her I'm on my way home from work). I'd like to keep the iPhone paired to the SMH10 for music, then add the SR10 for everything else.

Thoughts?
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #56
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek94 View Post
I'm interested in hearing more about iPhone pairing. I currently have the old style SMH10 (non-USB) paired directly to my iPhone. I plan on adding the SR10 in order to add both the Garmin Montana and my Yaesu VX5 into the mix. I stream music from the iPhone (with the SMH10 able to control the basic iPod functions, I don't want to lose this), and very rarely use the phone feature (mostly for calling my wife to tell her I'm on my way home from work). I'd like to keep the iPhone paired to the SMH10 for music, then add the SR10 for everything else.

Thoughts?
Pair your iPhone as one connection on your SMH and pair the SR as the second connection. Connect everything else to your SR. Works the same.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #57
rjudge
Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer: 195
Kenwood FreetalkXLS TK-3131?

Has anyone else besides robpur tried a Kenwood TK-3131 with the SR10? Anyone get it to work?

I've also got a Cobra 38WXST handheld CB I'd like to try. It has dual pin setup for a headset plug and a 10mm pin distance. Sena has two different adapters with a 10mm pin distance, one for Icom and one for Midland. Anyone know which cable will work with the Cobra?

Thanks!

RJ
Old 11-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #58
kevin2735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Was reading through the posts here, lots of good information. Trying to wrap my head around this, so this may be a dumb question.

When the SR10 is in operation, let say with a hardwired 2 way radio connection and a hardwired, or BT, to an iPhone. Can you listen to music in the background while chatting with people either on BT with other SMH10 units or 2way radio simultaneously?

I am looking for the autocom feature where I can intercom with people but still have music or GPS commands playing in the background.

If I understand it correctly, I can so long as they are all going through the SR10 and not SMH10 to SMH10?

http://kevin2735.blogspot.com/
kevin2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #59
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2735 View Post
Was reading through the posts here, lots of good information. Trying to wrap my head around this, so this may be a dumb question.

When the SR10 is in operation, let say with a hardwired 2 way radio connection and a hardwired, or BT, to an iPhone. Can you listen to music in the background while chatting with people either on BT with other SMH10 units or 2way radio simultaneously?

I am looking for the autocom feature where I can intercom with people but still have music or GPS commands playing in the background.

If I understand it correctly, I can so long as they are all going through the SR10 and not SMH10 to SMH10?
That's not how any Bluetooth works. The gps will override any music/conversation. Any conversation will override music. Only one audio source will be heard at a time.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #60
kevin2735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReactorTrip View Post
That's not how any Bluetooth works. The gps will override any music/conversation. Any conversation will override music. Only one audio source will be heard at a time.
When you say over ride, do you mean that with the SR10 you have to switch between devices yourself, or does the unit do it for you?

I know when I am on intercom direct with three SMH10's, I have to switch between them. I guess what I would like to have more detail on is how the SR10 switches between sources.

http://kevin2735.blogspot.com/
kevin2735 is offline   Reply With Quote