Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #46
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
It's hell getting old, isn't it Garfey?!?!?!?!? Better start now getting your sleep pattern adjusted.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #47
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1 View Post
It's hell getting old, isn't it Garfey?!?!?!?!? Better start now getting your sleep pattern adjusted.
Yeah, but not having to go to (w o r k) gives me a big advantage.
I was runnin' on 1-2 hrs sleep a day last year (well, actually this year, the 2011 race), in the chair at the PC, mostly, but it caught up with me on the next-to-last day, IIRC, and I crashed - hard!

garfey screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 06:01 AM
garfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #48
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,562
I've been working hard on getting the opening chapters of the book complete prior to leaving for the race. Things seem to be coming along quite well. I hesitate to post anything from the book as its all in very rough draft so take it with a grain of salt of please....

A snippet from Chapter Two - The Team

A fellow who goes by the handle of Neduro on the internet will be the second rider on the team. Ned Seuse is a well known personality on the web and in the dual sport world. He has created a couple of how to videos for folks to learn proper technique while riding dual sport bikes. A few other entrepreneurial endeavours of creating pieces of equipment for dual sport bikes have contributed to his notoriety. This would be Ned’s first stab at the big one after several smaller sized rallies and desert races. I hadn’t met Ned before although I had read many of his race and ride reports on the internet and by all accounts he has a reputation as an all around nice guy. Ned had started a website and blog dedicated to his bike preparation and offering sponsor swag in exchange for a few bucks to help him with his finances for this race. I had already purchased some goodies from him a few weeks before and was eagerly anticipating following his attempt at the race, having him on the team was a great surprise to me. When I asked Charlie if he had met Ned before and if so what qualities he had that would lead to a success of crossing the finish line, Charlie had this to say “I've known Ned for years. He has called me constantly over the years pumping me for information about rallying. He started clueless, but now I think he is one of the most knowledgeable local people in regards to rallying. We met in person when he came out to one of our team testing sessions with riders Jonah and Casey McCoy at the Dumont Dunes (near Death Valley) in the summer of 2006. Ned is a very solid rider and very well prepared. I'd give him a great chance of finishing well. His most amazing talent is in self-promotion. He probably has a bigger fan base and more supporters now than Jonah. Ned and I have ridden together lots and we are both part of a small clique of American rally fanatics who run private rallies as often as we can”.

I have gotten to know Ned a bit over the last few months via emails and he comes across as a very friendly person. When asked what his goals were for the race his answer was “For me, the challenge of the Dakar is personal, not competitive- I want to finish, and if I'm dead last, that's fine with me”. Ned started a blog about his preparation for the race and began posting up information on his bike build and his physical training program. To say that attention to detail has been put into his bike is one heck of an understatement. He, along with a couple of his good buddies have built an extremely well thought out bike. Custom made fairing and aluminum support brackets amongst other details are engineering feats. I began to consider just how much prep Ned was doing for this event. The Dakar is full of clichés, one of which is “just getting to starting line is half the battle”. I knew this but watching the preparation Ned was doing really made this sink in. The list of details that go into being a competitor are mind numbing.

Based on all the preparation Ned was doing to get ready I had to ask him what was making him nervous going into the race. “The thing I'm most nervous about is having the chance to test myself taken from me, by a bike failure or navigation problem. I know that it will be an incredible test, and also an incredible joy to do the race, what I'm worried is that something unforeseeable, like a 5 cent seal, could fail in the bike and leave all the sacrifice of preparing for naught. There's nothing for it but to try, though!” I believe it is safe to say, based on what I have seen and read that Ned is about as prepared as a person could be.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #49
rallyman1978
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
This has all the hallmarks of being a truelly epic thread
Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #50
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,751
Ted,

Excellent start on the book, makes me want more! Don't worry, I will still buy a copy even after reading any snipets you choose to post here
Old 11-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #51
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
Excellent Ted!
That is a great start and I really appreciate you sharing it on there.
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #52
Robb Mc
what?

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Charlie had this to say “I've known Ned for years. He has called me constantly over the years pumping me for information about rallying. He started clueless, but now I think he is one of the most knowledgeable local people in regards to rallying. We met in person when he came out to one of our team testing sessions with riders Jonah and Casey McCoy at the Dumont Dunes (near Death Valley) in the summer of 2006”.
Heck, let's fire up the wayback machine.. back to when Ned had hair.. Pics from that first fateful trip to Dumont for Ned..

L to R: Frederico, Poll, Ned, Casey, Jonah

L to R: Jonah, Casey, Ned

L to R: Poll, Pedro, Jonah, Ned, Frederico, Casey, Me
Robb Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #53
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,177
Well... he's lighter and more streamlined now... anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb McElroy View Post
Heck, let's fire up the wayback machine.. back to when Ned had hair...
So Robb... is there some correlation to Ned making your acquaintance and his ensuing loss of hair in the subsequent years... or is is that like... just a coincidence...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #54
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,535
Quote:
Heck, let's fire up the wayback machine.. back to when Ned had hair..
Yep, it all started years ago. You can see in this old photo that Ned had already caught the Dakar disorder, way back then. It just took a couple of years to spread into the core parts of his brain. At the time he claimed he had the cure, and he wouldn't have to ever do Dakar, but I knew better.

HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #55
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
GO Deadly, the race of 2012, the new book, the DVD , what ever , we are doing the count down almost like all the teams. Congrats to an awesome group of people in making this happen.

gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #56
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,313
Can't wait for your updates! My F5 finger is getting twitchy already! The mailman brought me something today

Old 11-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #57
JoDawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Ted you are a busy man this year. The new web site for the TCAT and now this! WOW!! When the book is available get some copies to me for distribution in the store.

Good Luck to you and the team

Cheers, Jody

JoDawg

2009 F800GS
BMWMOA #146900
JoDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #58
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDawg View Post
Ted you are a busy man this year. The new web site for the TCAT and now this! WOW!! When the book is available get some copies to me for distribution in the store.

Good Luck to you and the team

Cheers, Jody

Old 11-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #59
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Just to keep the bal rolling here is another excerpt from the book. Again I hesitate to put any of this "out there" as it is a first draft prior to any editing so please take it as what it is.

From Chapter Three - The Race

The racers on the RPA team all have a different agenda. I expect that for Jonah the expectation from many and from himself is to achieve a respectable finish. Ned has indicated he just hopes to just finish, although I am sure deep down inside he has a position in mind as a goal, after all he is a competitive person and experienced racer. I havent checked with Bill yet but I assume he falls into the same category as Ned. Whichever mind set they are in, one thing is true and that is that they are racing against time. For the top racers like Jonah this is an obvious thing to say, after all his time decides his placing at the end of the race. What is not obvious is that the privateers (racers without a full sponsorship who cover their own costs) are also racing time. Terms like the snowball effect or the trickle effect are used to describe this race against time. On the surface it looks like someone could set a gentle pace and finish each day near the back of the pack and in turn get a finishers medal. The reality is that this is not true. Every minute or hour they spend on the track is a minute or hour they don’t have at the end of the day to rest, eat and prepare for the next day. This is compounded by any misfortunes they have along the way. A crash or a breakdown that must be dealt with adds to the delay in getting to the days finish line and again eats into a racers time to properly prepare for the next day. The lack of preparation can and will begin to compound on a racer. Not enough sleep, lack of time to prepare their road book, lack of time to have their race equipment prepared and a lack of time to get enough food into them all lessen the chances of a successful finish not to mention that it begins to add to the danger factor to both racer and machine. The bike racers also have the cars and trucks to deal with. The top racers, like Jonah, probably don’t have this issue as the cars and trucks don’t typically catch up to them but the rest of the competitors do. The cars and trucks create massive dust clouds and pose a serious risk to the bike racers. The bikes are equipped with an alarm system that warns them of an approaching truck. This enables them to pull off to the side to let the truck pass safely, seems good but if you factor in that this adds time to their day then you begin to realize how the slower you go, the more trucks will pass you. This can contribute greatly to the snowball effect. So how does a racer not succumb to the dangers of the snowball effect? The answer seems simple and obvious, speed. Many privateers talk of riding at 80% of their top speed. At first I thought heck that sounds like a nice comfy trail ride but after giving this a lot of thought I realized that most competitors are very accomplished racers and their version of 80% is probably my version of 150%.
Charlie Rauseo has this advice in regards to the snowball effect “Ride Clean and Fast. Ride as fast as you comfortably can with very little risk of falling. Be opportunistic. When you can, twist the throttle to the stop. When conditions are tricky, slow down and survive. Save yourself and your bike, but don’t lose focus. Keep eating miles voraciously. Remember that falling wastes time on the trail and in the bivouac, so stay upright at all costs. When you get to the bivouac, take care of business as quickly and efficiently as possible. Don’t waste even a minute on a non-essential item. Make and follow a schedule of daily bivouac tasks. Get to sleep, and do it again. If possible, have an efficient, competent and dependable support crew”. The more I learn about the Dakar the more I begin to understand just what it takes for someone to get to finish line. People enter the race to challenge themselves; it is becoming very obvious that to get to the finish line means pushing your body, machine and your mind to the limits of what they can endure.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #60
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Heck, let's fire up the wayback machine.. back to when Ned had hair.. Pics from that first fateful trip to Dumont for Ned..
By the way, the Ford with #642 on the side in those photos is the same truck that is now waiting to board the boat in France and will chase our 3 intrepid riders and carry this crew through the 2012 Dakar. I call the truck "grandpa." It has now done 3 African Dakars, 1 Central Europe Rally (with a top speed run from Lisbon to Budapest), and 2 South American Dakars. I've had all the wheels feet off the ground in the Mauritanian dunes and Robb has had the brakes on fire in the Andes. What could possibly go wrong?
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote